Line Combos: Engvall-Kampf-Mikheyev Appreciation Post

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Congrats to those guys they are playing great for their AAV .. all great signings .. good moves by Dubie .. hope they can continue it during playoffs when it counts

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Yeah, these 3 look sooooo good together. I also like Kase with Nylander. With Matthews back, I’d like to see:

Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Nylander - Tavares - Kase
Engvall - Kampf - Mikheyev
*TBD - Kerfoot - Spezza

Where that last 4th liner is one of Simmonds/Clifford/Robertson.

Reactions: Twine Tickler

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Yeah, these 3 look sooooo good together. I also like Kase with Nylander. With Matthews back, I’d like to see a top 9 of:

Then Kerfoot and Spezza on the 4th line, with that last 4th liner somewhat arguable.
I would rather go with:

Nylander-Matthews-Kase
Bunting-Tavares-Marner
Engvall-Kampf-Mikheyev
Robertson-Kerfoot-Spezza

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
I would not break up Bunting - Tavares - Marner. Matthews need to carry his line without Marner's help....

Also third line is awesome, but if we can replace Engvall to improve that line at the trade deadline, I'd do it. McBain maybe?

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Love this line. Perfect combination of speed, size, reach and tenacity. Each are defensively sound, a bit limited offensively but they move the puck out of our end.

Gotta find a way to keep Mikky but I think he views himself as a top 6 kind of guy. His history wouldn't support that though.

Reactions: horner

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Never get tired of seeing Mikheyev shoot out of a cannon down the wing. Doesn't result in a goal usually (though he'll finish with a nice 15-18 goal total), but it gets the puck out and pressures the opposition.

Reactions: supermann_98 and kb

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Love this line. Perfect combination of speed, size, reach and tenacity. Each are defensively sound, a bit limited offensively but they move the puck out of our end.

Gotta find a way to keep Mikky but I think he views himself as a top 6 kind of guy. His history wouldn't support that though.
Only 3 PP goals between all of them.

The line actually can do some decent damage on at ES.

Reactions: kb

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah, these 3 look sooooo good together. I also like Kase with Nylander. With Matthews back, I’d like to see:

*TBD - Kerfoot - Spezza

Where that last 4th liner is one of Simmonds/Clifford/Robertson.
I think this is how I see it as well.

*TBD - Kerfoot - Spezza

Bolded are the lines I would not touch. We've not had a top line as good at that maybe ever, absolutely no reason to break them up until they stop scoring over an extended period of time. That 3rd line smothers the best lines on the opposition, and shockingly ends up ahead in the goal differential most of the time despite being "offensively challenged". To me I would not touch those lines until they have a long stretch of being ineffective. The other 2 lines I am open to any and all experimentation, but I really do think our best bet is to force feed JT and Willy.

If we can somehow manage to figure that JT-Willy line out we could be very dangerous. They've been able to do it in the past for long stretches of time, and I think they are both not doing what they need to do defensively to consistently create that offense 5v5.

It's almost counter intuitive, but the more they focus on the defensive side, the more time they will spend on offense. It's how they broke out of this very slump last season as well when people were critical of their 5v5 play. It was also the reason they were so effective early in the year as well. Aggressive back checking, cleaner zone exits, less perimeter shooting off the rush. Essentially sustained pressure for 200 feet. The offense will follow IMO. Put together game tape of theirs from the first 30 games of the year and last 20 of last year. Get them to fully understand what makes them successful as a duo. Because like it or not, we need them to be effective as a duo.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Engvall is looking like he's reached a new high in his game, shooting more, confidently carrying the puck more, making some impressive plays and even throwing a hit or 2.

The whole 3rd line has been great but Engvall and Mik have some incredible tools with their skating and size, and now starting to show a little finish.

If we go far in the playoffs it will be because of the 3rd line so it's nice to see them all playing so well lately

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
mikheyev sure is fun to watch anyway. Wonder what he will get as a ufa and if the Leafs can afford him? I get a bad feeling it will be a surprisingly high number. By a team that overemphasizes analytics and fails to notice there is something missing there. Assuming mikheyev's stats in certain ways are really good thanks to his skating.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
so Mikky now on 2nd line?

edit: didnt realize we made adjustment of mikky/nylander swap. finally. JT cannot play with nylander. He got 2 goals last game, dont think it was a coincidence.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
so Mikky now on 2nd line?

edit: didnt realize we made adjustment of mikky/nylander swap. finally. JT cannot play with nylander. He got 2 goals last game, dont think it was a coincidence.
Both goals were on the PP.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I don't agree with Keefe's decision to break up this line which has been incredibly effective for us.

We have other options to try and fix the second line.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00