Injury Report: Enstrom out 8 weeks, Poolman recalled!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Toby was literally our best defensemen in the playoffs.... This stuff kills me.

I don't agree with the criticism of Toby in the playoffs but I certainly don't agree with this either. He was bad because he was playing with 1 arm. He should not have been playing at all. Give him credit for playing through an injury but he was not able to play well enough.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Ben Chiarot has done nothing to make me miss Toby. Big fan of the chin surgery by Ben on Perry this afternoon. We are bigger, faster and tougher with Ben in.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
It's very premature. Team is pretty healthy other than Toby. That will likely change.

Do we really need Toby and his $ 5.5 mil contract when we're winning without him ?? and Chiarot looks fine to me-bigger, more physical, and a decent shot from the point.

What do you guys think ???

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
Do we really need Toby and his $ 5.5 mil contract when we're winning without him ?? and Chiarot looks fine to me-bigger, more physical, and a decent shot from the point.

What do you guys think ???
I think skill wise Enstrom skates circles around Chiarot on a bad day, on a good day Enstrom is doing figure eights around him.
Props to Chiarot though for making Perry look pretty.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Yes, yes we do. If you really think Chiarot is better than Toby then you're not doing it right. Chiarot was ok today, contrast that to multiple tire fires. Toby isn't what he was but that's how contracts work, you can say it for virtually every player as they age out of the league. But Toby or Chiarot for the remainder of the year? No question and the answer is Toby.

I don't necessarily think Chiarot is better than Toby, but what I do think, is I don't think we'll miss a beat without Toby in the lineup. Yes Toby is a better skater etc, but at that position today, size and toughness matter as well.

Basically our scoring is done from the front end, and some help from guys like Myers and Buff from the back end. If we have stay at home defenseman, that are decent, I don't think it will affect the club that much.

The question is--is he $ 4.5 million dollars better ?? --I'd say no. If the Jet's do resign Toby next year I'd like to see the amount at around $ 2.5 to $ 3 mil tops.

Right now I think Enstrom is "overpaid" for what he contributes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
All that matters today is speed. Size and toughness is about the most overrated attribute in today’s game. Chiarot was getting circles skates around him the other night.

And Enstroms contract is kinda irrelevant at this point. It doesn’t hurt is one bit with how our team is structured and it never will.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Wow. Talk about underappreciating a player. The two biggest reasons for the Jets success this season is solid goaltending and depth at D. Toby is an integral part of that D and is far more valuable than “league minimum”.

Wow. Talk about overappreciating a player. Toby is NOT an integral part of that D and most likely won't get another NHL contract.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Wow. Talk about overappreciating a player. Toby is NOT an integral part of that D and most likely won't get another NHL contract.

That is quite the ignorant thing to say as there are far worse defenseman currently with NHL contracts. The only way he wont get another NHL contract is if he decides to hang up the skates and retire. I could easily see him being picked up for depth on a win now team. He shouldn't get anywhere near what he is being paid now but he is a good enough player to be picked up in FA if he continues to play.

I personally don't see us resigning him based on money we will need for future salaries of younger players.

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I'm not sure he wants another NHL contract, but he would get a good one.
I agree that if he decides to continue his NHL career, he will probably have no problem getting a new contract somewhere else. Saying that he won’t just seems a bit ignorant to me.

As the Jets are pushing for the play-offs, we really need that depth on D in case we get struck with injuries on our run.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I think in 2 years Tucker Poolman will be a 2nd pairing defenseman for the Jets AND one of our offensive leaders back there as well.
I really like how he loves to shoot, but even more, how he manages to get his shot on goal most of the time.
As opposed to Buff, he doesn’t always try to put it through the net. He’s really gaining some offensive confidence and I think he’s going to surprise many.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I think in 2 years Tucker Poolman will be a 2nd pairing defenseman for the Jets AND one of our offensive leaders back there as well.
I really like how he loves to shoot, but even more, how he manages to get his shot on goal most of the time.
As opposed to Buff, he doesn’t always try to put it through the net. He’s really gaining some offensive confidence and I think he’s going to surprise many.
Fun fact: A higher percentage of Buff's shots attempts have been on net than Poolman's this year.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Fun fact: A higher percentage of Buff's shots attempts have been on net than Poolman's this year.

Well, that can mean only one thing then...
A large percentage of Buff’s shots that are deflecting off of players’ helmets are hitting the net. :)

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

True.

Byfuglien 89 shots vs. 116 attempts = 76.72%
Poolman 14 shots vs 21 attempts = 66.66%

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 1.31.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 1.31.11 PM.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 9

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Stupid facts ruining false narratives again.

I mean, sample size, quality of teammates. Who do you think gets found when they're open more, the guy playing with Chiarot or the guy playing with Enstrom? What about the fact that Buff plays on the PP, so it's a lot easier to get open and get a clear shot? How about the fact that Buff is often playing below the offensive goal line and a lot of his shots are coming within 10 feet of the net, versus Poolman who's playing a defense first game right now?

I'm not saying Poolman is better by any stretch of the imagination, just that saying Buff hits the net more often than Poolman and leaving it at that is a little misleading.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I mean, sample size, quality of teammates. Who do you think gets found when they're open more, the guy playing with Chiarot or the guy playing with Enstrom? What about the fact that Buff plays on the PP, so it's a lot easier to get open and get a clear shot? How about the fact that Buff is often playing below the offensive goal line and a lot of his shots are coming within 10 feet of the net, versus Poolman who's playing a defense first game right now?

I'm not saying Poolman is better by any stretch of the imagination, just that saying Buff hits the net more often than Poolman and leaving it at that is a little misleading.
You're right, there is a lot more to it that makes Buff a much better player than Poolman.

"A lot" of Buff's shots come within 10 feet? "Often" playing below the goal line? Classic observer bias.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Ok, getting back to the point of this thread...Poolman. (yes I understand that I opened up the Buff door with my comment, and I wish I hadn’t).
Truck, I’ve always enjoyed hearing your views on our young(ish) players. What are your thoughts on Poolman’s play and his upside?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad