GWT: English Premier League: 3/1-3/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That's supposed to be CL quality there?
Schneiderlin is overrated, Schweini is on his last legs, Darmian is not a high caliber player, Herrera is quality, Shaw and Rojo are certainly not what would turn a disastrous D around.
Now, add up the numbers they paid for all these players combined and how on earth can't they get a top player with all that money spent (outside maybe Herrera)?

Somebody didn't see Shaw play before his injury. He was well on his way to becoming the break out player of the season, both offensively and defensively.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
For 120M€ it was stupid, no question.
With that money, the could have bought 3 quality defensive players and two quality forwards.

United won't get that many palyers for that price. You haven't been paying attention to how much United would have to spend as soon a club finds out they have a player United is interested in.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
United won't get that many palyers for that price. You haven't been paying attention to how much United would have to spend as soon a club finds out they have a player United is interested in.

Come on. If you wanted Kante you would have got him for less than 10M no matter what.
Scouting, scouting, scouting.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Come on. If you wanted Kante you would have got him for less than 10M no matter what.
Scouting, scouting, scouting.

Kante was definitely a WhoScored darling last season in France.

If he was two inches taller I feel like someone bigger than Leicester would have rolled the dice.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I am all for wanting Arsenal to win the EPL title, but firing Wenger is a bigger priority. Getting a loss against Spurs on Saturday will be a fantastic result since the EPL title is close of being gone.

There is a big gap in your logic here and that is you seem to not allow for the very plausible scenario that Arsenal fails to win the title and Arsene sticks around regardless.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Kante was well known but he only had one good season.

If you do the same with Memphis you would have thought you were getting the next Robben.

I really like Kante and he did the best career move with Leicester as if he would have been bought from Chelsea he would probably be rotting on the bench.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Kante was well known but he only had one good season.

If you do the same with Memphis you would have thought you were getting the next Robben.

I really like Kante and he did the best career move with Leicester as if he would have been bought from Chelsea he would probably be rotting on the bench.

LVG already knew him from the national team so I guess that weighed in.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Kante was definitely a WhoScored darling last season in France.

If he was two inches taller I feel like someone bigger than Leicester would have rolled the dice.

For the record, OM wanted him and Kanté wanted to go there. OM just never met the asking price (lol).
Kanté had other offers but chose Leicester because of Ranieri's words on the phone.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
There is a big gap in your logic here and that is you seem to not allow for the very plausible scenario that Arsenal fails to win the title and Arsene sticks around regardless.
What's more likely to happen...Arsenal finishing 3rd/4th or winning the EPL title this year? Of course the title is not truly lost, but I am in the group thinking "the same old, same old" will be the result at the end of the day. Fool me once, shame on me, fool me nine years in a row, shame on you. This same old reasoning will follow the same path as it has the last 8 seasons or so.

- Competition in 1st place for the first half of the season.
- Finish 2nd in a winnable CL group.
- Get destroyed in the first CL game.
- Inconsistencies in EPL season dropping to 2nd/3rd.
- Play great in the second leg of the CL coming a goal off, but bouncing out.
- Go on deep FA Cup run.
- Drop games against Swansea, Stoke, and current trash Chelsea to finish around 3rd to 4th depending on the EPL strength.
- Maybe win the FA Cup.

Even if Shakespeare was writing the script, nobody would want to come and see it, because it would be same re-hash aspect from the last seven seasons.

Again, I am all for Arsenal winning the title, but how can you convince me that this team is going to win the EPL Title? I want to see Arsenal in the best possible shape they can be in, and my conclusion is that firing the manager is the best scenario for this club. And the only way of firing a manger who's been with the club this long is by not achieving the goals he's been able to achieve the last 9 seasons. I don't hate Wenger, he's going to go down as one of the best managers ever and one of the most consistent as well. What he's been able to do has been amazing. BUT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. This team hasn't been going anywhere and it's not going to go anywhere with him in charge. We have 200 million pounds and we've had to deal with not only Giroud as the starting striker for last 4 seasons or so. We've had to deal with Mertesacker, Arteta, Flamini, Ramsey, and the goaltending. I included goalkeeping here is because Lloris went to a **** Spurs club. Not saying this because I am bias against them, they just had a **** club. Lloris would have probably went to Arsenal over Tottenham and now we're relying on the last legs of Cech who's going to be out the next 5-6 games. All have been just atrocious buys and or are players that NEED an upgrade on. Football has the most registered players in the world for a sport at 170 million, true that 90% of it isn't better than any of the players on Arsenal, but you're all going to honestly rebuttal to me that there wasn't a defender out there better than Mertesacker? Hell I think Arsenal could have went after Hummels if they TRULY wanted him here. Not only spending or dishing out 50 million for Mats, why not let Chambers play?

You're right that Wenger is probably going to stay since I have no idea how a person has this much job security, BUT if there is one way that Wenger can be fired, it would be by losing. In a sense, we should lose to make the team better in the long run. Also please you or any other Gooner here, explain and convince me where this team is going to go in the future? I see no future with this club as long as he's in charge, of course it's going to be a top 5-7 club, but the supporting case isn't there (and in some prime positions) to win the EPL title. Maybe if the stars align, they can win a fluke EPL, but this club needs a desperate shake up. The more likely scenario is that Sanchez and Oezil leave recycling the club again like what happened with RvP, Fabregas, and Nasri. Maybe if we are in year 4 of this, I would be more in the optimistic crowd, but not now, not after a decade of this garbage.

Watch this, he's spot on about everything. Monk, who's a really good manager gets fired after a season with an extremely poor club, but Wenger gets to keep going on. Wenger is still as manager NOT BECAUSE of any of the results the past five years. He is STILL the manager because of the aura he was able to sustain in the early 2000s. That philosophy is so damn flawed I just can't rant about it anymore because you can't get as stupid as that.

If he's a fan of tanking to get the manager fired I don't know why he doesn't just cheer for chelsea :dunno:
Not only does Moaninho have the track record of being a one season team, he was in the relegation or in danger of the relegation zone for 99.9% of his time this season. But guess what? Moainho, who I can't stand won his title with an overrated club in like less than 8 years and counting that it has taken Wenger to achieve the same goal (which he hasn't).

I'm actually going to reverse your question and ask all the Gooners here. If you enjoy the consistent 4th place and FA Cups, go be a fan of the modern Man United or Liverpool? Leave Arsenal to the fans that want to see the team have Laporte as the starting CB, Kondogbia in the CDM, and Suarez as the striker (who Arsenal could have gotten if he offered decent money to get him). Leave Arsenal to the fans that want to see the club go further than the ****in round of 16 and 4th place finishes. I want to be challenging for the ****in' title, how come we as a fanbase are HOPING the league is weak to win the ****in' title? This is a team that should be challenging every year when it gets to the end of March.

Last edited:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
What's more likely to happen...Arsenal finishing 3rd/4th or winning the EPL title this year? Of course the title is not truly lost, but I am in the group thinking "the same old, same old" will be the result at the end of the day. Fool me once, shame on me, fool me nine years in a row, shame on you. This same old reasoning will follow the same path as it has the last 8 seasons or so.

- Competition in 1st place for the first half of the season.
- Finish 2nd in a winnable CL group.
- Get destroyed in the first CL game.
- Inconsistencies in EPL season dropping to 2nd/3rd.
- Play great in the second leg of the CL coming a goal off, but bouncing out.
- Go on deep FA Cup run.
- Drop games against Swansea, Stoke, and current trash Chelsea to finish around 3rd to 4th depending on the EPL strength.
- Maybe win the FA Cup.

Even if Shakespeare was writing the script, nobody would want to come and see it, because it would be same re-hash aspect from the last seven seasons.

Again, I am all for Arsenal winning the title, but how can you convince me that this team is going to win the EPL Title? I want to see Arsenal in the best possible shape they can be in, and my conclusion is that firing the manager is the best scenario for this club. And the only way of firing a manger who's been with the club this long is by not achieving the goals he's been able to achieve the last 9 seasons. I don't hate Wenger, he's going to go down as one of the best managers ever and one of the most consistent as well. What he's been able to do has been amazing. BUT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. This team hasn't been going anywhere and it's not going to go anywhere with him in charge. We have 200 million pounds and we've had to deal with not only Giroud as the starting striker for last 4 seasons or so. We've had to deal with Mertesacker, Arteta, Flamini, Ramsey, and the goaltending. I included goalkeeping here is because Lloris went to a **** Spurs club. Not saying this because I am bias against them, they just had a **** club. Lloris would have probably went to Arsenal over Tottenham and now we're relying on the last legs of Cech who's going to be out the next 5-6 games. All have been just atrocious buys and or are players that NEED an upgrade on. Football has the most registered players in the world for a sport at 170 million, true that 90% of it isn't better than any of the players on Arsenal, but you're all going to honestly rebuttal to me that there wasn't a defender out there better than Mertesacker? Hell I think Arsenal could have went after Hummels if they TRULY wanted him here. Not only spending or dishing out 50 million for Mats, why not let Chambers play?

You're right that Wenger is probably going to stay since I have no idea how a person has this much job security, BUT if there is one way that Wenger can be fired, it would be by losing. In a sense, we should lose to make the team better in the long run. Also please you or any other Gooner here, explain and convince me where this team is going to go in the future? I see no future with this club as long as he's in charge, of course it's going to be a top 5-7 club, but the supporting case isn't there (and in some prime positions) to win the EPL title. Maybe if the stars align, they can win a fluke EPL, but this club needs a desperate shake up. The more likely scenario is that Sanchez and Oezil leave recycling the club again like what happened with RvP, Fabregas, and Nasri. Maybe if we are in year 4 of this, I would be more in the optimistic crowd, but not now, not after a decade of this garbage.

Watch this, he's spot on about everything. Monk, who's a really good manager gets fired after a season with an extremely poor club, but Wenger gets to keep going on. Wenger is still as manager NOT BECAUSE of any of the results the past five years. He is STILL the manager because of the aura he was able to sustain in the early 2000s. That philosophy is so damn flawed I just can't rant about it anymore because you can't get as stupid as that.

Not only does Moaninho have the track record of being a one season team, he was in the relegation or in danger of the relegation zone for 99.9% of his time this season. But guess what? Moainho, who I can't stand won his title with an overrated club in like less than 8 years and counting that it has taken Wenger to achieve the same goal (which he hasn't).

I'm actually going to reverse your question and ask all the Gooners here. If you enjoy the consistent 4th place and FA Cups, go be a fan of the modern Man United or Liverpool? Leave Arsenal to the fans that want to see the team have Laporte as the starting CB, Kondogbia in the CDM, and Suarez as the striker (who Arsenal could have gotten if he offered decent money to get him). Leave Arsenal to the fans that want to see the club go further than the ****in round of 16 and 4th place finishes. I want to be challenging for the ****in' title, how come we as a fanbase are HOPING the league is weak to win the ****in' title? This is a team that should be challenging every year when it gets to the end of March.

LOL

How many titles you won in the "modern" Man United era?

Arsenal going on 10+ years of the same ****, and you're out here trying to rename Arsenaling after other clubs.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
LOL

How many titles you won in the "modern" Man United era?

Arsenal going on 10+ years of the same ****, and you're out here trying to rename Arsenaling after other clubs.

Yeah thanks for agreeing with my viewpoint. Arsenal definitely has sucked the last 8 years or so, which is why I want a change. That's my whole argument. :laugh: And one of the main reasons is because the Gooner fanbase has settled for what has happened to Man United, mediocrity. Man United is right now a second rate club that getting into the CL is an accomplishment, let alone winning the FA Cup. It proves that spending absurd amount of money isn't a receipt for success, but not spending ANY amount of money is not a pathway for success either. But I do trust the Arsenal scouts more than the pathetic-ness I've seen with Man United and van Gaal targets. 200 million and not one CB, honestly you cannot make this **** up. :laugh:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Yeah thanks for agreeing with my viewpoint. Arsenal definitely has sucked the last 8 years or so, which is why I want a change. That's my whole argument. :laugh: And one of the main reasons is because the Gooner fanbase has settled for what has happened to Man United, mediocrity. Man United is right now a second rate club that getting into the CL is an accomplishment, let alone winning the FA Cup. It proves that spending absurd amount of money isn't a receipt for success, but not spending ANY amount of money is not a pathway for success either. But I do trust the Arsenal scouts more than the pathetic-ness I've seen with Man United and van Gaal targets. 200 million and not one CB, honestly you cannot make this **** up. :laugh:

How is United a 2nd rate club aiming for 4th when Arsenal have been doing this for 10+ years? You had a goddamn parade on the field a couple years back when you grabbed 4th on the last day of the season.

If you should learn anything from United, it would that removing a manager that has had full control of a club for decades isn't as easy as it looks, and doesn't guarantee a thing.

But somehow, in all of this, you root for a club that's been toiling in 4th for 10+ years, and you're concerned that you may end up like a club that has been doing it for the past 3 years.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
S E P H is a nutjob as I noted a few weeks ago (and I mean that in a good way). While I don't agree with his take of what he'd like to see happen, it's obvious Wenger is incapable of taking the steps it takes to really win the league. Even if they do win the league this season it'll be as much down to the other sides underachieving than it will down to what he's done. The sad thing for Arsenal supporters is that despite overrating guys like Ozil and Sanchez, the team does indeed have a good group of players to work with. Wenger simply hasn't brought in enough good players or been willing to go big after other players that would have improved the side. I've consistently questioned what Arsenal do if they offload Wenger as replacing him wouldn't be easy, but at some point I think you have to take that risk and go a different route.

Reaching 4th may be an arbitrary line in the sand, but as long as that's cutoff the for CL football it's obviously an acheivement. May not count for a lot, but it counts for something. People don't really think Wenger goes into the season aiming for 4th, do they?

The incessant complaining about it is pedantic.

Achievement or not that's beside the obvious point being made by the posts preceding yours. Fair enough for Wenger to defend himself as he should considering what's he's done at Arsenal. Still defending yourself with your record of consecutive fourth place finishes compared to the other English clubs while you're not winning the league for about twelve years is laughable. It's not as laughable as also defending yourself as being a penny-pincher when you consistently have always had money to spend yet decided to sit on your hands while your competitors spent and won the title.

It's impossible to maintain consistency with the lower teams being able to buy players who can come up with something from nothing and win matches. The lower teams are also getting better managers and better tactics.

While that's true, it's still very obvious and has been for over a year now that some of top sides haven't been performing at the level they should. United is just one example, City though are perhaps a more glaring example. The top sides in Europe wouldn't be as easily derailed by the clubs you've mentioned were they in the Premiership. A lot of this is down to management, something that all too often gets discounted on forums (not that you're doing this) as people make claims like "anyone could do what Pep's done with those players."

At the end of the day the level of the top clubs has fallen in the past couple of seasons and it's down more to them than it is just the rise of certain mid-table sides.

Who needs nuance when you can just make ridiculous quips all day?

The pot has spoken.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
S E P H is a nutjob as I noted a few weeks ago (and I mean that in a good way). While I don't agree with his take of what he'd like to see happen, it's obvious Wenger is incapable of taking the steps it takes to really win the league. Even if they do win the league this season it'll be as much down to the other sides underachieving than it will down to what he's done. The sad thing for Arsenal supporters is that despite overrating guys like Ozil and Sanchez, the team does indeed have a good group of players to work with. Wenger simply hasn't brought in enough good players or been willing to go big after other players that would have improved the side. I've consistently questioned what Arsenal do if they offload Wenger as replacing him wouldn't be easy, but at some point I think you have to take that risk and go a different route.

Achievement or not that's beside the obvious point being made by the posts preceding yours. Fair enough for Wenger to defend himself as he should considering what's he's done at Arsenal. Still defending yourself with your record of consecutive fourth place finishes compared to the other English clubs while you're not winning the league for about twelve years is laughable. It's not as laughable as also defending yourself as being a penny-pincher when you consistently have always had money to spend yet decided to sit on your hands while your competitors spent and won the title.

While that's true, it's still very obvious and has been for over a year now that some of top sides haven't been performing at the level they should. United is just one example, City though are perhaps a more glaring example. The top sides in Europe wouldn't be as easily derailed by the clubs you've mentioned were they in the Premiership. A lot of this is down to management, something that all too often gets discounted on forums (not that you're doing this) as people make claims like "anyone could do what Pep's done with those players."

At the end of the day the level of the top clubs has fallen in the past couple of seasons and it's down more to them than it is just the rise of certain mid-table sides.

The pot has spoken.

I'm surprised you've managed to pry yourself away from whatever over the top whining about Madrid you had planned for this portion of the day to grace us with your drive by witticisms.

Good on ya, habby boy.

Mes que un poster.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I'm surprised you've managed to pry yourself away from whatever over the top whining about Madrid you had planned for this portion of the day to grace us with your drive by witticisms.

Good on ya, habby boy.

Mes que un poster.

Still a sensitive Premiership fanboy I see. I'm not surprised you replied with a ridiculous drive by quip.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Still a sensitive Premiership fanboy I see. I'm not surprised you replied with a ridiculous drive by quip.

From what I can tell, that's the only method of speech you seem to understand. Must be why every other word out of your mouth is just asking for confrontation.

I mean, if you're calling me a fanboy I might just be one, because I've never seen anyone reach the level of fanboy that you have with Barca.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
From what I can tell, that's the only method of speech you seem to understand. Must be why every other word out of your mouth is just asking for confrontation.

I mean, if you're calling me a fanboy I might just be one, because I've never seen anyone reach the level of fanboy that you have with Barca.

Well you're blind on both counts. Pot speaking again btw. Nice work.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Well you're blind on both counts. Pot speaking again btw. Nice work.

I'm definitely blind to where this sense of superiority you think you possess comes from. Just don't see it, never have.

The other stuff? Nah, that's all spot on.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I'm definitely blind to where this sense of superiority you think you possess comes from. Just don't see it, never have.

The other stuff? Nah, that's all spot on.

Yeah, it's all wrong, just like your latest quip. Hypocrisy at it's finest as well. I'll let you indulge in this though as it's evidently your game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad