News Article: Enigmatic Yakupov and The Bounce Back

GrandLarseny

Jersey Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Here's the interview in question:

LINK

I too noticed an improvement in his English. Hoping he has a bounceback year.

Side note: Does anyone know where I can get that specific hat he has?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Not sure if his interview on the Oilers site has been touched on, but his English has gotten a lot better and his outlook also seems to be in a better place.

I know it's pretty hard to compare a pre-season interview to one from last season, but it's night and day seeing his demeanor. It's pretty clear to see how hard last season was for him in this comparison.

Yeah, that was a good interview.

Looks like Yaks has not only improved his English substantially, he also sounds a hell of a lot more confident than he did at times last year.

One thing that really impressed me was that Horky told him to take the number 10 last year, I'm assuming when he got traded...maybe not though, and Yaks told him he didn't want it yet because the fans knew Horc as #10 for so long.

Hope he has a big bounce back this year.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Watched both interviews of Yak. He is such a delight. I don't know how anyone can cheer against that guy. Like others have said, his English is much better than it was last year, maybe he's been using a Rosetta Stone. I can't help but love this guy, he is full of fun and personality. Hoping he rebounds HUGE!

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Watched both interviews of Yak. He is such a delight. I don't know how anyone can cheer against that guy. Like others have said, his English is much better than it was last year, maybe he's been using a Rosetta Stone. I can't help but love this guy, he is full of fun and personality. Hoping he rebounds HUGE!

here here

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
How long until Rishaug blasts Yakupov for spending too much time learning English, and not enough time learning how to play away from the puck? :sarcasm:

Karlsson2Turris*

Sens fan coming here, just wanted to say I'm a big fan of Yak and hope he really turns it around. He put up ridiculous numbers in junior and should still turn into a 30-40 goal scorer. I honestly think the only reason he gets hated on so much is because he plays for the Oilers. Huberdeau, despite winning the Calder over Yak, actually had 2 less goals than Yak and no one calls him a busy...call it HF bias if you will. Anyways, I wish the kid all the best in the future.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Sens fan coming here, just wanted to say I'm a big fan of Yak and hope he really turns it around. He put up ridiculous numbers in junior and should still turn into a 30-40 goal scorer. I honestly think the only reason he gets hated on so much is because he plays for the Oilers. Huberdeau, despite winning the Calder over Yak, actually had 2 less goals than Yak and no one calls him a busy...call it HF bias if you will. Anyways, I wish the kid all the best in the future.

Cheers. Nice to see some unbiased fans for once. :yo:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
His english is much improved and just seems comfortable and confident. Really good to see hopefully it carries thru to the season and he gets a good start.

I'm going to say 22G 19A for 39 pts in 78 games and I think he gets a little better away from the puck. Avg 13/14 minutes a night and he will excel on our PP.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
His english is much improved and just seems comfortable and confident. Really good to see hopefully it carries thru to the season and he gets a good start.

I'm going to say 22G 19A for 39 pts in 78 games and I think he gets a little better away from the puck. Avg 13/14 minutes a night and he will excel on our PP.

I know last year was tough for him... but if those are his stats... for a third year 1st overall, that is disappointing.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Yea his English is improved...considerably. I have to look at some interviews late last season to compare.

Just my opinion but I always felt there was a certain language barrier issues between Yak + Belov and Eakins. They seemed more confused than they should of been at times (neither of which are dolts). I feel this was a large reason why Yak performed better at times with Krueger. I think Krueger was better at handling language barriers with his international experience. But it's just speculative.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013

Please don't ever help your children with math homework.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not necessarily. There's lots of examples of highly drafted players that took time to establish themselves

I suppose so... Ryan Johansen is a decent example. From AHL healthy scratch in playoffs in his 2nd pro year to 30 goal 60+ point player in his 3rd. Kyle Turris was taken 3rd overall. He didn't break 30 points in his career until year 6 this year (58 points). Took JVR (taken one spot ahead of Turris) 4 seasons to break out. It took the Sedin's 6 years before they became top line producers.

But honestly, it's exceptionally out of character for 1st overall forwards. These guys are generally cut from a different cloth.

Hall
Tavares
Stamkos
Kane
Crosby
Ovechkin
Nash
Kovalchuk

All were ppg star players by their third years in the league. Nuge was the first one who wasn't since Patrick Stefan. Yakupov likely will be the 2nd.

It has happened though. Both Joe Thornton and Lecavalier took longer to establish themsleves as stars in the league. But noone for years has had a year even remotely as bad as Yakupov did.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

He is also Russian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad