GDT: Entry Draft 2015 - Part II - Disaster in Sunrise? - 10 AM NHLN - TVA

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I like the Hughes pick a lot. Rated as a 1st-rounder coming into this year, but started the year as a 17-year-old playing for a bad Wisconsin team - being asked to do a lot more than he was capable of given his age/maturity, playing against players 5-6 years older. He's likely a higher-round guy had he played in the USHL this year.

Over The Boards called Becker someone who has intrigued scouts for years. 6-3, big body at 18. 7th round is when you take fliers on high-upside/longshot guys.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
I'm happy that the Bruins got six skaters in the first three rounds.

It feels like the Bruins now have two dozen "b" level prospects though. No blue-chippers.

Hopefully the scouts' judgment turns out to be correct. They did bring us Pastrnak last year. Hard to criticize, if the scouts believe in the players, then it is correct to take them. Otherwise what do you pay the scouts for?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So I see the Bruins took their mandatory US College-route kids in the 6th and 7th rounds who won't be turning pro for about 4-5 years and then likely have 2-3 years in the AHL if by the slim chance they even make it at all.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I like it as a whole. The Bruins certainly added much needed depth at every position (having that many picks in the first 2 rounds will do that). Let's hope some of that quantity turns into quality.

Yes, they left a few hyped players on the board, but pre-draft rankings don't mean much when you're talking about 18-year-old hockey players.

If you were told last week that the Bruins drafted Zboril, DeDrusk and Carlo, fans would be stoked. Add Senyshyn and Lauzon, who have the Dom and Kirk seals of approval, and I think the Bruins made some intriguing choices.

Unless you told them the B's had to trade Lucic & Hamilton to get them.

YNWABoston

Aug 3, 2005
Boston, MA
EJ Hradek wraps up the draft coverage by saying "Talking to scouts last night about what the Bruins did with their three picks... ekk they aren't so sure."

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm happy that the Bruins got six skaters in the first three rounds.

It feels like the Bruins now have two dozen "b" level prospects though. No blue-chippers.

Hopefully the scouts' judgment turns out to be correct. They did bring us Pastrnak last year. Hard to criticize if the scouts believe in the players, then it is correct to take them. Otherwise what do you pay the scouts for?

Outside of McIntyre, and Pasta whose already made it, I don't see a single blue-chipper in this organization. B's are loaded with future 3rd line forwards and 4/5/6 D-men.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
EJ Hradek wraps up the draft coverage by saying "Talking to scouts last night about what the Bruins did with their three picks... ekk they aren't so sure."

But Bruin scouts are smarter than all the other scouts in the hockey world. :sarcasm:

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I don't mind rounds 2-7, although taking a goalie in the 3rd...but whatever, 3rds are chancy to makethe NHL anyway.

But 14&15...those picks have to turn into good players, have to.

Bruzin

Jan 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
Problem is we have two more gaping holes

The Bruins are definitely a worse team next year. Unless they get some scoring via trades or free agency, they're going to have one of the lowest producing offences in the league.

I wouldn't have blown it up like they did, but it made for an entertaining weekend.

I see a glimmer of hope with the new draft picks, but then again, I see that ever year.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Boston's 2nd round choices did impress me, and I like them going forward.

I like the Hughes pick a lot. Rated as a 1st-rounder coming into this year, but started the year as a 17-year-old playing for a bad Wisconsin team - being asked to do a lot more than he was capable of given his age/maturity, playing against players 5-6 years older. He's likely a higher-round guy had he played in the USHL this year.

Hughes intrigues me as well. Not too often you see 18 year old freshman not coming from the USNDP getting drafted, especially Canadians. And with going so low, can take his time developing while not feeling pressured to leave school early.

Last edited:

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
I don't mind rounds 2-7, although taking a goalie in the 3rd...but whatever, 3rds are chancy to makethe NHL anyway.

But 14&15...those picks have to turn into good players, have to.

"Matthew Barzal is an offensive forward with very good skating abilities. Has tremendous puck-handling and is poised with the puck, while looking for the perfect pass-option using his strong vision. Owns an excellent wrist shot with a remarkable release. Barzal reads the plays well, looking for interceptions and is not afraid to block shots, playing a reliable two-way game. A complete player with strong hockey sense."

"Kyle Connor, a dynamic two-way center with speed and creativity to burn. Consistently displays elite-level skating ability, and an astonishing top speed. Sees the ice very well and is constantly looking to either score or make a player; the confidence he has in his abilities lets him do things with the puck that other players wouldn't even try. Skillful puckhandling skills, paired with a deceptively accurate shot, make him a lethal scoring threat. His will to compete and, ultimately, win fuels his defensive game; he tracks the puck well and creates a lot of turnovers. All-in-all, a highly skilled, proactive center that can dominate in all three zones. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)"

We could've had both these guys. Instead we reached on guys we could've had as second rounders.

YNWABoston

Aug 3, 2005
Boston, MA
"Matthew Barzal is an offensive forward with very good skating abilities. Has tremendous puck-handling and is poised with the puck, while looking for the perfect pass-option using his strong vision. Owns an excellent wrist shot with a remarkable release. Barzal reads the plays well, looking for interceptions and is not afraid to block shots, playing a reliable two-way game. A complete player with strong hockey sense."

"Kyle Connor, a dynamic two-way center with speed and creativity to burn. Consistently displays elite-level skating ability, and an astonishing top speed. Sees the ice very well and is constantly looking to either score or make a player; the confidence he has in his abilities lets him do things with the puck that other players wouldn't even try. Skillful puckhandling skills, paired with a deceptively accurate shot, make him a lethal scoring threat. His will to compete and, ultimately, win fuels his defensive game; he tracks the puck well and creates a lot of turnovers. All-in-all, a highly skilled, proactive center that can dominate in all three zones. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)"

We could've had both these guys. Instead we reached on guys we could've had as second rounders.

To be fair we don't know if we could have gotten them in round 2. I highly doubt DeBrusk would be. And a lot of teams passed on Barzal. But no doubt we reached and now they better make it or Sweeney will be gone quick.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

you don`t know (unless your a secret insider) if they could have had either in the 2nd round

It`s in inexact science for many reasons

Honestly, heard fans whine, gripe, complain about the same old garbage from the B`s since their last cup final appearance, team needed cap space and a shakeup, players getting "fat" off a cup win , well, a shakeup doesn`t come in the form of subtracting a Chris Kelly or Seids

Well, if this doesn`t ignite fire under those playing nothing will and no way is this summer`s wheeling and dealing done

I`m pretty happy with the picks, and until this team actually starts to play meaningful hockey, I`m just going to reserve my assessment about what this team will be for later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce