Injury Report: Enstrom out 8 weeks, Poolman recalled!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I still think we should have kept the pick but that is more based on our future. I seriously doubt Vegas would have taken Toby anyways. They would have had waaaaaayyy to many D. They likely would have taken Dano but they bluffed Chevy and he fell for it. It's in the past now.

Yes it is in the past now. Vesalainen looks promising. I don't know that it is probable that McPhee would have taken Dano - but I'd bet he would have taken Dano + Petan. IMO, that is the most likely alternative, FWIW. For all I know that was even discussed and Chevy balked at giving both. Or not. Will never be known.

Much as it may gall some, it is past time we let that one go. If Chevy had 'kept the roster together' and not added a LD and a goalie it would have been much worse - but he made those adds. They were what was really needed. Imagine a left side of Morrissey, Chiarot, Melchiori just for a minute.

VGK still has too many D and not enough F's. Petan being waiver exempt is still a big benefit for Vegas. I think Dano + Petan for Jon Merrill makes sense for both sides. VGK have not used Merrill much. He has puny offense but is very good defensively. We leave Chiarot in the PB until Toby returns and then move him however we can.

Poolman can continue to be first callup on the right side. He will get his chance. Meanwhile, moving Dano opens a roster spot for Roslovic. Merrill provides ongoing LHD depth when we are healthy. Replaces Toby next year and until Niku is ready. Looks like a perfect fit for us. All we need to do is persuade GMGM.

Reactions: Pongs21

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I wanna win now... By the time we find out which of those draftees will make an impact this core will be 3-4 years older. I think it was the right move to keep as much depth as possible, all things considered.

Liljegren will be in the NHL by next year I think, Suzuki was by far the highest scoring player in last years draft and is on pace to do some hefty damage again. Didn't look to out of place in Vegas TC either. He'll be in NHL next year. Valimaki and Foote both scoring at PPG pace in D+1. Pretty much all of these kids should be in the NHL far sooner then 4 years. I wouldn't surprised if Enstrom isn't even in the NHL next year.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yes it is in the past now. Vesalainen looks promising. I don't know that it is probable that McPhee would have taken Dano - but I'd bet he would have taken Dano + Petan. IMO, that is the most likely alternative, FWIW. For all I know that was even discussed and Chevy balked at giving both. Or not. Will never be known.

Much as it may gall some, it is past time we let that one go. If Chevy had 'kept the roster together' and not added a LD and a goalie it would have been much worse - but he made those adds. They were what was really needed. Imagine a left side of Morrissey, Chiarot, Melchiori just for a minute.

VGK still has too many D and not enough F's. Petan being waiver exempt is still a big benefit for Vegas. I think Dano + Petan for Jon Merrill makes sense for both sides. VGK have not used Merrill much. He has puny offense but is very good defensively. We leave Chiarot in the PB until Toby returns and then move him however we can.

Poolman can continue to be first callup on the right side. He will get his chance. Meanwhile, moving Dano opens a roster spot for Roslovic. Merrill provides ongoing LHD depth when we are healthy. Replaces Toby next year and until Niku is ready. Looks like a perfect fit for us. All we need to do is persuade GMGM.

Not a bad proposition. I don't mind Merrill.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Liljegren will be in the NHL by next year I think, Suzuki was by far the highest scoring player in last years draft and is on pace to do some hefty damage again. Didn't look to out of place in Vegas TC either. He'll be in NHL next year. Valimaki and Foote both scoring at PPG pace in D+1. Pretty much all of these kids should be in the NHL far sooner then 4 years. I wouldn't surprised if Enstrom isn't even in the NHL next year.
I highly doubt that any of those players are making an impact in the NHL by next season. Morrissey took several years, and he was a much better junior D than Valimaki or Foote in D+1. Even a real star like Ehlers didn't make a mark until his D+3 season. I'm still not convinced that Vesalainen won't be as good as some of those prospects. He's second on his Liiga team in points/game. I'm looking forward to seeing how he fares in the WJHC-20.

In any case, the move was mostly about this season. It was time to focus on now.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Sucks to hear about Toby, the Jets will miss his play. If we run the following, I think it could be decent:

Morrissey - Trouba
Kulikov - Buff
Poolman - Myers

Still looks like a decent D-corps to me. Having actual depth is nice, and Kulikov has performed well for us.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Vesalainen is pretty good.

Enstrom didn't need to waive, I'm glad Chevy did the right thing to keep the team together and do a solid for Enstrom. Players notice that.

Besides, Enstrom will be back long before the end of the season and will be an important piece if we hit the playoffs. Depth is key if you want to be a true contender. Imagine the Jets not having Enstrom and losing a LD. We'd be looking at a long stretch of Chiarot.
Lets also not lose sight of the fact that the ED was before the UFA start, even before you could start talking to pending UFA's. So Kulikov was not on the roster and Chevy would have no idea if he would be interested in coming to Winnipeg. It was also before Stu was bought out, which might not have happened if we lost Toby in the ED. Lots of speculation, but if LV selected Toby at that moment our LHD depth would have been:

Morrissey
Stu
Chiarot
Melchiori

That's a pretty frightening thought.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
Instead of the immediate "screw it!" reaction I would get if Enstrom suffered a injury of that level, I have to say I feel not just comfortable with situation but almost mildly optimistic. I think Poolman will fill in just fine and only add to an already punishing team. (I thought NJ and especially Heischer struggled against the checking and over all weight of our team). Poolman also already demonstrated he can competently play both LD and RD.
:ghost2:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I highly doubt that any of those players are making an impact in the NHL by next season. Morrissey took several years, and he was a much better junior D than Valimaki or Foote in D+1. Even a real star like Ehlers didn't make a mark until his D+3 season. I'm still not convinced that Vesalainen won't be as good as some of those prospects. He's second on his Liiga team in points/game. I'm looking forward to seeing how he fares in the WJHC-20.

In any case, the move was mostly about this season. It was time to focus on now.

Well we can really only wait and see but I will definitely remind you when it happens. ;)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sucks to hear about Toby, the Jets will miss his play. If we run the following, I think it could be decent:

Morrissey - Trouba
Kulikov - Buff
Poolman - Myers

Still looks like a decent D-corps to me. Having actual depth is nice, and Kulikov has performed well for us.

That assumes Poolman plays well on the left. If so, then I agree but I don't think that is a given yet.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Keep this in mind if we end up with Chiarot in the lineup instead of Poolman

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Instead of the immediate "screw it!" reaction I would get if Enstrom suffered a injury of that level, I have to say I feel not just comfortable with situation but almost mildly optimistic. I think Poolman will fill in just fine and only add to an already punishing team. (I thought NJ and especially Heischer struggled against the checking and over all weight of our team). Poolman also already demonstrated he can competently play both LD and RD.
:ghost2:

I don't think the bolded is correct. They tried him on the left 1 game and he wasn't horrible. Faint praise at best. Also only 1 game. He may adjust and be fine. In fact he may be better than Toby. He also may be worse than Chiarot.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah those young guys coming in on ELC's could definitely help in that regard.
I look forward to having Roslovic, Vesalainen, Petan, Lemieux, Foley, Niku, Poolman, Samberg, etc. filling those roles.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I look forward to having Roslovic, Vesalainen, Petan, Lemieux, Foley, Niku, Poolman, Samberg, etc. filling those roles.

Roslovic, Poolman and Lemieux for sure. Samberg and Foley are likely a ways away yet and I don't think Petan has shown enough to really be any sort of cheap replacement long term. Vesalainen is a wildcard. Niku is hard to project right now.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
I thought Enstrom has not been too bad. He has been steady as the games go on. No longer the Toby of 5 years ago though. Hoping for a nice recovery and hopefully Poolman looks as good as I think he could be. I wouldn't be upset to see Chairot get a chance in a couple games over the course of this injury

Critical Mass

Feb 6, 2011
If I have to be honest, I was worried about this west coast swing with Toby being vulnerable to the punishing physicality of those teams. We just got bigger and tougher and improved our offensive threat from whomever takes over that left D position.
Agreed. With all due respect to Enstrom, I think the playoff series against the Ducks revealed him to be too small and ineffective against a big and fast team playing at playoff speed. He was more of a liability than an asset in that environment.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'll take a single dose of Chariot for a short time over the triple dose of Postma, Stuart and Chariot we had for extended periods the past couple seasons.

Sadly Enstrom was playing fairly well when this injury occurred but was seeing the least amount of minutes of our six D!

Sometimes injuries turn out to be a big "plus"- like when Perrault went down, and Connor was called up. He should never have been sent down, and proving it now.

I personally like Chiarot, and Poolman, and I don't think the Jets will miss a beat, and as a matter of fact, both these guys have better point shots than Toby, and both are bigger, and both are more physical, and both "don't make $ 5 mil per year.

This could end up being a "positive" for the Jets to really look at their depth, and backup talent, as I doubt they'd resign Enstrom for close to what he's making.

Key- winners turn "adversity" into positives.":)

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Agreed. With all due respect to Enstrom, I think the playoff series against the Ducks revealed him to be too small and ineffective against a big and fast team playing at playoff speed. He was more of a liability than an asset in that environment.

Especially when looking at it through biased eyes.

He was anything but imo, his play in more important areas in that series far outweighed his perceived size issue.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Keep this in mind if we end up with Chiarot in the lineup instead of Poolman

I think we're likely to end up with Chiarot more than anyone cares to realize.

I'm excited for Poolman to get an opportunity, Enstrom's absence changes the complexion of the team however and will effect what they do.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Well, we have our longterm enström replacement in Moose already for the next season, so hopefully Chariot and Pool can keep us floting this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad