GWT: English Premier League: 5/12 - 5/18/2017

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Generally I do a large EPL master post at the start of the season. This year, I have no idea what to expect as my conceptions of reality have been shattered by last season, specifically Leicester and Chelsea. We'll see how I feel about the Premier League on Friday in terms of making one for this season.

Sounds about right. I honestly had no clue what would happen this season.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Well, West Ham's chances yesterday went away with Ayew (incredible) miss.
Another "what-might-have-been" game, but Liverpool were clearly the better team.

They'll need to stack up on depth and upgrade a player or two in the starting 11, and if they can do that, with Klopp there, they'll be ready to contend next season - and do serious things in Europe.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I really wouldn't sell Sturridge and I have a bad feeling about it. So he only plays 25 games max a season. He is fit for about 15 of them. He's also lost some speed, so he's not exactly the same. He'd probably score or assist in 3/4ths of his games if he was ever fit a full year for this manager. This is obviously never going to happen though.

Last season he scores in half his games. Scores against Man United in the Europa League, then against Villarreal and in the final against Sevilla. Did something nice leading to that last goal against Dortmund too. Always dangerous in the big matches and brings the extra something. Then today in a game where West Ham clearly wants to defend, he comes out there and runs like he's fully fit and they can't do anything about it. Liverpool desperately needs a player like this to handle defensive teams.

He obviously needs to be managed, but...it would be so stupid to sell him and watch him score 20 goals next season. I can just see him doing it now for Arsenal. His injuries this year were nowhere near as bad as in previous seasons, and none of them were to the ankle or hamstring. I don't think he'll ever play more than 30 games in a season but it would be such a waste to hand him to a competitor. He also won't be going to an international tournament this summer, so there will be less strain on his body and he should be ready for the start of next season. They should only sell a player like that if they're going to buy a world class player. No prospects, but the real deal.

I'm not sure he'd want to leave either. No English team in the CL is going to take the chance, and he wants and deserves to play there.

Also, Henderson has played just two more games the last two seasons. Most people would say getting rid of him would be stupid.

Last edited:

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Both players have problems with their health but the difference is that Henderson can play a full 90 when he's fit. Sturridge is more of a 60 minute player at this point in his career.

I think it makes sense to keep him if Klopp is serious about the 4-4-2 against deeper playing teams next season. However if we're only going to break it out once every couple of months I still think Studge should be sold and be replaced by a striker that thrives as the lone man up top and can properly spearhead that press.

I would miss the heck out of him though.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Yeah, I wouldn't contemplate selling Sturridge unless there really is someone they can get for 40-45 to do the same job. I don't think there is, so keeping him is probably the solution.

The question I have is whether he wants to stay. All of his being out is down to injury, but if that's subsided, he's not going to want to be in the stands. He isn't a 'squad player'.

I have to say both fullbacks looked pretty bad yesterday.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I legitimately don't know the point of a prediction thread if it's not to say where you expect teams to end up....

So you don't know the difference between guessing and entitlement?

I've always been one of the more vocal Liverpool fans in terms of denouncing this idea that we 'deserve' top 4 just because we're Liverpool. Every other team in the top 6 either can outspend us, is more attractive a destination or has been better managed than us (Spurs). A lot has to go right for us to compete at that level, so while I think Liverpool is great I've never had the expectation that they'd be in the top 4 -- though I think it's silly that they've made it this close after the results they've had. They should have made top 4 with ease after a certain point in the season, but as for going into it...I just hope they play well enough to make top 4, and I think they CAN make top 4...but I certainly don't expect it.

Anyway.

Sturridge is interesting. He's finally starting to look like he has a bit of confidence back and he's playing really well, but that Sturridge has not consistently been there even when not injured. If he's happy to stay and only play when he's 100%/mentally ready to give his best then I'm fine with keeping him. I still think we need a true striker that can play the majority of the games and be prolific though. I also think he plays better in a 2 striker system, so having him available for when we need the diamond and such against bus parking teams is not a bad idea either.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Re: Sturridge

Is it worth keeping a guy who's only fit/available for ~30% of your matches? They could sell him at a low price and still profit on the original transfer. His value is only going to depreciate from here on IMO.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's really an argument over semantics. I own picking them to be in the top 4, of course, I thought they COULD get it, and hoped they would. There's a difference between that an expecting it though. I wouldn't be all doom and gloom 'failure of a season' type thing looking from the expectations leading to the season if they didn't make it. Not like the way people treated Rodgers for example; I wouldn't be calling for Klopp's head.

Like I said, unlike a lot of Liverpool fans I don't feel like Liverpool are entitled or should be in the top 4 just because they are Liverpool. Though obviously winning the league and such is always going be the ultimate goal. I think people have higher expectations for the team than are realistic at times.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I didn't think they'd finish top four until very recently. The team compared to some of the others who won't be there is frankly not as good. Every neutral fan knows it isn't as good. They had the advantage of playing no European football as well as having a top manager, and a goalkeeper who unexpectedly improved by leaps and bounds. The disadvantages they had were numerous, and the squad wasn't equipped to deal with all these injuries, but somehow they did it.

No, it's a massive success of a season to be there right now and if they win Sunday. Especially when you consider some of the players they've had playing these games. I love Lucas, but the idea that he's playing for a top four team in 2017 is ludicrous. The lineup away to Stoke was a huge gamble I'm sure no other manager would have tried and it paid off. It almost felt like Klopp was trying to lose that game when I saw the team sheet.

In fact if they win on Sunday it's been a long time since a season where I was perfectly satisfied at the end, so it would be a great feeling. I do think Liverpool as a club belong in the top four (but they didn't have the players, so it was alright), but obviously it looks impossible for any team to do that every year now.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I didn't think they'd finish top four until very recently. The team compared to some of the others who won't be there is frankly not as good. Every neutral fan knows it isn't as good. They had the advantage of playing no European football as well as having a top manager, and a goalkeeper who unexpectedly improved by leaps and bounds. The disadvantages they had were numerous, and the squad wasn't equipped to deal with all these injuries, but somehow they did it.

No, it's a massive success of a season to be there right now and if they win Sunday. Especially when you consider some of the players they've had playing these games. I love Lucas, but the idea that he's playing for a top four team in 2017 is ludicrous. The lineup away to Stoke was a huge gamble I'm sure no other manager would have tried and it paid off. It almost felt like Klopp was trying to lose that game when I saw the team sheet.

In fact if they win on Sunday it's been a long time since a season where I was perfectly satisfied at the end, so it would be a great feeling. I do think Liverpool as a club belong in the top four (but they didn't have the players, so it was alright), but obviously it looks impossible for any team to do that every year now.

Yes, to most of this. I mean, realistically speaking even though it was really unfortunate the way Liverpool didn't win the league in 13/14 it was still one of the most exciting seasons I can ever remember watching, and that was still with a team that was top to bottom worse than a lot of the teams it finished ahead of.

I hope Liverpool win on Sunday and I would love to be in the CL again; I'll be pretty sad and disappointed if we don't get it not because I expect Liverpool to be there based on the talent distribution and resources available but because they were in such a strong position to close out the season and have let it slip.

At the end of the day there's been a lot of positives and a lot to build on this season, and I really hope they do make it.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'll be extremely disappointed because in the end they're playing arguably the worst team in the league and all they have to do is win 1-0. History shows these teams with lots of players who won't be there next season don't show up to play the last week. Their minds will be on their holiday. Liverpool also destroyed them already.

The last time Middlesbrough got a result away from home was April 2nd, and before that January 14th. Before that, the end of November.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yep pretty much my sentiments exactly. There's really no excuse not to finish top 4 at this point as they've already done the hard work to get in this position, and they need to show up and finish the job. Stick with the diamond (maybe bring in Firmino for Origi if he's healthy) and put the ball in the net. It's all in their hands, so yeah.

Would be even happier if City lose one and we don't have to play the qualifiers.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I would also just like to say I'm very happy that Coutinho was used deeper in midfield last game, and that Klopp is openly talking about moving him into more of an 8 (or Iniesta role if that suits your jargon). This is something that should have been coming for a long time. Whether they need to change formation to suit this or buy more players to occupy the advanced positions I don't care.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If they or Watford get a win I can't wait to see how anyone would try to defend Guardiola finishing 5th. That it is even a possibility is totally hilarious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad