News Article: Enigmatic Yakupov and The Bounce Back

EpSoNiight

Nov 14, 2013
Another thing to add: Yak started using social media again, something he used a lot during his rookie season and last year stopped. Probably was for the better say year but he always seemed to love interacting over twitter and Instagram. I really hope yak and feel confident yak will bounce back. This kid is just so likeable I don't understand how some can treat him so poorly

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Another thing to add: Yak started using social media again, something he used a lot during his rookie season and last year stopped. Probably was for the better say year but he always seemed to love interacting over twitter and Instagram. I really hope yak and feel confident yak will bounce back. This kid is just so likeable I don't understand how some can treat him so poorly

I don't get it either. He's awesome with his fans. If he was Canadian, fat a55es like Terry Jones would probably carry him around on their shoulders.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Has Yakupov been nominated for the ALS ice bucket challenge? This seems totally up Yak's league. Is he not close with his teammates?

Not overreacting here, just wondering.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Has Yakupov been nominated for the ALS ice bucket challenge? This seems totally up Yak's league. Is he not close with his teammates?

Not overreacting here, just wondering.

No he hasnt. I know him and LD are pretty close. Ive talked to a couple Oiler prospects who hang out with him and they all like him.

Obviously Hall and Eberle are closer, but they played World juniors together. But I think Yak is buds with them

I also really hope Yak doesnt lose that spark. Cherry is doing his best to zap the fun from NHL players, but ill take Yaks, Ovies and Subbans attitude and energy over a boring NHLer anyday of the week

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't get it either. He's awesome with his fans. If he was Canadian, fat a55es like Terry Jones would probably carry him around on their shoulders.

Just a short vignette. on TJ and Yakupov. The first *interaction* I noted between the two was at Milennium place in the prospects training camp a couple years back. YaK had just finished scoring multiple goals in scrimmage, interacting with fans, being amazing on the ice, and was head and shoulders better than anybody around him. Every eye was transfixed on Yak and you could pick him out on the ice the moment he hit it. Spontaneous cheers, clapping and people even getting up out of their seats was noticed. TJ sitting near us looked to be oblivious.

After the practice and scrimmage many fans and scribes waited for the Oilers to leave the facility to talk with them, get autographs signed and such. Microphones/interviews featuring Yak and others took place. After 20mins of this we left to see TJ sitting outside alone on a parkbench. Struck me immediately as an odd sight when his colleagues were all inside.

Not saying it means anything but he was one of the few on the day that were indifferent to what Yak was bringing. Every kid in the place was ecstatic, fans were smiling, Yak was smiling, TJ was seemingly indifferent.

My own take is that TJ will always defer to the glory years oilers and that none of these current players, including Yak, really matter to him all that much. I always think he's just playing out the career string thinking of better days. This used to be a passion for him, now its just a job.

Phillybean

Aug 2, 2008
Kelowna
No he hasnt. I know him and LD are pretty close. Ive talked to a couple Oiler prospects who hang out with him and they all like him.

Obviously Hall and Eberle are closer, but they played World juniors together. But I think Yak is buds with them

I also really hope Yak doesnt lose that spark. Cherry is doing his best to zap the fun from NHL players, but ill take Yaks, Ovies and Subbans attitude and energy over a boring NHLer anyday of the week

A buddy of mine is a former WHL scout and his kids played against RNH and with Schultz. Take it for what it is, but I hear the opposite is true, that the Hall, Eberle, RNH and Schultz are not "buds" with Yak. Based on how they seemed to play on ice or look on the bench, I think there is some validity to it.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I could see that there is some divide between some players in the dressing room. Every team has various cliques of players... some obviously are best buds and get along with each other well on and off the ice and do a lot together.

There are some (usually vets) that get along with just about everyone but aren't superchummy with anyone in particular and maybe aren't as much into what the younger ones are into.... here's where the generation gap somewhat comes into play... video games, music, other hobbies can somewhat divide different types of personalities (and ages) so that socially they don't have as much in common.

Then there's the "loner types" who are somewhat indifferent to the social aspects... they are there to do the job, collect a paycheck and off the ice they really don't have much to do with their teammates.. their focus is elsewhere and/or on their families.

So in short... sometimes it's not a matter of players disliking/hating each other... it's simply that their personalities/ages/interests and lifestyle choices tend to segregate them naturally into various groups.

There are probably some that do dislike or borderline hate each other (on any team... not just the Oilers)... but as long as that doesn't affect on-ice performance... so be it... not everyone in life will get along with each other.

Just like here in the forums we all see things differently and are coming from various age groups and various backgrounds... same story with players on a hockey team.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
A buddy of mine is a former WHL scout and his kids played against RNH and with Schultz. Take it for what it is, but I hear the opposite is true, that the Hall, Eberle, RNH and Schultz are not "buds" with Yak. Based on how they seemed to play on ice or look on the bench, I think there is some validity to it.

And? It's work, there is no reason to expect or require everyone to be friends. Just because they don't hang out together doesn't mean thy can't be proffessionals and play well. It almost feels like fans of the oilers are treating the core like their kids and want them to all be friends and play nice. They are grown men and elite level talents. If they couldn't separate their off ice and on ice lives they wouldn't be where they are now

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They don't need to be friends off the ice.

I like everyone on my rec hockey team just fine, but that doesn't mean that we all hang out together after the game. I'm closer to some teammates than others, some I will go out and catch a movie or meal with, others I won't invite but that doesn't mean I don't like them, lol.

Gretzky and Kurri never hung out after the games.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
They don't need to be friends off the ice.

I like everyone on my rec hockey team just fine, but that doesn't mean that we all hang out together after the game. I'm closer to some teammates than others, some I will go out and catch a movie or meal with, others I won't invite but that doesn't mean I don't like them, lol.

Gretzky and Kurri never hung out after the games.

It does help to be friends with your linemates though. That's why I like that Yak and Draisatl seem to be getting along well. The better you know a person, the better you play with them. Some of the linemates that I performed best with growing up were also my best friends, generally because we knew how each other thought, and could predict what the other was going to do. When playing with guys I didn't know well or didn't get along with (Which, unfortunately happened a lot for me since I moved a ton as a kid) my passes may have been off, or defensive coverage might have broken down easier. Not to mention I was a lot less likely to take a punch for someone I thought was a d-bag.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
It does help to be friends with your linemates though. That's why I like that Yak and Draisatl seem to be getting along well. The better you know a person, the better you play with them. Some of the linemates that I performed best with growing up were also my best friends, generally because we knew how each other thought, and could predict what the other was going to do. When playing with guys I didn't know well or didn't get along with (Which, unfortunately happened a lot for me since I moved a ton as a kid) my passes may have been off, or defensive coverage might have broken down easier. Not to mention I was a lot less likely to take a punch for someone I thought was a d-bag.

Good point. I was always better friends with my linemates. Happens in pretty much every walk of life. I think typically, linemates have a certain chemistry with each other than others around them.

It also comes down to similar interests both on and off the ice.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
And? It's work, there is no reason to expect or require everyone to be friends. Just because they don't hang out together doesn't mean thy can't be proffessionals and play well. It almost feels like fans of the oilers are treating the core like their kids and want them to all be friends and play nice. They are grown men and elite level talents. If they couldn't separate their off ice and on ice lives they wouldn't be where they are now
Not everybody needs to be buddies off the ice, that's true. What we did see at times last year that was pretty disturbing was players ignoring Yakupov on the ice and at times seemingly refusing to pass to him. There were also instances where Yakupov scored and players didn't look happy about it. It was strange to see and sparked conversations in the post game threads. For whatever reason this team looked very dysfunctional on the ice for very long stretches last year. It's because of that people wonder if there's some kind of rift involving players in the room. This team has had rumors of this kind of behavior for years. We aren't in there so nobody knows for sure but as long as the team plays like that the speculation will remain.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
Not everybody needs to be buddies off the ice, that's true. What we did see at times last year that was pretty disturbing was players ignoring Yakupov on the ice and at times seemingly refusing to pass to him. There were also instances where Yakupov scored and players didn't look happy about it. It was strange to see and sparked conversations in the post game threads. For whatever reason this team looked very dysfunctional on the ice for very long stretches last year. It's because of that people wonder if there's some kind of rift involving players in the room. This team has had rumors of this kind of behavior for years. We aren't in there so nobody knows for sure but as long as the team plays like that the speculation will remain.

I'm rooting for Yak like everyone else, but it was extremely frustrating to watch him fail time and time again at trying to skate through an entire team when a simple pass was available. I'm sure he's been told many times by coaches and teammates at this level to utilize his linemates more often instead of trying to do it all on his own. If he continues to not listen, I see only one other option to teach him a lesson. Don't pass him the puck. As a competitive guy, and one that likes to be engaged in whatever sport I'm playing, if a teammate is an extreme puck/ball hog, you better believe I'm less inclined and more hesitant to pass him the puck/ball. I have no issues with tough love if there's a lesson to be learned.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I'm rooting for Yak like everyone else, but it was extremely frustrating to watch him fail time and time again at trying to skate through an entire team when a simple pass was available. I'm sure he's been told many times by coaches and teammates at this level to utilize his linemates more often instead of trying to do it all on his own. If he continues to not listen, I see only one other option to teach him a lesson. Don't pass him the puck. As a competitive guy, and one that likes to be engaged in whatever sport I'm playing, if a teammate is an extreme puck/ball hog, you better believe I'm less inclined and more hesitant to pass him the puck/ball. I have no issues with tough love if there's a lesson to be learned.

He wasn't trying to do it all alone, he would constantly be left without passing options because most of the forwards on the team would leave the zone before possession of the puck was even close to being acquired. The Oiler's struggled all year with their inability and unwillingness to play a supportive team game, a game that essentially forced every player to try to carry the puck or make low percentage long range passes.

Nor was Yakupov even close to being one of the worst offenders on the team when it came to puck hogging and making too many moves.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Apparently there are 2 opposing forces at work here.

1. Hall and Ebs ignore Yaks when they have the puck.
2. Yaks is being taught a lesson by Hall and Ebs, for it is Yaks who does not pass the puck to them, not the other way around.

(Point 2 was much more difficult to iterate in a half decent manner.)

Do I have to pick a side?

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
He wasn't trying to do it all alone, he would constantly be left without passing options because most of the forwards on the team would leave the zone before possession of the puck was even close to being acquired. The Oiler's struggled all year with their inability and unwillingness to play a supportive team game, a game that essentially forced every player to try to carry the puck or make low percentage long range passes.

Nor was Yakupov even close to being one of the worst offenders on the team when it came to puck hogging and making too many moves.

I agree that the team struggled with playing a supportive team game all across the board, but Yak was for sure guilty of not using his teammates when obvious passes were indeed available. If you think they weren't passing to him simply because they don't like him, then we witnessed different events unfold.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I agree that the team struggled with playing a supportive team game all across the board, but Yak was for sure guilty of not using his teammates when obvious passes were indeed available. If you think they weren't passing to him simply because they don't like him, then we witnessed different events unfold.

In other news, when are you gonna make another vid for the upcoming season? Always enjoy your videos. :yo:

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

I don't much care about impossible to prove speculation about other players not passing to Yakupov out of possible dislike.

My issue was the idea Yakupov is somehow a puck hog deserving of being taught a lesson by his teammates. Most of whom were not only themselves guilty of being puck hogs, but were also extremely poor at supporting linemates with passing outlets and defensive assignments.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Haha, thanks man. I was actually just thinking about making one a few days ago. Probably will have one out within a week.

That's good to hear, your videos are awesome and pump me up for the new season! Any chance you will make a bruiser video in the future? Fights, Gazdic, hits, Gazdic, **** talking, fights, Gazdic and more hits! That would be great. Just a suggestion, looking forward to what you put out next!

oilz89*

Dude it was Yaks first full season in the NHL. You expect him to not have some deficiencies in his game? Hall RNH and Eberle had deficiencies and problems in there first 2 seasons. Heck all 3 still have some problems. You seriously don't wanna give a pure goal scorer like Yak more time? :help: Look at what Johansen has turned into. LOL you think not passing the puck to him is teaching him a lesson??? What is this? Peewee hockey??

oilz89*

Also, the team had no system that was being utilized. Eakins was a moron last year and had no clue what he was doing

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011

I certainly witnessed plays last year where at least Eberle refused to pass to Yakupov despite Yak being in a far better position to have the puck. It was earlier in the year and blatantly obvious.

That said, Yakupov also had more than his share of boneheaded plays with the puck.

Imo, if groups are being formed in the room that are affecting play on ice, guys should be moved. I would lean towards dishing Eberle and Schultz well before Yakupov as I think Yak has it in him to be far better than the other two. Eberle is better atm and would bring in a better return. No place here for putting yourself above the team.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Apparently there are 2 opposing forces at work here.

1. Hall and Ebs ignore Yaks when they have the puck.
2. Yaks is being taught a lesson by Hall and Ebs, for it is Yaks who does not pass the puck to them, not the other way around.

(Point 2 was much more difficult to iterate in a half decent manner.)

Do I have to pick a side?
I don't think there was necessarily two different factions. I think it was a matter of Yak finding chemistry with his teammates and proving himself to the team. Because Yak is such a dynamic, confident and proud player I do believe there has been growing pains with this. But I think he takes steps in the right direction this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad