Injury Report: Ennis Broken ankle

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I dunno about that, its very possible Moore sticks

Maybe. I think if he sticks he's replacing Brown though.

I am pretty certain Grundstrom is on this team down the stretch and into the playoffs. Grundy is absolutely killing it in the AHL. His shot has become a weapon for him. It was reported earlier in the season that TOR views him as a top six forward in the near future. I believe Babcock spoke highly about him in camp as well.

Frankly, I'd be okay with Grundstrom, Marchment and Moore replacing Marleau, Brown and Ennis NEXT season. Ennis is a UFA we can let walk, and we can likely deal Brown for some good value (most posters here are far to hard on him) but Marleau, unless he wants to retire, or wants to go back to SJS, isn't going anywhere.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The Leivo trade was very stupid. We could have used him on our team this year... and especially now that we have 2 forwards out. He's a heck of a lot better than Moore and Marchment. He's also probably better than Par Lindholm, Ennis, Brown, and Hyman.

I think a lot of people here would have said he was better than Kappy and Johnsson last season also

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
We'd be short if he didn't.

(Unless Babs does 11 F and 7 D... which might not be a terrible idea anyway)

Guess he could go 11 F, 7 D tonight given the relatively short notice. Given Hyman and Ennis aren't day-to-day though, it should make for a decent run of games for Moore, and even still for Gauthier. (Or maybe not if it's on emergency basis)

Last edited:

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Maybe. I think if he sticks he's replacing Brown though.

I am pretty certain Grundstrom is on this team down the stretch and into the playoffs. Grundy is absolutely killing it in the AHL. His shot has become a weapon for him. It was reported earlier in the season that TOR views him as a top six forward in the near future. I believe Babcock spoke highly about him in camp as well.

Frankly, I'd be okay with Grundstrom, Marchment and Moore replacing Marleau, Brown and Ennis NEXT season. Ennis is a UFA we can let walk, and we can likely deal Brown for some good value (most posters here are far to hard on him) but Marleau, unless he wants to retire, or wants to go back to SJS, isn't going anywhere.

I like Grundstrom too, he is going to be a good one, Moore is another fast kid with skill and PP/PK's on the Marlies. I think this why Levio was moved, he had Moore, Grundstrom right behind him knocking on the door as LW.

I can see Moore stealing the Kadri LW spot this season and pushing Brown to the 4th line and even pushing Marleau off the Matthews line.

I think its very possible Brown gets traded, I also can see the Leafs giving Marleau back to the Sharks next season for nothing, I'm assuming he will retire at seasons end?

Ennis season should be over, I'm thinking?

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think a lot of people here would have said he was better than Kappy and Johnsson last season also
I donno. I'm a pretty big Leivo fan, but I've always ranked him just below those two.

It was hard to get an accurate reading of him the last two years because he sat on the bench so much. And even when he did get a chance to play, it was mostly on the 4th line.

But this year, I think we all thought he looked even better than he has looked in the past. I heard that he started eating clean and I think that made him a lot faster (to the point where his speed was no longer a drawback... since he improved his skating from bad to average). He looked great on the 4th line this year with Goat and Ennis.

I understand that maybe there were promises made to not let him sit on the bench... but you would have thought they could have reached a compromise. Maybe rotate with Ennis and Lindholm until you get some injuries or something. I get that Marleau has some iron man stuff going on... but maybe he could use a rest now and then too.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I donno. I'm a pretty big Leivo fan, but I've always ranked him just below those two.

It was hard to get an accurate reading of him the last two years because he sat on the bench so much. And even when he did get a chance to play, it was mostly on the 4th line.

But this year, I think we all thought he looked even better than he has looked in the past. I heard that he started eating clean and I think that made him a lot faster (to the point where his speed was no longer a drawback... since he improved his skating from bad to average). He looked great on the 4th line this year with Goat and Ennis.

I understand that maybe there were promises made to not let him sit on the bench... but you would have thought they could have reached a compromise. Maybe rotate with Ennis and Lindholm until you get some injuries or something. I get that Marleau has some iron man stuff going on... but maybe he could use a rest now and then too.

Levio couldn't lock down a spot, Kappy, Johnsson came in and stole 2 spots right in front of levio face. The guys below put the final nail in his coffin.

Left-wing prospects.
  • Moore
  • Grundstrum
  • Marchment
  • Engvall
  • Timashov
  • Brooks < shoots left
  • Korshkov
I liked Levio, Innisfil boy, I have been there many times.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
I was curious how many times josh leivo would come up in this thread. Sure enough, quite a few times.
I have never understood the obsession. He is not a good hockey player. Doesn't fit in the top 6 (if he is in your top 6 you have a terrible team... cough, cough). He is also not an effective bottom 6 player.
I'm sure he will put up some points for the Canucks as they battle for dead last in the nhl. Kind of like how things played out for leipsic, who so many were sad to see go. I think leivo will follow a similar career path.
Trevor Moore and Freddy the goat are much better options.
It is a shame we lost Ennis though

Reactions: mmalady

TML11

Feb 11, 2017
Sorry maybe it was said, but when/how did Ennis break his ankle? I missed the play.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
I broke my ankle as well 10 years ago that required surgery that has a screw still fused in with the bone. My ankle mobility has never been the same and because of that my muscular composition on my left leg has altered particular around my calf and I've developed arthritis in my left hip. Not exciting! Hopefully he has a speedy recovery! I guess I'm in the minority that had a broken ankle that didnt heal properly. Owell life goes on!

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Could have really used Leivo right now... but nope... we traded him for a bag of pucks.

That Moore guy is kinda good eh?

Dubas and Babcock made Leivo a promise that if he was not used in atop 6 role he would be traded to a team that could use him in a scoring role.

Honor is a big thing in my books, it sends good karma out into the world.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
That Moore guy is kinda good eh?

Dubas and Babcock made Leivo a promise that if he was not used in atop 6 role he would be traded to a team that could use him in a scoring role.

Honor is a big thing in my books, it sends good karma out into the world.

I'd like to see him on the power play, honestly, in place of Ennis. As he's scored 17 goals in 25 games this year, I think it would be worth it to see if his shot will work on NHL goalies.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
It's really too bad. Ennis has been performing like a 1st line W -- 1.76 P1/60. All while being totally buried in defensive zone starts (36 ZSR), and weak teammates.

Up until getting injured, Ennis was very much looking like he was back to the peak of his game. I hope he's able to regain this form. I suspected that a good platform year this year would have him back in Buffalo next year on a longer term deal... he's a proven commodity, and up until this point this year, he has proven that he's shaken off the injuries and back to form.

The Leafs started this year with an absolute embarrassment of riches in forwards. With Leivo, Hyman, and Ennis gone, we're really more of a two line team, though the emergence of Kappy certainly challenges that. He has the same number of goals as Kessel so far!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad