GWT: English Premier League: 2/6 - 2/7/2016

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yet the season tickets, that will not be renewed by those fans, will be bought by other people. I don't understand what you are trying to get at here.

Exactly, they are setting their prices at what the market value for them is. If that isn't the case, you'll see a lot of empty seats and lost revenue, in which case they will lower them.

It's unfortunate that this will price people out of going and that is never good to see, but attending a Liverpool game is not a right, it's a luxury. There are more affordable ways to watch and support them as a fan if you can't afford to attend, and more affordable soccer games to attend as well.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Yet the season tickets, that will not be renewed by those fans, will be bought by other people. I don't understand what you are trying to get at here.

There are people that would LOVE to pay L77 for seats at Anfield. That is the thing with clubs in any sport with season ticket waiting lists. You will immediately be replaced.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Not sure how anyone can rip the fans for this... protest in another way like what hunger strike?:laugh:

Anyway as much flack as Mignolet gets for the 1st goal against(didn't think it was that bad) but Sakho "defending" Defoe was hilarious.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
There are people that would LOVE to pay L77 for seats at Anfield. That is the thing with clubs in any sport with season ticket waiting lists. You will immediately be replaced.

Exactly their are probably thousands of people chomping at the bit to get those seats.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Not sure how anyone can rip the fans for this... protest in another way like what hunger strike?:laugh:

Anyway as much flack as Mignolet gets for the 1st goal against(didn't think it was that bad) but Sakho "defending" Defoe was hilarious.

No one is ripping the fans. Certainly, not the ones most affected by price hikes. I do think the idea of a walkout is strange, though.

"I'm going to pay and cheer...but only for 85% of the game, you criminals!"

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007

There are other ways to do it, then walking out in the middle of the game. Especially when those fans will be back next home game. Travel to wembley, attend the Europa games.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The same happens in the NFL. Now there are only 8 home games, but the teams have the season ticketholders. The Eagles have a 20 year waiting list for season tickets. This is what sports have turned in to today.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=325986.0

Some people will just never understand, or get it.

German fans are some of the most passionate and have boycotted and stood up for themselves many times with success. Klopp identifies with the issue as well.

Moving on.

Everyone here understands the emotion behind it. Not first hand, but we all know some will be priced out.

But emotion gets cast aside in business decisions like this. If the demand for the tickets wasn't so high, the club wouldn't get away with a raise. But it is.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
You can't lament not splashing £80 million in a window and then complain about ticket pricing.

Crystal Palace tickets might be £30 though, is that what the aim should be?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=325986.0

Some people will just never understand, or get it.

German fans are some of the most passionate and have boycotted and stood up for themselves many times with success. Klopp identifies with the issue as well.

Moving on.

I think people do "get it". You can perfectly understand the meaning behind something and why it is being done, but not think the action is a good idea. The organizers of the walkout I'm sure have the best of intentions and are completely sincere in their disgust at the price increases, but that doesn't mean that the walkout is helpful or will accomplish anything in any way.

I don't think people are ripping the fans, just that a walk out of paying fans is pointless and accomplishes nothing. People can not give the club money as a protest, the only one that works. If there aren't enough people doing that to make a difference, than the price increase is definitely within market value.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
No one is ripping the fans. Certainly, not the ones most affected by price hikes. I do think the idea of a walkout is strange, though.

"I'm going to pay and cheer...but only for 85% of the game, you criminals!"

Really? What would you call labeling them Xenophobic or patronizing?

There are other ways to do it, then walking out in the middle of the game. Especially when those fans will be back next home game. Travel to wembley, attend the Europa games.

There's only one other option and that is to not come at all to the game, which is unrealistic, considering most of those tickets are already paid for in advance.

The latter part is what makes them good fans.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Really? What would you call labeling them Xenophobic or patronizing?

There's only one other option and that is to not come at all to the game, which is unrealistic, considering most of those tickets are already paid for in advance.

The latter part is what makes them good fans.

I never called anyone xenophobic. And the ones I called patronizing/disinengenuous, were the supporters of means in the top seats, i.e., the ones not affected by the price hikes.

A qualifier I made pretty clear in my post...

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The injury to Vertonghen SHOULD hurt a team, but having guys like Wimmer/Trippier/Davies available to play, means Walker/Rose/Alderwierald are being rotated in and out so Spurs can always have a solid back 4. Really little difference, if any, to Rose/Walker/Trippier/Davies.

And since Wimmer has replaced Verts due to injury, Spurs have won both matches with clean sheets.

I think Spurs should be the favorites at this point to win the league. I think Leicester's going to slip up.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I never called anyone xenophobic. And the ones I called patronizing/disinengenuous, were the supporters of means in the top seats, i.e., the ones not affected by the price hikes.

A qualifier I made pretty clear in my post...

Never said you in particular did but someone did say that on here.

They are showing solidarity to their fellow fans... how else would you get the attention of the owners? A few people leaving isn't going to matter much but when the fan is united, the owner has no choice.

I think Spurs should be the favorites at this point to win the league. I think Leicester's going to slip up.

Leicester is winning it.:nod:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Never said you in particular did but someone did say that on here.

They are showing solidarity to their fellow fans... how else would you get the attention of the owners? A few people leaving isn't going to matter much but when the fan is united, the owner has no choice.

If ownership loses no money from this and the fans are back filling the stadium next week, please explain how the owner has no choice in the matter?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
If ownership loses no money from this and the fans are back filling the stadium next week, please explain how the owner has no choice in the matter?

If this ends up being an isolated incident, then yeah of course nothing comes of it but if Liverpool fans push the envelope and commit to this the owner will yield.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's pointless arguing. When you become a fan because a team is successful, has great history or a big name you don't have the same kind of connection to the club that the people who live there, they breath it day in and day out. It's more than just a business to them and I really am kind of starting to get why Ugmo rips into the "glory hunters" so much. They just don't get it. You can say you 'understand' but clearly when you are ragging on the fans who actually care about the club and have lived it their entire lives, and their parents lives, etc. you just don't get it.

As more and more money and modernization has begun with EPL and other leagues the fans have become more and more disconnected from the club because a lot of them are like a few of the "Liverpool fans" who have been posting in this topic. "It's a business" "supply and demand" "they can suck it up" "crappy fans deserve crappy results". Give your head a shake.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I don't really understand why people are moaning about the protest, they felt it was an effective message. The "You've bought your ticket, leaving isn't teaching them anything" don't really make sense since the tickets were almost certainly bought before the price increases were announced and were not subject to the price increases. The idea is to send the message that they won't take it lying down.

Will it be effective? Who knows. The fact is that the product on the pitch is garbage, and complaining about increases when there are no signs of improvement or significant investment is totally right. The problem is that there will likely be enough idiots willing to pay up anyway.

You can't lament not splashing £80 million in a window and then complain about ticket pricing

What? That statement makes absolutely no sense at all.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
It's pointless arguing. When you become a fan because a team is successful, has great history or a big name you don't have the same kind of connection to the club that the people who live there, they breath it day in and day out. It's more than just a business to them and I really am kind of starting to get why Ugmo rips into the "glory hunters" so much. They just don't get it. You can say you 'understand' but clearly when you are ragging on the fans who actually care about the club and have lived it their entire lives, and their parents lives, etc. you just don't get it.

As more and more money and modernization has begun with EPL and other leagues the fans have become more and more disconnected from the club because a lot of them are like a few of the "Liverpool fans" who have been posting in this topic. "It's a business" "supply and demand" "they can suck it up" "crappy fans deserve crappy results". Give your head a shake.

Whatever dude. You can put as many quotation marks around Liverpool fans as you want, you, nor anyone else, has a monopoly over what it means to be a supporter.

Don't break an ankle hopping off your stallion.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Pretty self-explanatory.

Yes, but to say that you shouldn't complain about ticket price increases when the club aren't spending money in the transfer market is just stupid logic. I can understand saying that they shouldn't complain if the club had just went out and spent £80m, but as things stand they are perfectly entitled to be feeling gouged.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The increase is worth only two million to FSG, but the fans are being gouged. There is hardly any defense of it, felt disgusted when I found that out.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Yes, but to say that you shouldn't complain about ticket price increases when the club aren't spending money in the transfer market is just stupid logic.

Not when they aren't spending, no. Not what I meant. This puts ownership in a position of having to spend now, I think. Assuming they do, you can't also complain about a corresponding price hike.

My wording may not have been clear.

This is hardly a question specific to football, though the dynamics are certainly different. It's the same reason going to a Rangers game is NYC is miles from a Panthers game at Sunrise. It applies to any team with ambition. I don't know why people are continually surprised.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad