GWT: English Premier League: 8/13 - 8/15/2016

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Net spend of -12.5m last year, don't know about this one. Looks like 20m so far.

It was commented on that during halftime Arsenal's substitutes were aimlessly sent out there to do keep-ups and Liverpool's were sent out to do repetition drills with a coach.

That says a lot to me. Modern coaching is different than it used to be.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Net spend of -12.5m last year, don't know about this one. Looks like 20m so far.

It was commented on that during halftime Arsenal's substitutes were aimlessly sent out there to do keep-ups and Liverpool's were sent out to do repetition drills with a coach.

That says a lot to me. Modern coaching is different than it used to be.

Does it? Our subs actually looked good.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I disagree to some extent. Xhaka committed a lot of fouls while looking off the pace and Cazorla's notable contribution was to cross the ball into Monreal's butt.

Oxlade-Chamberlain did look good though.

Cazorla also assisted on chambers' goal. Agreed on Xhaka but that could be about the new league. I don't think a different warmup 25 minutes earlier would have been the difference.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Cazorla also assisted on chambers' goal. Agreed on Xhaka but that could be about the new league. I don't think a different warmup 25 minutes earlier would have been the difference.

Yeah I messed up on that one.

Those goals also came after Liverpool was convinced they won and Klopp carried players on his back.

All in all, first game of the season, hard to judge too much. Sometimes things look like a trend though.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
One other thing.

Is it too much to ask Klopp to put a suit on? It's Arsenal vs. Liverpool, not Fleetwood vs. Leyton Orient. Liverpool have a sharp team suit as well and he's dressed like he's taking his dog for a walk. But I guess when you're doing pigy-backs with the players...

Also try to avoid what Bournemouth have done because they look like a nascar pit crew.

Nah, in fact I hope he goes full Belichick

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I still don't buy the factors that Kroenke is the main reason why this club sucks in a way he wants to be cheap. I just can't see it, what I still think happens is that Stan wanted to buy a good business investment, which Arsenal is (don't deny that). But since he doesn't have a huge football pedigree, he has to trust the people who are in charge, Ivan and notably Arsene. I think it's crazy to think that a person like Wenger doesn't have major influences at Arsenal. He has a scouting team and he sends them to scout players he likes, he then gets the reports back, watches the players, and finally tells Ivan to get "x player". But I also think he has great contribution to the amount he is willing to spend on a player (as we've seen with Higuain and Draxler) in both wages and fees. Remember that Arsenal also were about to get Carvalho, but decided not to because they couldn't agree on paying the full amount at one time. I just can't see Wenger asking Kroenke if it's okay and Stan saying no. It has to start and end with Wenger, remember that Arsenal have close to 200 million pounds in spending wealth. I'm not saying that he needs to go out and spend 100 million of it right away to make this club good, not at all. But a serious problem is a result from not putting a couple extra million into a deal. This team could look like...

Higuain/Suarez
Draxler - Oezil - Sanchez
Carvalho - Cazorla
LB - Mustafi - Kos - Bellerin
Cech​
With a bench of Walcott, Ramsey, Campbell Mert, Wilshere, OX, Chambers, and GK (rotating). A lot better than the pathetic display that was put out there today, which let an average Liverpool run wild on us. While with the Alexis and Oezil fees, Wenger thought that they were worth the money and thus making them easy transfers when each player was available.

If you have Higuain, you likely don't have Özil. Same summer, likely not going to spend 70 million on two players in 2013. We bought the better player IMO.

Similar situation with Suarez. if he doesn't go to Barcelona, Alexis may not be available.

So putting them all in the same XI doesn't exactly tell the true story. Could that have possibly facilitated a Draxler deal at some point by not having Alexis or Özil quite possibly and I'd go as far to say as we likely would have him. But we were never going to end up with all of those players in the space of two summer transfer windows.

I am dating Ramsey's pathetic performances back to last season. All the dude has been able to accomplish the last two years was an amazing fluke goal in a pointless Champion's League game. He doesn't contribute to anything. His shots are always off the mark and when he enters the box, he absolutely disappears. Yeah he has some above-average passing ability, but again with Arsene's tactics, they pass around the box instead of in the box. Cazorla for one has much more talent and vision to find tread needle passes, much more than Ramsey who plays too direct, too blinders mode, and not risky enough.

Monreal wasn't good, no doubt about that, but since he has been a consistently better player than Ramsey has, I am more likely to give him more benefit of the doubt. Name one game where Aaron played a fantastic game? Last game I believe was the Cup Final against Hull City, two seasons ago.

When Arsene had him on RW through the back half of the 14/15 season he very good. It's obvious that #10 is not his best position, but that in effect is where he (Ramsey) wants to play. He fancies himself as a Lampard style of goal getting midfielder which is hard to do as a #8 because you can't vacate the midfield often - and for the wing he doesn't have the agility to beat players a lot and is isolated in the build up. But what he did well is have the energy and stamina to get up down cover for Bellerin's overlapping runs and chip in with a goal here and there.

So for today with Özil "resting" and Santi on the bench he's the most experienced match fit midfielder we had available and he was given a chance there. I see it very much as a one game experiment and he won't be there vs. Leicester next week.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
HZHAoN9.jpg

kvqyqAu.png

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Just watched after 10 hours in the car and a few beverages.

Defense meh, offense good. This season is so out there. Could be amazing, could be awful. Klopp is a good manager, he will however need to get more than some have shown.

Liverpool are so deep this year. That's what is different for me. Arsenal meh. I mean, who were they going to buy? Suarez was never coming. They need a striker, but I also don't see how Ox didn't start for you. But a central defender. Anyone.

Still want a left back. Still wouldn't mind another player. The spend is really low, especially when you consider Benteke should leave.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Still want a left back. Still wouldn't mind another player. The spend is really low, especially when you consider Benteke should leave.

Klopp said something along the lines of not minding if Liverpool made a profit because money would be there later to buy anyone he wanted. Sounds like somebody extremely secure in their position, secure in the quality of the team, and really self confident in their own capability as a coach. Persisting with Morono presents some issues though.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Klopp said something along the lines of not minding if Liverpool made a profit because money would be there later to buy anyone he wanted. Sounds like somebody extremely secure in their position, secure in the quality of the team, and really self confident in their own capability as a coach. Persisting with Morono presents some issues though.

I know he's good enough to win without a big spend but that doesn't mean he should have to.

I also realize they might not need to buy a ton without Europe this season, and I also realize Klopp prides himself on taking decent players and making them better, but part of me wonders that he couldn't do with a tad bit more of special if they can get it.

That said, if it's come Winter or Summer with CL assured, fine, but the club must spend what they can to match his own ambition.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He shouldn't have to, he should be able to do what he wants. I'm certain nobody is telling Klopp what to do though or he wouldn't have signed that huge new contract.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I just don't understand why he persists with Moreno...actually nobody does. I don't know a single fan (Liverpool or otherwise) that thinks he's a competent player. Good teams could attack that side all game and will score because of it. There were at least 4 or 5 times during the match that Arsenal could have moved the ball to Walcott where he was completely unmarked and at least 10-15 feet behind Moreno...like what is he even doing out there?

Anyway, Mané looks class. Can dribble, shoot with both feet, pass decently, has a ton of pace and he's actually very strong on the ball. He was my MotM tbh, despite Coutinho's goals.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He isn't the first coach/manager and won't be the last who has a preference for a certain player for whatever reason, and keeps sticking with them despite most others seeing the problems.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Moreno is not bad moving forward he is just completely random defensively.

He will cost another couple penalties with his reckless tackles maybe even a red card or two.

He has talent but no brain and little willingness to improve on his weaknesses.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I am enjoying watching Coutinho play for Liverpool while I can. I think it's going to be a fight to keep him next summer. But in this climate, you'd have to think if they did sell him it would be at least quin what they paid for him.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Hazard appears to be in shape this year at least. Clearly showed up not ready to go for last season...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad