GWT: English Premier League: 3/1-3/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
A couple of weeks ago you were saying how it's pointless in buying foreign players when they have to play for the likes of fat sam. Big teams in EPL have regressed this year...they'll bounce back next year but they in general are mediocre compared to the big European teams.

Well it is pointless to buy those players when they play for Fat Sam, that's why Sunderland is hovering near the relegation zone. Newcastle also bought some very good players and did the same thing, that's why they're in it. But the mid-table teams like Watford and Stoke, teams like Southampton, West Ham and Leicester who bought quality and have good managers, those teams are very difficult to get results against now and they seem to derail every team from putting together a run of good performances.

Leicester are the exact model of how difficult the league has become. They spent their money very carefully, hired a very experienced manager, and they're messing with the trends.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Especially when the Spanish equivalent is in second place and a year removed from winning the league and making a CL final.

United are the "equivalent" of Atletico? I've seen it all now.

Who needs nuance when you can just make ridiculous quips all day?

That's hardly more nuanced than the point that the top teams are poor this year. It's just a different perspective.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
ranieiri-leicester-simple.png

StatesideSensFan

Jun 29, 2003
Atlanta
i believe he is laughing at the fact that Atletico is anywhere near United in the financial aspect.

let's not forget that United has spent 250 million pounds the last few years and still has no quality, proven depth.

Atletico would kill for a half of that spend.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
You think they play exciting and/or attractive football? Both teams are basically scoring goals at the same rate. The difference is Atletico doesn't concede any.

I can see why many fans wouldn't enjoy Atletico. I somewhat enjoy watching their defensive adjustments, and their passing and organization on counters is actually pretty neat.

But I thought your implication was that United's brand of football can be successful since Atletico are successful, which would be an extremely ungrounded idea, since aside from whether it entertains the viewer, Atletico function differently together and at a far higher level, and that's what produces results.

i believe he is laughing at the fact that Atletico is anywhere near United in the financial aspect.

let's not forget that United has spent 250 million pounds the last few years and still has no quality, proven depth.

Atletico would kill for a half of that spend.

No, that wasn't my point. Still think Atletico has the better squad right now despite the money.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
That may have been Lallana's best ever game as a Red. Hope he can kick on from it because he looked great out there and finally had some end product, too. I really like him as a player and a person -- he's got fire and his workrate is great, on top of having great technical ability. His final product always seems to be lacking but was on point today.

Anyway, great to see the boys show up today. Everyone played well and I would just like to say it made a world of difference having Flanagan over Moreno. If Klopp goes back to Moreno I'll throw up -- he's the worst player on the team.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If the team hadn't already beaten it out of us a long time ago I have a feeling we'd be a lot more excited about being 6 points from 4th with so much of the season remaining, with the form we're in.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
That may have been Lallana's best ever game as a Red. Hope he can kick on from it because he looked great out there and finally had some end product, too. I really like him as a player and a person -- he's got fire and his workrate is great, on top of having great technical ability. His final product always seems to be lacking but was on point today.

Anyway, great to see the boys show up today. Everyone played well and I would just like to say it made a world of difference having Flanagan over Moreno. If Klopp goes back to Moreno I'll throw up -- he's the worst player on the team.

Worse than Migs?

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
I can see why many fans wouldn't enjoy Atletico. I somewhat enjoy watching their defensive adjustments, and their passing and organization on counters is actually pretty neat.

But I thought your implication was that United's brand of football can be successful since Atletico are successful, which would be an extremely ungrounded idea, since aside from whether it entertains the viewer, Atletico function differently together and at a far higher level, and that's what produces results.

Yeah, sorry. I wasn't comparing style or success. They're completely different in each respect. Maybe unfair on Atletico depending on what we're defining "putrid, uninspiring football" as. I thought it meant boring ;)

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
Apparently Cech injured a muscle running up for a corner at the end of the match.
Wegner says he's out for the weekend's game.

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
Also, updated...

Losing to one of the league's worst at home certainly didn't do Arsenal any favors.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Every week the same lines are dragged out about this being the week that Leicester drops off, and every week they stay on top. :laugh:

The parity in the EPL is fantastic compared to most other leagues, and makes for a far more exciting league to follow. I hope the mid and bottom table teams continue to spend and improve so that there is even more parity in the league going forward.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Every week the same lines are dragged out about this being the week that Leicester drops off, and every week they stay on top. :laugh:

The parity in the EPL is fantastic compared to most other leagues, and makes for a far more exciting league to follow. I hope the mid and bottom table teams continue to spend and improve so that there is even more parity in the league going forward.

Never would I have ever believed to see both Stoke and West Ham battling for a realistic chance at 4th place in the same year. The only thing that is really pissing me off so far is seeing spurs in the excellent form they're in.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Parity?

Or big teams full of mental midgets?

Lower table teams are improving, but the wealthy teams also for the most part just don't have sufficiently well-trained collective structures to solve different defenses and get consistent results out of their superior players, so more unexpected results occur. Most of the top teams in other leagues have those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad