GWT: English Premier League: 5/21/2017

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Great result for us Liverpool fans today. Looking forward to seeing who the transfer fairy brings us this summer.

Hopefully we can bring in a proper LB to give Milner some time at CM in cup games. He was an exemplary teammate and I'd like to see him rewarded with some games in his preferred position next summer.

Congrats to Chelsea fans btw. A well earned title, even if I believe Spurs we're probably the better team overall they weren't as consistent as Chelsea.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Congrats to Chelsea fans btw. A well earned title, even if I believe Spurs we're probably the better team overall they weren't as consistent as Chelsea.

That's the thing though.

Before the Spurs reached their consistency in the 2nd half of the season, they had high highs and low lows.

And Conte just got there earlier, after the Arsenal game.
Not as high "highs", but just soooo consistent.

I love me some Conte, they were my pick to with the PL at the start.

I wonder how Allegri would do if he moved to England. :D

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
What killed Spurs is the beginning of the season where they weren't scoring and drawing way too many games.They weren't losing but weren't winning and dropped points.Chelsea just kept on winning.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
What killed Spurs is the beginning of the season where they weren't scoring and drawing way too many games.They weren't losing but weren't winning and dropped points.Chelsea just kept on winning.

Yeah, October/November was our roughest patch. This was when Kane and Alderweireld both were out.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
No time for ceremony?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39999708

Thousands of pounds have been won in bets on Chelsea captain John Terry being substituted in the 26th minute of his final appearance at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

The 36-year-old had arranged to go off against Sunderland in the minute matching his shirt number.

BBC Sport pundit Alan Shearer said it raised questions of integrity.

The FA has asked the betting companies involved for information on bets they received on the substitution.

One bookmaker said it had paid out on three bets, with one customer claiming he had been paid at 100-1 on a £25 stake.

He was given his winnings after being involved in an exchange on Twitter with the bookmaker as to whether the substitution occurred in 26th minute, when the board went up for Terry to come off, or the 28th minute, when he left the pitch.

The bookmaker said: "Clearly the send-off was planned for the 26th minute to commemorate JT - hence why we paid out."

Another successful gambler, who staked £10, anonymously told the Press Association: "I only put money on this because I thought this is surely going to come in.

"I don't normally bet. It's only the second time I've ever placed a bet.

"I was surprised the odds were that high."

titter.png

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
After giving myself 24 hours, I'm now at peace with the fact that Arsenal will never, ever win another Premier League title as long as Kroenke is owner, and will never be Top 4 again with Wenger as manager. Now that we're off to the Thursday Night Cup, maybe we can strive to be the new Sevilla.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
After giving myself 24 hours, I'm now at peace with the fact that Arsenal will never, ever win another Premier League title as long as Kroenke is owner, and will never be Top 4 again with Wenger as manager. Now that we're off to the Thursday Night Cup, maybe we can strive to be the new Sevilla.

:rolleyes:

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Which, if that was all he said, that would be fine. I still think it would be hyper-dramatic but at least it would be a little more defensible.

In our dog **** of a season, please enlighten me as to what you saw that makes what I said indefensible.

Kroenke just came out and said this club is his investment. Ie. "I don't give a **** about winning."

Arsene went 1-2-5 vs the Top 4 and was winless on the road vs all of them, plus United and Everton. This is on top of losing to the West Brom, Watford, Palace and Everton while also dropping points to Bournemouth and Middlesbrough.

So with our tactically inept manager ready to sign another 2 year contract, rumored to be in the area of 10m per season (kiss player wages goodbye), what is so hyper-dramatic?

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
The team finished 1 point out of 4th and 3 behind 3rd. That is why it's so dramatic. You'd think they finished miles behind the way some people are talking. evilo made a nice comment about that a week or two ago.

We've got 6 teams competing for 4 spots now. Two teams are going to be disappointed at the end of every season. Before this season started City is the only one I'd have bet on to finish in the top 4 but any order those 6 teams ended up finishing in would not have been surprising to me.

If we lose Sanchez and make a Welbeck like signing as the replacement then I would be pretty surprised to see a return to the top 4 next season. If he stays and they make another signing or two I don't see why finishing 3rd or 4th is out of the realm of possibility.

Kroenke out, definitely. I think everyone agrees with that.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think as it stands it is very unlikely that Arsenal will be in the top 4 next season, IMO. However, they should be working very hard to win the Europa League. Chelsea and City are flat out better than they are, United are going to continue to throw endless amounts of money around until they build a relative super-team, and Spurs are currently better and built for success at least for the next couple of years unless they lose some significant pieces (and they focus on the league above everything else).

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
The team finished 1 point out of 4th and 3 behind 3rd. That is why it's so dramatic. You'd think they finished miles behind the way some people are talking. evilo made a nice comment about that a week or two ago.

We've got 6 teams competing for 4 spots now. Two teams are going to be disappointed at the end of every season. Before this season started City is the only one I'd have bet on to finish in the top 4 but any order those 6 teams ended up finishing in would not have been surprising to me.

If we lose Sanchez and make a Welbeck like signing as the replacement then I would be pretty surprised to see a return to the top 4 next season. If he stays and they make another signing or two I don't see why finishing 3rd or 4th is out of the realm of possibility.

Kroenke out, definitely. I think everyone agrees with that.

I'm not going to tell you to take it there, but this conversation has been happening in the transfers thread.

Totally agree on the six teams competing for four places. There are gaps between those sides as this season demonstrated, but I think we'll see a reshuffling of the deck again in the coming season. That said I think it's pretty clear to see that Arsenal won't flop well with that reshuffling of the deck. I think it's pretty clear that of the six they look the furthest out for next season. A lot can change between now and the end of the season. Hell, a lot can change in the next four hours or so. Still it doesn't look good for you lot.

The problem for Arsenal if they lose Sanchez is there go the goals to a large degree. Someone will fill the void to some degree, but probably not to the same degree. Then if Giroud goes, which seems 50-50 at this point, then there go more goals. Lose Ozil as well and you're really in big trouble because between he and Sanchez you've also lose the bulk of your creativity.

The good news is that seemingly leaves them with a ton to spend, but then the issue is who do they draw now without the CL and who they actually buy? To that latter point they've made two signings already right? May be good signings, I can't say, but are they ready to come in and make a difference right away?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes the main problem for Arsenal is that they REALLY have to go back to buying smart and now that they're out of the CL, it's even more important. Buying top class players won't happen now, most likely, and it didn't suit them anyway.
They need to go back to buying young players with potential. And by that I don't mean guys like Mbappé who's out of their league, but guys like Sanson, Guerreiro, Diop (I'm mainly giving french examples because these guys went for low numbers or can be had for low numbers).

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Yes the main problem for Arsenal is that they REALLY have to go back to buying smart and now that they're out of the CL, it's even more important. Buying top class players won't happen now, most likely, and it didn't suit them anyway.
They need to go back to buying young players with potential. And by that I don't mean guys like Mbappé who's out of their league, but guys like Sanson, Guerreiro, Diop (I'm mainly giving french examples because these guys went for low numbers or can be had for low numbers).

100% agree.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
The problem as it stands is if they lose their top 2 or 3 best players, they're going to have to replace them with potential not instant production. They just haven't shown a willingness to overpay, combined with the fact that the market is going to be competitive this window. You have 5 EPL clubs in the CL, all flush with money to spend, the traditional buyers and that doesn't even mention the new money in Italy.

Losing Sanchez and potentially Ozil means they're going to be building for a season or two from now, not so much right away. To that extent, I think Wenger is probably the guy to bring in young players. The trouble you have is whether or not some of the talents that have other options want to stay if you lose your best two players.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The problem as it stands is if they lose their top 2 or 3 best players, they're going to have to replace them with potential not instant production. They just haven't shown a willingness to overpay, combined with the fact that the market is going to be competitive this window. You have 5 EPL clubs in the CL, all flush with money to spend, the traditional buyers and that doesn't even mention the new money in Italy.

Losing Sanchez and potentially Ozil means they're going to be building for a season or two from now, not so much right away. To that extent, I think Wenger is probably the guy to bring in young players.The trouble you have is whether or not some of the talents that have other options want to stay if you lose your best two players.

But you can't sell new players in being part of a Wenger project anymore. Its undeniable that he may be exiting soon, and where people stand on this issue has created a chasm in the fan base. It's an ugly situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad