GWT: English Premier League: 9/24 - 9/26/2016

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Lol, let's blame Ayew, he's injured for months :sarcasm:
Like Ayew would make a difference anyways.I'm mostly blaming management for buying the wrong players for big fees and not addressing pressing needs like the defense.

All summer long West Ham were trying to show that they were a "big club" now by trying to get players like Lacazette and James Rodriguez and just fell flat on their faces.Buying a random assortment of players just to make a splash on the market just reeked of desperation.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
That's not what worth 30m means.

Carroll was Liverpool's best player for a month when they bought him too.

Bolasie was actually a value buy when you consider the amount of money that Liverpool have spent on average players. They are a major reason why Bolasie sold for 30 million and not 15-20. Bolasie is awesome. I didn't think much of the signing simply because he came from Crystal Palace. But it's pretty hard to watch him at Everton and not come to the realization that he's worth 30 million.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yes, they spent a lot on a player like Benteke who is also not worth that much but still better than Bolasie. Judging players by one month is ludicrous in the extreme, especially considering Bolasie's history of inconsistency.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think something to consider though is that just because a player is better doesn't mean that player is worth more to a specific team. Different teams play different styles and have different needs.

A player is worth whatever a team is willing to pay for them. I thought we covered this already.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think something to consider though is that just because a player is better doesn't mean that player is worth more to a specific team. Different teams play different styles and have different needs.

A player is worth whatever a team is willing to pay for them. I thought we covered this already.

Worth for a player for a specific team is true. Teams have different needs and they may value a certain position or type of player more than another because of need, but that doesn't mean they should overspend on a need just because. Sometimes you are forced into those situations, but if it's a bad buy, it's still a bad buy.

I mean we did, and most agree your view is not correct.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Transfer cost doesn't always tell the tale. Wages and agent fees are just as much of the price.

To be fair, they got almost every penny back for Benteke.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Karius
4Rna0fM.jpg

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Not surprising since they bought a random assortment of trash.More than 40 million for the likes of Ayew and Zaza is pure madness.

I'll amend my earlier comment slightly. Masuaku has been good for the most part, too. Now injured of course.

I agree about not buying on defense. Selling Tomkins was really stupid, too.

And Ayew may be the best of the bunch when healthy. Zaza is currently on loan, by the way.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
A far more apt hockey comparison would be PK Subban. A defender with a lot of flair and zest, great offensive capability, major fan favourite because of his off field charisma, exciting player, who time to time makes gaffes that live strong in the memory of those who dislike him

Actually, numbers would say that Subban is an excellent on the defensive side also. But sure, he makes 3 bad giveaways during the season and that's all people remember. Unless you actually watch all games (like I do every season), and look at the stats on top of that. He was by far the best defensive defenseman on the Habs last year... and every year.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I'll amend my earlier comment slightly. Masuaku has been good for the most part, too. Now injured of course.

I agree about not buying on defense. Selling Tomkins was really stupid, too.

And Ayew may be the best of the bunch when healthy. Zaza is currently on loan, by the way.
Zaza is technically on loan but will have to be bought after a certain number of appearances.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Actually, numbers would say that Subban is an excellent on the defensive side also. But sure, he makes 3 bad giveaways during the season and that's all people remember. Unless you actually watch all games (like I do every season), and look at the stats on top of that. He was by far the best defensive defenseman on the Habs last year... and every year.

Exactly. That's exactly what I'm saying. That is why David Luiz and PK Subban is a good comparable. Because David Luiz is actually very good defensively, but people only remember the gaffes.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Was this during a corner? Not that weird, tbh. I wouldn't be quite that high but I would probably stand within ten yards of him.

From the look of the bottom picture, it might have been. But I think he's consistently ventured out when they have the ball. It also might seem more drastic since we're used to watching Mignolet who is much less adventurous. Karius has some more aggressive tendencies about him.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Why is it a bloody shame though? What has Sakho done to get this kind of cult hero status with Liverpool? He's been injured, inconsistent, and a relatively constant distraction at Liverpool. He got benched at PSG for players most people would probably not want to have starting with Liverpool and he's never been a consistent starter.

He's completely overrated. Lovren/Matip is a better pairing anyway, and while he'd be good depth to have he's obviously not looking to play a bench role.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Why is it a bloody shame though? What has Sakho done to get this kind of cult hero status with Liverpool? He's been injured, inconsistent, and a relatively constant distraction at Liverpool. He got benched at PSG for players most people would probably not want to have starting with Liverpool and he's never been a consistent starter.

He's completely overrated. Lovren/Matip is a better pairing anyway, and while he'd be good depth to have he's obviously not looking to play a bench role.

Glad to see some liverpool fans finally coming around. As to why he's a cult hero well, he has personality. Like Lavezzi.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
TBF I've always said that Sakho has been overrated and inconsistent. Yes, he can have some dominant games, but he had just as many atrocious games for Liverpool. Whatever he did in the past or for the NT is kind of irrelevant in that case. I always preferred Lovren, and Lovren has actually worked hard and stepped up to get over his initial rough start to his Liverpool career. I like players with personality too, but they have to be able to perform on the pitch and not be a distraction off it.

It is a shame that he can't fall in line, yes.

And he got benched for Thiago Silva and Marquinhos, so...

He got benched for Alex and Bisevac by Ancelotti. Marquinhos wasn't even on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad