Rumor: Enroth to the leafs?

Mad Brills*

Google translation via http://theleafsnation.com/2016/7/24/report-toronto-maple-leafs-closing-in-on-signing-jhonas-enroth

After having spent last season with the Los Angeles Kings, his contract has expired and no new deal has been found, until now. [Svensson's Blog, Mr. Madhawk] has been told that Enroth will sign with Toronto. Enroth and his agents have been in advanced discussions with the NHL team and the deal is all but signed.

Toronto signed Frederik Andersen earlier this summer, and as such, it is him that Enroth will compete with for playing time. The signing is expected to happen in the near future.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Sweet. Would've been pissed if they gave up assets for a backup.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Definitely a better option than trading for a guy, especially after dumping Bernier for virtually nothing and so far not even using his capspace I dont believe.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
If this happens, it will probably be a two-year contract because of the expansion draft. Every team has to expose one goaltender signed to a contract for the 17-18 season, and the only goalie that currently fulfills that requirement for the Leafs is Andersen (and Kaskisuo, who is exempt and therefore likely can't be exposed), who they don't want to expose. Enroth probably doesn't mind having a guaranteed NHL salary for two years as well.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If this happens, it will probably be a two-year contract because of the expansion draft. Every team has to expose one goaltender signed to a contract for the 17-18 season, and the only goalie that currently fulfills that requirement for the Leafs is Andersen, who they don't want to expose. Enroth probably doesn't mind having a guaranteed NHL salary for two years as well.

If we qualify Sparks, I'm pretty sure he counts too.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I said it before a team should try and sign him for 2 years on the cheap like Philly did with Neuvirth. I think it would really pay off...even if it's the Leafs. Injuries can happen and having someone who can step in is important.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I like this option a lot more than giving up a 2nd or 3rd+ for a guy like kuemper, grubauer etc.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I was wondering, an hour ago, why he was the top trending search at hockeydb.com. I assumed that he had signed or was close to doing so, but came here to find out with whom and saw no mention of his name at all. It's kind of funny to have gotten the news from a database site which stores stats going back over a century before seeing it on a board devoted to trades and signings.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Rules state "under contract". So I don't think he'd count.

Only for skaters, a qualified RFA goalie counts for that rule too.

One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club’s protected list.

In It 2 Winnik

TankArmy4Puljujarvi
Dec 28, 2013
Toronto
Nice! I wanted him last year in free agency. I feel like he is going to push Andersen for the starting job, and ultimately feel he will outplay him, albeit with what their paying Andersen, he will not get the chance to be the starter. A situation similar to Greiss and Halak maybe. I have been high on Enroth since he played for Buffalo, he has starter potential even at his age.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Enorth isn't very good, but Sparks is terribad.

He'd probably be the worst goaltender in the NHL for my money, if he played like he did last year.

Especially with Lindback looking like he isn't gonna be in the league anymore and Ray Emery long gone.

buttman*

If this happens, it will probably be a two-year contract because of the expansion draft. Every team has to expose one goaltender signed to a contract for the 17-18 season, and the only goalie that currently fulfills that requirement for the Leafs is Andersen (and Kaskisuo, who is exempt and therefore likely can't be exposed), who they don't want to expose. Enroth probably doesn't mind having a guaranteed NHL salary for two years as well.

Are you sure every team has to expose a goalie? Don't think that's true. D and F, yes. Teams can only protect one goalie -- everything else they have is exposed.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I never really liked Enroth, but for some reason his name has been circulating around for a while and other Leafs fans have latched onto it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad