News Article: Enigmatic Yakupov and The Bounce Back

HometownHockey

Enigmatic Yakupov and The Bounce Back

2014_07_24_L.jpg

The worries in Edmonton over Nail Yakupov emerged after a disappointing sophomore season by the “enigmatic†young Russian player and although they have died down due to the worries of the huge hole in the second line center slot. Yakupov is primed for a bounce back season after a disappointing sophomore campaign.

READ MORE...
http://www.hometownhockey.ca/hockey/EDM0100.php

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
hope so, he is a huge part of the rebuild, lets still remember many said he was the most highly touted prospect since Crosby. Of course I don't expect that, but he has to turn into a 30+ goal scorer year in and year out.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Enigmatic is a term given out by old-school NHL media types that mistake enthusiasm and love for the game by European players as being spoiled or having a poor attitude or not respecting the traditions of the game that were instilled when respect and no celebrating were a thing. It’s short sighted, and quite frankly it takes the fun out of the NHL year after year.

Maybe that's the way it is now, but the whole "enigmatic Russian" thing goes way way back. See, under the old Soviet system, Russian players were seen as taciturn, robotic even (may have had something to do with the system they grew up playing. Or maybe they just weren't so good at the whole speaking English thing). Over time, the narrative evolved to encompass guys like Alexei Kovalev who were prone to flashes of sheer brilliance, but were regarded as inconsistent, unlike good Canadian boys who brought it to the rink every night. That stuck to guys like Ovechkin (who is actually incredibly consistent) and now, it seems, a new generation of players like Yakupov.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I hate the word enigmatic so much. Just because he's Russian doesn't make him any different than the other top prospects that haven't put it all together yet

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
hope so, he is a huge part of the rebuild, lets still remember many said he was the most highly touted prospect since Crosby. Of course I don't expect that, but he has to turn into a 30+ goal scorer year in and year out.

No one once ever said he was the most highly touted prospect since Crosby. That would be JT. In fact Hall was even more highly touted than Yak.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Before the draft lottery a lot of people were expecting Yak to be better than Stamkos. Now he's a bust and they all knew it.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Before the draft lottery a lot of people were expecting Yak to be better than Stamkos. Now he's a bust and they all knew it.

Basically this. A bit of an exaggeration but basically true.

I would put the hype around Yak during his draft year at least slightly above:

A bit over McKinnon.
Similiar to RNH.
Certainly over Ekblad.

He was billed as the next Pavel Bure. Had a solid rookie campaign then hits a bad softmore slump and is now considered a complete bust... Very strange.

As first overalls his play to date has been a bust but the future is certainly very bright for Yak. Absolutely no reason he can't turn it around and be every bit as good as Stamkos. Just isn't likely and will obviously will take him longer to reach his potential than one would have hoped.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
No one once ever said he was the most highly touted prospect since Crosby. That would be JT. In fact Hall was even more highly touted than Yak.

It was on the cover of hockey news before draft, I think they were just trying to drum up some drama for the draft, but he was highly touted. I am not saying it was reasonable, just saying, there was speculation that he was a highly touted prospect.

oilz89*

Some people are such morons. How does one 1st overall pick turn from a "star" in one year to a bust the next year after not even playing 150 games? The kid had 3-5 less points then Huberdeau and noone talks about Huberdeau like he's a bust. Just because Yak is russian everyone points the finger at him and say he will never be good. I HAAAATE people like that. Even after all these years people still go crazy at russians saying they might jump the ship and go to the KHL. Well guess what? A player that wasn't Russian SOBOTKA fled to the NHL and he isn't Russian. In your face geniuses. Does Yak even strike us as the type that would leave to go to Russia after ONE YEAR?

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
It was on the cover of hockey news before draft, I think they were just trying to drum up some drama for the draft, but he was highly touted. I am not saying it was reasonable, just saying, there was speculation that he was a highly touted prospect.

Speculation he was highly touted? That makes no sense.

Good ol trade request spoiled brat better become a man this year.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013

Not many people were expecting him to be. Just cause both played in Sarnia and hockey news said a couple things to stir up media and conversation doesn't mean a lot of people thought Yak was better. Stamkos was a 60 goal scorer in the NHL before Yak was drafted so if a lot of people expected him to be better than Stamkos then those people should give their heads a shake.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Excuse me? A spoiled brat? When did he ask for a trade??!:help::shakehead

He probably did ask for a trade, he was probably really frustrated. I actually don't see it is as a bad thing, he is very competitive. It will be one of his strengths, but, when he is struggling he might come of as spoiled. Any way, I could care less, he is a oiler, the question remains is he going to live up to his potential.

oilz89*

He probably did ask for a trade, he was probably really frustrated. I actually don't see it is as a bad thing, he is very competitive. It will be one of his strengths, but, when he is struggling he might come of as spoiled. Any way, I could care less, he is a oiler, the question remains is he going to live up to his potential.

Wait... so first you said he DID ask for a trade and now your saying he probably did because he was frustrated? :help: Do you have any evidence to prove this? Yeah he is competitive which means he wants to earn his role back. His role on the team that drafted him. How does he come off as spoiled if he's struggling? :shakehead I'm sorry but i watched every single oiler game last season and he never seemed spoiled. It seemed like his confidence was shook. Any kid who's 19 or 21 would be like this, especially if the coach had lost his confidence in the player as well. Just think before you say stuff like "he asked for a trade" my god. No wonder players hate Oiler fans

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I hate the word enigmatic so much. Just because he's Russian doesn't make him any different than the other top prospects that haven't put it all together yet

Considering enigmatic pretty much means mysterious, I don't think it's such a bad term for Yaks.

I know many in the media will spin the word into something else to suit their views, but whatever, it's just a word (that seems to be used in the wrong context)

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Thats the difference between yak and other hockey players. You rarely ever hear of a developing player EVER sulking over being scratched. Everyone is competitive and want to play but they put the team ahead of their individual stupidity. Even at 14 and 15 guys are doing anything their team says and being leaders and sacrificing.

Not every player whines to his agent. Wha wha. Who raised him this way? Its disgusting.

I dont expect him to change. Selfish kids become selfish men...hardwired to only think of themselves. Other kids are born to be Toewes and leaders of championship teams.

I cant recall someone looking so selfish and primma donna like in 15 years of observing the draft. Lindros probably.

oilz89*

Thats the difference between yak and other hockey players. You rarely ever hear of a developing player EVER sulking over being scratched. Everyone is competitive and want to play but they put the team ahead of their individual stupidity. Even at 14 and 15 guys are doing anything their team says and being leaders and sacrificing.

Not every player whines to his agent. Wha wha. Who raised him this way? Its disgusting.

I dont expect him to change. Selfish kids become selfish men...hardwired to only think of themselves. Other kids are born to be Toewes and leaders of championship teams.

I cant recall someone looking so selfish and primma donna like in 15 years of observing the draft. Lindros probably.

When did Yak whine to his agent?

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Wait... so first you said he DID ask for a trade and now your saying he probably did because he was frustrated? :help: Do you have any evidence to prove this? Yeah he is competitive which means he wants to earn his role back. His role on the team that drafted him. How does he come off as spoiled if he's struggling? :shakehead I'm sorry but i watched every single oiler game last season and he never seemed spoiled. It seemed like his confidence was shook. Any kid who's 19 or 21 would be like this, especially if the coach had lost his confidence in the player as well. Just think before you say stuff like "he asked for a trade" my god. No wonder players hate Oiler fans

That wasn't me that said he asked for a trade. I bet a lot more players ask for trades than we ever know. It is just what happens when players get frustrated. I said he may have, but who cares if he did.

oilz89*

That wasn't me that said he asked for a trade. I bet a lot more players ask for trades than we ever know. It is just what happens when players get frustrated. I said he may have, but who cares if he did.

Yeah but he's a kid who's played only 1.5 NHL seasons. Like people come on! Give him a chance before you start beating on him. How do we know he's going to be disappointing this year. I still don't get how he was disappointing but Huberdeau wasn't

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Not many people were expecting him to be. Just cause both played in Sarnia and hockey news said a couple things to stir up media and conversation doesn't mean a lot of people thought Yak was better. Stamkos was a 60 goal scorer in the NHL before Yak was drafted so if a lot of people expected him to be better than Stamkos then those people should give their heads a shake.

I meant on these boards. A lot of posters were saying he would be better than Stammer. He got drafted by the Oilers and his stock plummeted. Now he's a bust and a KHL flight risk. Go figure.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Considering enigmatic pretty much means mysterious, I don't think it's such a bad term for Yaks.

I know many in the media will spin the word into something else to suit their views, but whatever, it's just a word (that seems to be used in the wrong context)

The only reason he is called enigmatic is because he is Russian. When was the last time a good old Canadian boy was called enigmatic?

Keep cheering for selfish guy and not the team.

Well, that "selfish guy" is a part of the team, so I'll go right on cheering him.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

Do you have proof Yakupov whined to his agent? Based off reports, it was Larionov himself who decided he had seen enough and had to come over to deal with Yakupov's mistreatment. You would too if you saw Eakins scratch Yakupov to suck up to Ales Hemsky, a player who actually sulks when things aren't handed to him, then scratch him again the next game for no reason other than to use him as a Scapegoat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad