GWT: English Premier League: 8/13 - 8/15/2016

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
One other thing.

Is it too much to ask Klopp to put a suit on? It's Arsenal vs. Liverpool, not Fleetwood vs. Leyton Orient. Liverpool have a sharp team suit as well and he's dressed like he's taking his dog for a walk. But I guess when you're doing pigy-backs with the players...

Also try to avoid what Bournemouth have done because they look like a nascar pit crew.

Only the Champions League is worthy of Klopp's suits.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Before I get into player performances I must say I am extremely happy by the result. Not only did we see some brilliant goals, some great football, and zero defending, but Arsenal also lost in Wenger like faction which is a win/win in my books.

Now to the players...

First I would like to give a good shout to Booyahsha or whatever the posters name is now. I was giving him a hard time about Ramsey, but he's right about him. Just the biggest waste of freakin' space on the planet. Contributed to absolutely nothing, gets subbed on for Cazorla who automatically makes a difference.

Next one is give a lot of credit to Coutinho, man he's a special player and will only get better.

A player who was actually good was Coquelin, still extremely reckless, but man he had a whale of a game.

Moreno's tackle is the type of tackle which snaps ACL's and MCL's, not a dirty player, just a complete suckbag version of one who thinks he's good.

I gotta give a huge LOL to Wenger and the tactics he gave his players to keep spitting out long high balls and crosses for 5'9" Alexis Sanchez, saw him win basically ten headers today for the whole match for a 10% success rate. Problems are still the same, lack of execution, lack of money spent on players, and because of that having to play a CB combination of a 22 year old rookie and a bloke I have no ****in' idea what his name is. Man City had Otamendi start on the bench, Man United had Mkhitaryan start on the bench, at Arsenal we have a 31 year old Cazorla who just came off a major ligament injury earlier this year.

Klopp should switch to contacts.

On to ArsenalFanTv and the next disappointment next weekend...

I completely disagree on Ramsey, especially considering you failed to mentioned Monreal, who some how managed to be worse in the 2nd half than his Spanish counter part in the first half.

Ramsey's barley had a pre-season, and usually doesn't play as a #10, so expecting him to be threading balls through like the guy who is usually in that spot is unfair IMO. Which is why Alexis looked rather anonymous through most of the game.

We had a decent handle on the game until Coutinho hit his the free kick, then it went down hill quick. But Chambers and Holding were not IMO the biggest issue - ironically it was the most experienced one who's played games for the Spanish national team that was the most at fault.

Honestly, we need a LB more than a CB.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Wenger gets the club Champions League every season, keeps them competitive enough that they can change some of the highest ticket prices going, all without spending that much money on improving the squad. It's been clear for a long time this is all that ownership cares about, and Wenger does it perfectly for them. Why would they make a change?

Their three best players are Cech, Alexis, and Ozil. All bought. I hate Arsenal but to say that they aren't spending much money, those three would disagree.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Their three best players are Cech, Alexis, and Ozil. All bought. I hate Arsenal but to say that they aren't spending much money, those three would disagree.

Of course they have spent a bit on a few players, but they don't consistently invest in improving the squad, and the money they do spend is often in the same couple positions. They've had the same holes now for 3 seasons or so, and have done almost nothing to fix them.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Of course they have spent a bit on a few players, but they don't consistently invest in improving the squad, and the money they do spend is often in the same couple positions. They've had the same holes now for 3 seasons or so, and have done almost nothing to fix them.

Well this season it's very obvious they didn't spend too much. They want to see what they have.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Even I love Kloppo's outfits. Has he started wearing grey hoodies with Pool! written on them yet? He should do that as soon as he can. Get them custom made if necessary.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Well this season it's very obvious they didn't spend too much. They want to see what they have.

They bought Xhaka this year at least, but midfield wasn't their biggest need. They hardly spent anything last season either. The only meaningful guys they bought were Cech for about £12m and Elneny for about £11m in the winter.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
They bought Xhaka this year at least, but midfield wasn't their biggest need. They hardly spent anything last season either. The only meaningful guys they bought were Cech for about £12m and Elneny for about £11m in the winter.

Well what are their biggest needs? The only thing I can think of is ST which Giroud is fine for now and CB which they have some major injuries at right now.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Also entering its third year of relevance:

supermarket-sweep-arsene.gif

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Well what are their biggest needs? The only thing I can think of is ST which Giroud is fine for now and CB which they have some major injuries at right now.

They need a RW, a ST, a CB, and maybe a LB although I'm comfortable with Monreal/Gibbs even after Monreal's howler today

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Considering one of the goals against comes from Morono and the other from a Lovren deflection, I think there's quite a bit to be happy about. Morono is generally only exploited by the best teams and in most cases when that happens it's a lot worse than it was today. I know that sounds silly but to only give up one scoring chance and a penalty is better than what usually happens. Third goal was bad marking from Lovren.

The recurring theme throughout was that Arsenal's attacks would come from Lallana and sometimes Wijnaldum losing possession deep in midfield. Lots of loose passing but that generally comes with the territory of not knowing how to play with your teammates yet. Coutinho occupying the Reus position in these tactics is interesting. He scores a lot of goals from this position but his impact overall is a bit dulled. He doesn't get as many touches there as I'd like. Firmino was tricky but I feel like there were a few plays he could have done more.

Mane you can immediately tell is going to be a huge impact player. For starters he's faster than everyone on the pitch, can make plays with both feet, and his running style puts defenders off because it's impossible to tell where he's going. Really wanted this signing and was so pleased when it was completed.

Liverpool's tactics are a little interesting, and I agree with the posts about not being able to slow the game down. The thing is though, Liverpool has super athletic players in their midfield and forward line. They're filled with players like that, so when the game needs to be killed off there's no shortage of players to bring in to run back at the opponent and push them into the ground. Origi, Can, and Stewart all did very well in their cameos today. This wasn't our best starting team either, so there's clear room for improvement.

Really pleased with the 3 points but more pleased with the attacking. No shortage of creativity or guile. Wijnaldum's ball for the 2-1 showed great vision and really feels like something we've lacked in the final third for the past couple seasons. He's not and never will be as good as Gerrard, but we haven't had secondary and tertiary attacking threats to make plays like that since Gerrard was pushed deep into midfield.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
On the Arsenal subject, I'm surprised people don't think a midfielder or two was their biggest need. Did you guys see what happened when Lallana stopped passing the ball out to touch? Their midfield was caught out of position a lot and it was the catalyst for many of Liverpool's attacks.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Very happy with this win. Got to watch it with an Arsenal fan at his place and it was a very fun game to watch though nervewracking at the end.

I'm happy with most of it except Mignolet and Moreno (despite the peno save). Everyone else on the team looks pretty solid to exceptional (that Mane goal wow, don't care who was defending him). I think the 4-3-3 is the way to go moving forward. Wijnaldum will grow in influence and could have had a goal or two even today to go along with a very nice assist...you can see right away that he brings great control in tight areas and rarely misplaces/loses the ball. Really excited for this season.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I still don't buy the factors that Kroenke is the main reason why this club sucks in a way he wants to be cheap. I just can't see it, what I still think happens is that Stan wanted to buy a good business investment, which Arsenal is (don't deny that). But since he doesn't have a huge football pedigree, he has to trust the people who are in charge, Ivan and notably Arsene. I think it's crazy to think that a person like Wenger doesn't have major influences at Arsenal. He has a scouting team and he sends them to scout players he likes, he then gets the reports back, watches the players, and finally tells Ivan to get "x player". But I also think he has great contribution to the amount he is willing to spend on a player (as we've seen with Higuain and Draxler) in both wages and fees. Remember that Arsenal also were about to get Carvalho, but decided not to because they couldn't agree on paying the full amount at one time. I just can't see Wenger asking Kroenke if it's okay and Stan saying no. It has to start and end with Wenger, remember that Arsenal have close to 200 million pounds in spending wealth. I'm not saying that he needs to go out and spend 100 million of it right away to make this club good, not at all. But a serious problem is a result from not putting a couple extra million into a deal. This team could look like...

Higuain/Suarez
Draxler - Oezil - Sanchez
Carvalho - Cazorla
LB - Mustafi - Kos - Bellerin
Cech​
With a bench of Walcott, Ramsey, Campbell Mert, Wilshere, OX, Chambers, and GK (rotating). A lot better than the pathetic display that was put out there today, which let an average Liverpool run wild on us. While with the Alexis and Oezil fees, Wenger thought that they were worth the money and thus making them easy transfers when each player was available.

I completely disagree on Ramsey, especially considering you failed to mentioned Monreal, who some how managed to be worse in the 2nd half than his Spanish counter part in the first half.

Ramsey's barley had a pre-season, and usually doesn't play as a #10, so expecting him to be threading balls through like the guy who is usually in that spot is unfair IMO. Which is why Alexis looked rather anonymous through most of the game.

We had a decent handle on the game until Coutinho hit his the free kick, then it went down hill quick. But Chambers and Holding were not IMO the biggest issue - ironically it was the most experienced one who's played games for the Spanish national team that was the most at fault.

Honestly, we need a LB more than a CB.
I am dating Ramsey's pathetic performances back to last season. All the dude has been able to accomplish the last two years was an amazing fluke goal in a pointless Champion's League game. He doesn't contribute to anything. His shots are always off the mark and when he enters the box, he absolutely disappears. Yeah he has some above-average passing ability, but again with Arsene's tactics, they pass around the box instead of in the box. Cazorla for one has much more talent and vision to find tread needle passes, much more than Ramsey who plays too direct, too blinders mode, and not risky enough.

Monreal wasn't good, no doubt about that, but since he has been a consistently better player than Ramsey has, I am more likely to give him more benefit of the doubt. Name one game where Aaron played a fantastic game? Last game I believe was the Cup Final against Hull City, two seasons ago.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
On the Arsenal subject, I'm surprised people don't think a midfielder or two was their biggest need. Did you guys see what happened when Lallana stopped passing the ball out to touch? Their midfield was caught out of position a lot and it was the catalyst for many of Liverpool's attacks.

Yeah, but I think with Özil in forcing Ramsey deeper and whole game of Xhaka as a 6 will solve arsenals midfield woes. El Neny and Coq just aren't enough for the top level.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
One other thing.

Is it too much to ask Klopp to put a suit on? It's Arsenal vs. Liverpool, not Fleetwood vs. Leyton Orient. Liverpool have a sharp team suit as well and he's dressed like he's taking his dog for a walk. But I guess when you're doing pigy-backs with the players...

Also try to avoid what Bournemouth have done because they look like a nascar pit crew.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
the game changer was the coutinho goal before half...just a mentality shift.
2nd half, Liverpool came out with purpose and belief, while Arsenal were broken...not surprising considering the team Wenger fielded.
I will say I am pleasantly surprised with Ox this year, ..he seems to be improving while Walcott?..he's a tale of 2 players in 1 game, I feel for him,..shame.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Sums it up perfectly to all the still pro-Wenger supporters here, but sadly these lads won't drop their season tickets to make a point.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Money had nothing to do with why they lost.

Letting better managers go to their rivals instead of picking one of them does have something to do with it though. Klopp has a Liverpool that will earn a profit in the market this summer playing great attacking football for the last six months, with young players and a bright outlook. Leicester City winning the league. Tottenham getting better every year. I don't want to hear about money.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Letting better managers go to their rivals instead of picking one of them does have something to do with it though. Klopp has a Liverpool that will earn a profit in the market this summer playing great attacking football for the last six months, with young players and a bright outlook. Leicester City winning the league. Tottenham getting better every year. I don't want to hear about money.

That's a bingo.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

To be fair, Tottenham has spent more recently although I don't recall if what I saw was net or not. Agree on the managers though. I really wanted pep. I would hope we're keeping a close eye on Nice this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad