GWT: English Premier League: 8/13 - 8/15/2016

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The problem is when the narrative changes depending on what team it is. When the truth is, the refs just suck for all teams, it really is as simple as that.

I wouldn't say the refs just 'suck' for all teams. The thing is that as long as we use people and no reviews there will be things missed, mistakes made, inconsistent decisions based on each ref's personal belief (despite their training) etc.

Keep in mind being a ref is not an easy job. There's so much going on on a pitch and sometimes at a very high speed in close proximity. Between the diving, embellishment, complaining/surrounding the ref and obstruction it's often up to a judgment call.

I'm guilty of it myself and often criticize the refs, but after the game it's time to just let it go. I still look back on the Sevilla/Liverpool EL final and shake my head but...that's life. Sometimes the errors seem egregious but it's never an easy job.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
The problem is when the narrative changes depending on what team it is. When the truth is, the refs just suck for all teams, it really is as simple as that.

Yes and no.

I guarantee you reputation and the name of the club and the player comes into play sometimes.
Especially when it's a ref who can buckle under pressure from players and the crowd.

As a casual West Ham fan/watcher, that team was absolutely robbed of 8 points last season (including 2 ridiculous last minute penalties vs Chelsea and Leicester) and didn't go through in the FA Cup quarters at Old Trafford when Schweinsteiger body checked the goalkeeper Randolph on the equalizer to force the replay.

That's a lot of points. Difference between CL and UEFA League.
Difference between maybe getting to play in the Cup Final at Wembley.
That's a lot of money and a potential opportunity lost to attract better players.

I'm not saying the reputation and the names come in every game.
But honestly, if it was, say, ManU in West Ham's spot in those games, I think there's a fairly good chance some of those penalties and red cards are given against them
(FWIW, FA reversed 3 red cards given to West Ham players last year, a record).

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I wouldn't say the refs just 'suck' for all teams. The thing is that as long as we use people and no reviews there will be things missed, mistakes made, inconsistent decisions based on each ref's personal belief (despite their training) etc.

Keep in mind being a ref is not an easy job. There's so much going on on a pitch and sometimes at a very high speed in close proximity. Between the diving, embellishment, complaining/surrounding the ref and obstruction it's often up to a judgment call.

I'm guilty of it myself and often criticize the refs, but after the game it's time to just let it go. I still look back on the Sevilla/Liverpool EL final and shake my head but...that's life. Sometimes the errors seem egregious but it's never an easy job.

This is more or less what I meant. Mistakes are made against all teams, not just certain teams that fans like to bash on. Reffing is a very hard job, especially in soccer where the players push the line quite a bit, so it becomes very subjective, and unlike fans watching on tv or from afar, they don't see everything.

I really don't get too upset with the refs because most the of the controversial calls can go either way. My only big wish for soccer, is that they use technology more. Goal line technology should extend to offsides.

Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand
I'd say fans of most teams can point out at least 2 or 3 games a season they didn't get the calls they deserved from the ref. It's a bit harder to remember the games the refs calls go their way "Oh we were the better team, we would've won regardless" etc

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
tumblr_mogf9x0GzP1svmdroo1_400.gif

Damn, I miss that team. They weren't nearly as good as the 2014-15 league-winning team but winning the FA Cup and UCL in the same year was just euphoric.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
As a casual West Ham fan/watcher, that team was absolutely robbed of 8 points last season (including 2 ridiculous last minute penalties vs Chelsea and Leicester)

West Ham was hardly robbed against Leicester since the penalty given to West Ham 10 minutes earlier was a complete joke.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I was three rows up, centre field (centre pitch?) at Stamford Bridge against West Ham... and I gotta say, I'm hooked.

I had fallen out of love with Chelsea during Mou's second reign. I found them lacking character and joyless. And since I'm neither British nor grew up with any affiliation to any EPL team, I was a nominal supporter of many clubs and watched matches for fun. My flatmates were United fans and I watched many of their games begrudgingly.

I used to follow Chelsea more closely, when my favourite players played there (Ballack - but I grew to also love Lamps, Drogba, and especially Terry) but that was a while ago.

Anyway - I'm back baby. It was a rush watching Terry and Cahill command the backfield, and Hazard, Costa, and Willian wreak havoc upon the West Ham defense... I felt like a kid again.

Conte is going to be good for them, I'm excited for their new stadium too - it could possibly turn out to become a legendary period for Chelsea FC. I won't call myself a fan just yet, I don't think I've earned it, but I certainly dislike a few teams: Arsenal, United, City, Spurs...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad