GWT: English Premier League: 9/16-9/18

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Lovren has always been about ups and downs. Had an amazing year in Lyon, was a complete stud, year after he sucked like crazy.
Then in the EPL I think he had the exact same path before Liverpool and in Liverpool he sucked at times and was great for other stretches.
Fact is, you don't know who you'll get in 6 months.

With that said, clearly Klopp has given him back some confidence. Good for him. And good for Liverpool.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Henderson that was gorgeous

We are ***** today

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Could have seen this coming from when Chelsea played Liverpool in preseason. For whatever reason Conte played catenaccio that game to keep a clean sheet and tried to do it again even though Liverpool played a lot better players today.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Take Oscar and Matic off for Fab and Pedro/Moses

We've had nothing come from the middle of the pitch

Move Willian or Hazard central and sit Fabregas behind the three we need something different

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
People who said Chelsea are winning the league are so wrong. Not going to happen. They need a major overhaul, and that's after spending about 100 million net this Summer. Mourinho dumping de Bruyne and Mata looks even worse now.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes Chelsea won't win the league, but they'll catch the CL.
I stand by my City winning easily prediction. I said United would finish 2nd, but Arsene's last minutes mercato moves look good, so Arsenal will fight United for 2nd or 3rd. Chelsea will get 4th IMO. Liverpool dropping too many easy points will let them 5th.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yes Chelsea won't win the league, but they'll catch the CL.
I stand by my City winning easily prediction. I said United would finish 2nd, but Arsene's last minutes mercato moves look good, so Arsenal will fight United for 2nd or 3rd. Chelsea will get 4th IMO. Liverpool dropping too many easy points will let them 5th.

I could see this if Klopp doesn't adjust to packed teams. Signs have been bright since the game against Burnley, but we'll see. They're always up for the big games, but it's the bottom table teams that worry me most.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
People who said Chelsea are winning the league are so wrong. Not going to happen. They need a major overhaul, and that's after spending about 100 million net this Summer. Mourinho dumping de Bruyne and Mata looks even worse now.

I don't think any EPL squad is by any means perfect. I picked them to finish top 4 but not to win.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
It was always going to be the same issue when you rely on Hazard for the only creativity

Like if we sit Fabregas, we have nothing. Matic and Kante aren't going to offer that, and Azpilicueta on the left with ivanovic on the right.. both are relatively useless for attack

It's like we're playing a 6-3-1 yet we manage to be down 2-0 after one half

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I thought before the season that Liverpool would drop many easy points, but after seeing the team in action I have my doubts. Their opening schedule was quite difficult and I didn't think they'd start the season off well. With a win here they'd have ten points in the bank from Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, and Leicester. The Milner at LB experiment also worked against Mahrez, Lamela, and today Willian. I also thought Mignolet would drop the team points and he'll be out of the team next weekend.

Its been a great start and we have nice depth in certain positions, so we'll see. I didn't think they'd finish top four but now I do.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I thought before the season that Liverpool would drop many easy points, but after seeing the team in action I have my doubts. Their opening schedule was quite difficult and I didn't think they'd start the season off well. With a win here they'd have ten points in the bank from Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, and Leicester. The Milner at LB experiment also worked against Mahrez, Lamela, and today Willian. I also thought Mignolet would drop the team points and he'll be out of the team next weekend.

Its been a great start and we have nice depth in certain positions, so we'll see.

The Burnley result wasn't encouraging in that regard.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Take Oscar and Matic off for Fab and Pedro/Moses

We've had nothing come from the middle of the pitch

Move Willian or Hazard central and sit Fabregas behind the three we need something different

Matic off for sure. Oscar didn't seem to get many touches. Funny enough the color guy (is that le Saux?) was saying he was too deep, but I'm seeing the exact opposite and for me it was obvious he was coming back to get the ball. Anyway, I still think Chelsea should go 4-3-3 considering lack of width they get from their backs.

I don't think any EPL squad is by any means perfect. I picked them to finish top 4 but not to win.

Of course not. I was just commenting on what Guardiola has to work with last night. Still he's going to get a lot of what he has, something I don't see happening from Mourinho or Conte to a degree. I think Klopp will get a lot out of his squad as well, though if you consider the goals today they are for lack of a better term fortunate.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It wasn't, but they had 81% possession with Burnley not attacking the whole game after a Clyne giveaway. Very rarely will any team set up to try to get points that way. Next week against Hull will be a good test of that.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It's like we're playing a 6-3-1 yet we manage to be down 2-0 after one half

I think primary defending the way some managers like to do doesn't work in the Premier League anymore. Conte however is far more adaptable than Mourinho, so I don't think Chelsea getting beaten this way at home should be happening too often.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Of course not. I was just commenting on what Guardiola has to work with last night. Still he's going to get a lot of what he has, something I don't see happening from Mourinho or Conte to a degree. I think Klopp will get a lot out of his squad as well, though if you consider the goals today they are for lack of a better term fortunate.

Yeah, City have the best manager, who has shown over many years that he's the best in the world at getting consistent results game after game out of his players.

And I also agree that Liverpool hasn't been dominating the game nearly as much as the scoreboard would indicate. I think it has actually been fairly even.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Matic off for sure. Oscar didn't seem to get many touches. Funny enough the color guy (is that le Saux?) was saying he was too deep, but I'm seeing the exact opposite and for me it was obvious he was coming back to get the ball. Anyway, I still think Chelsea should go 4-3-3 considering lack of width they get from their backs.

I really hope Alonso is something. Haven't watched one of his games since he was in the PL and he didn't seem like anything. Otherwise, we spent another 20 million on another left back (luis > baba > alonso) who all couldn't displace ivanovic of all players.

Wouldn't dropping deep mean he was coming back to get the ball? I think it does.. so I think you are on the same page with him. He would come back and then nothing would come from it

Very ****** half. I wonder if Conte continues with the lone striker and makes the subs around that, or if he's totally done with this **** performance that he just wants the direct balls into the box. in that case I guess michy will come on.

they just need change, and they need an early goal.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
All of those players you mentioned should have taken the LB spot and are better than Ivanovic. Unfortunately coaches don't always see it that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad