Entry Draft Lottery results a big secret

Status
Not open for further replies.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
turnbuckle said:
Why keep them in there? So you're anticipating the next pick and it's.....New York again. Remove the team's balls when they're picked. Easy.
How do you remove easily the other balls of the picked team if every ball left in the basket is identical (outside)? That sounds a waste of time to me.

turnbuckle said:
Now that makes little sense. What if New York's last ball picked is 41? That means they'll get the 41st pick in the first round? What if a team with one ball picked ball number 48 - they get stuck with the 48th pick in the first round?
C'mon, you have to make a little and quick adjustment to make it having a lot of sense. The first team that has no more any balls left gets position #30. The second team that has no more any balls left gets #29 and so on..

Last edited:

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Putting the 2 minute lottery on TV isn't going to any effect on the game to make it better, Rule changes it will. Once again your argument is a bad one.
Once again you have no argument at all.
Do advertisements directly affect the game? No. So they should not use them?

Read Matt MacInnis’ post. Add the fact that doing holding it properly in front of cameras would help credibility and hamper suspects.
So you have:
- exposure (not great exposure? Only towards those who are real fans already? Still better than nothing.)
- fans’ satisfaction (i’m confident you would watch it as well if televised where you live, since we all know that the key moment will be the draw of the first overall and not the draft of the first overall, that we already know who will be)
- some credibility to earn.
- nothing to lose.

Oh, and in case you miss it, the whole draft order has to be drawn so it’s not going to be a 2 minute lottery.

FLYLine4LIFE said:
They dont need to televise the Lottery to be able to have in dept point of views on what they think teams will now pick.
Once again you are just saying that televising it would not bring this particular benefit (while it would give a couple of others that you ignore) instead of finding good reasons to not televise it.. just because there aren’t.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
helicecopter said:
How do you remove easily the other balls of the picked team if every ball left in the basked is identical (outside)? That sounds a waste of time to me.

And if they did have an easy way to do it, then it really would look fixed.

Nah, I agree, much easier to just toss a ball out if it comes up after a team already has a pick. Or the reverse order idea of drawing all the balls, is pretty interesting, would make for better TV, and would not change the odds.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
FLYLine4LIFE said:
They dont need to televise the Lottery to be able to have in dept point of views on what they think teams will now pick.

Aren't you interested in seeing the reactions of the GM's as it happens?

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
I don't get the "exposure" argument. It assumes that a network would actually want to carry it. Die hards would already watch, but they're not enough. It wouldn't get covered in the US outside of ESPNnews, the casual fan isn't going to tune into ESPNnews to see it (if they even get it, which most don't). The NBA draft lottery, by comparison, holds more interest because the average viewer knows most of the players that are going to be drafted in the first round, having watched them in college (for the picks that went to college), and the NBA draft is a much bigger affair as well, and the NBA does it during the playoffs when interest for the sport is high. There is little to no reason for a network to carry it.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Dr Love said:
I don't get the "exposure" argument. It assumes that a network would actually want to carry it. Die hards would already watch, but they're not enough. It wouldn't get covered in the US outside of ESPNnews, the casual fan isn't going to tune into ESPNnews to see it (if they even get it, which most don't). The NBA draft lottery, by comparison, holds more interest because the average viewer knows most of the players that are going to be drafted in the first round, having watched them in college (for the picks that went to college), and the NBA draft is a much bigger affair as well, and the NBA does it during the playoffs when interest for the sport is high. There is little to no reason for a network to carry it.

If, while the draft was going on, the potential picks were playing poker while waiting, and this was all televised, then I think you'd see some real ratings...

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Dr Love said:
I don't get the "exposure" argument. It assumes that a network would actually want to carry it. Die hards would already watch, but they're not enough. It wouldn't get covered in the US outside of ESPNnews, the casual fan isn't going to tune into ESPNnews to see it (if they even get it, which most don't).

The issue is that many NHL hardcore fans want to see it. These people didn't desert hockey during the lockout. They're starving for hockey. This is a chance to give them a little snack. NHL Productions could offer a live feed available to all networks including the internet. If networks choose not to pick it up it's not the NHL's problem. The fans anger would be redirected at the networks instead of the NHL.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Buffaloed said:
The issue is that many NHL hardcore fans want to see it. These people didn't desert hockey during the lockout. They're starving for hockey. This is a chance to give them a little snack. NHL Productions could offer a live feed available to all networks including the internet. If networks choose not to pick it up it's not the NHL's problem. The fans anger would be redirected at the networks instead of the NHL.
Putting in on the internet is a good idea. But I was speaking of the people who want ESPN or NBC to air it. They have no reason to.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Dr Love said:

It's always about the US and US fans, altough no one care in the US.

How about people in Canada who care and who would watch ? TSN would show it, and people would watch.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
I remember the incredible excitement of watching the "Making the Cut" draft lottery. It was a moment that I will remember forever. Especially seeing those 6 GMs sitting nervously on their stools, it was legendary. I hope we see the same format Thursday!

;)

Oil_slick9416*

the title should be changed. the results are being kept secret, its the drawing process that is being held behind closed doors and that in itself isn't excatly keeping it "secret"

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
There WILL be 30 teams' representatives behind these closed doors too you know- all of whom would love to get Crosby. It's not just Bettman and a bottle of Jack Daniels.

heh.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Dr Love said:
Putting in on the internet is a good idea. But I was speaking of the people who want ESPN or NBC to air it. They have no reason to.

Since a feed isn't being made available:
ESPN will probably say, "we would have aired it, but it was never made available".
NBC's line will may be, "we would have considered airing all or part of it, but we weren't given the opportunity to consider it."

They have no reason to say they wouldn't carry it unless the NHL offers it.

I would imagine that nearly every cable carrier that has its own sports network would show it. The audio feed would be broadcast widely by sports radio programs too. Even if a major network doesn't show it, most people could either watch or listen to it.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Buffaloed said:
ESPN will probably say, "we would have aired it, but it was never made available".
NBC's line will may be, "we would have considered airing all or part of it, but we weren't given the opportunity to consider it."

They have no reason to say they wouldn't carry it unless the NHL offers it.
I'm assuming it'll be done in the afternoon. NBC's line will be that in order to show it they would have had to pre-empt local broadcasting and as such cut into their revenue. Since ESPN currently has no contract with the NHL, they are under no obligation to show it. And if it's in the evening--same deal.

Buffaloed said:
I would imagine that nearly every cable carrier that has its own sports network would show it. The audio feed would be broadcast widely by sports radio programs too. Even if a major network doesn't show it, most people could either watch or listen to it.
I highly doubt that. They'll continue their FSN feed or 3rd rate poker tour while it happens, maybe in the big markets they'll cut in. And the press conference will follow MLB highlights and NFL training camp preview (they'll be starting a few days later) for the most part. But I don't think it's going to get a lot of play. Networks don't even cut in with updates for the baseball draft itself.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
Buffaloed said:
ESPN will probably say, "what lottery?"
NBC's line will may be, "the lockout is over?"

:biglaugh:

I kid, I kid. I'm sure they will pretend to have heard of the lottery and they will show enough fake contrition to make believers out of everyone.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Dr Love said:
I was clearly talking specifically about the US. Hockey doesn't need exposure in Canda.

Yeah but the NHL needs to win back fans even in Canada. They have kept screwing us for the past 10 years by moving teams, making stupid rules that have ruined the game to appeal to american fans and now they won't even make something special for this ? They better unveil the result from 30 to 1, one by one if they don't show the draft live.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
E = CH² said:
Yeah but the NHL needs to win back fans even in Canada. They have kept screwing us for the past 10 years by moving teams, making stupid rules that have ruined the game to appeal to american fans and now they won't even make something special for this ? They better unveil the result from 30 to 1, one by one if they don't show the draft live.

Yeah, or else everyone in Canada will stop watching hockey. FOREVER.

We double-promise.

We double-promise with cherries on top. So help us Dudley Do-Right, we'll sooooo stop watching hockey forever.

Wait, where are you going?

Sorry, baby, we didn't mean to get upset. Please come back.

I'll change, I promise.

Oshawa General

Jul 18, 2005
Something to consider.
It may be diificult to schedule a live TV feed, when Bob Goodenow has delayed this process once again. Players were ready to ratify last Thursday, but he insists on stetching this to the limit, so just maybe he may claim players have not ratified the CBA as of this Thursday (July 21), so much for the live TV draft lottery. Imagine the egg on Gary Bettman's face if he has to delay the draft lottery, if CBA ratification vote is delayed.
Just heard that the press conference for Thursday may now be delayed to Friday.
Go figure

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
No doubt--the "fix" must be in;however if NYR gets the #1,everyone would believe there was a "fix"--so the NHL cannot do that;on the other hand--the only reason for any "fix" is to get Crosby to one of the 3 biggest U.S. media markets --since it won't look Kosher to get him to NYR,that leaves L.A. and Chicago....so here is the real "fix":

(MSG) NYR puts in some 30million $$$ (50%) Chicago and L.A. put in more $$$ --15 million each (25% each)--Bettman then flips a coin between L.A. and CHI ....winner of the flip gets Crosby;NYR is promised Kessel next draft *;loser of the coin flip gets the #2 overall this draft....NYR gets pick #15 this draft ...each of the other teams' Governors get a cash "no questions asked/no report to IRS/or to CRA" envelope containing the number of an offshore account in their name some tax haven country jurisdiction to which $2million is deposited to each of the 27 accounts;plus Mr. Bettman also gets an envelope with a private offsore account number containg with $6million commission deposited....winner of of the coin flip then hands over an envelope to loser containing another offshore account number with half the "put up money" by that team paid back into it...

* NYR is promised Kessel next year--this is "sold" to the fans and media this way:

It is "annnounced" that NYR actually won the lotto--but the NHL BOG's realized this would "look bad"--so they asked NYR to "defer" to next year and instead "go back into the draw" after the next ball pulled out of the drum;so they "announce" that the next ball pulled out went to (insert coin flip winner) and that NYR didn't get a ball pulled out till #15;they announce that because NYR "deferred to make things look more Kosher,that the BOG's unanimously voted to give NYR the #1 pick next draft....

SO --in the (unseen by the public coin flip),let's assume L.A. wins it over Chicago
(even with a 50% chance,the Hawks will have no luck);

THerefore:

Crosby goes to L.A. and CHI gets the #2 pick...

To sum up:

NYR: pick #15+ 1st pick in 2006 draft+ ...paid out: mere chump change for them of $30million...

L.A. Pick #1=paid out ($15 million; +$7.5 re-embursement to $BIll Wirtz)
Total L.A. cost to get Crosby=a mere $22.5 million...

CHI: Pick #2 ( only $7.5 million paid out by $Bill;this for the "opportunity" of a 50% chance at Crosby --and a "guarantee of no worse than a #2 overall pick)...

IF by some miracle the Hawks won the flip--then they pay $22.5 million out to get Crosby and L.A.'s "opportunity risk cost" is only $7.5 million...

This is a "fix" that guarantees Crosby in one of the big 3 U.S. media markets;guarantees Kessel in NYR the following year--putting the 2 "franchise" prospects into two of the top 3 media markets in the U.S. ,and at least "placating" to some degree the fans of the team in either the 2nd or 3rd biggest U.S. media market (whichever of L.A. or CHI loses the flip)...

Bettman retires with an extra "TAX-FREE" $6million (in unreported commmisions) for this MASTER PLAN he's excecuted..

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
It's just that opening the nhl up for charges of "rigging" at this particular time, just seems foolhardy. More negative publicity is the last thing the nhl needs right now.
Broadcasting the drawing "live" is probably not necessary, but just having it taped, so it could be shown on the evening sports broadcasts, would help keep down the conspiracy charges.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They can't show the lottery results live because they already had the draft in the past some time.

Therfore no matter how much Sports Stations beg it would impossible for the NHL to change their mind ..

Think about it .. ?!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad