Enforcers who weren't good fighters?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Steve McKenna. Didn't think much of Kypreos or Churla either.

Edit: Oh yeah. Roman Ndur was probably a worse fighter than anybody mentioned in this thread. Don't know if he counts as an enforcer, but he sure fought a lot of those in his cup of coffee in this league.

Last edited:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I have never seen zenon konopka win a fight. With all his Pims one would think he would be better.
He kinda holds on . I think his arms must be shorter than most. At least when it comes to picking up a tab. Seriously when has he pounded his opponent?

Konopka's not trying to win, he's trying to not take damage. Let's not and say I did guy. Just trying to make enough cash in the NHL to fund his business ventures. He's basically like a union dude making big money punching a clock and doing just enough to not get fired.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Konopka's not trying to win, he's trying to not take damage. Let's not and say I did guy. Just trying to make enough cash in the NHL to fund his business ventures. He's basically like a union dude making big money punching a clock and doing just enough to not get fired.

I am a union dude as you say , what I do and where I am from are in my screen name if you need to know. I haver never punched a clock, and the boys bring IT every day when it comes to production.
In closing if konopka punched a clock at least he would be punching something/ someone.

Mr Atoz*

Silas Barnaby has to be #1 all time.

Eric Boulton, Camshaft Janssen.

Hollweg couldn't fight. But he couldn't do anything else in hockey but hit.

Purinton was a good fighter. He just happened to also cheat.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I am a union dude as you say , what I do and where I am from are in my screen name if you need to know. I haver never punched a clock, and the boys bring IT every day when it comes to production.
In closing if konopka punched a clock at least he would be punching something/ someone.

Didn't mean all union guys are like that. Generally had good experiences in all my dealings with unionized electrical workers.

Was actually thinking of a friend of mine's father (union guy), who went to a warehouse, punched in, found a corner and took a three hour nap to start his shift for 40 years. Probably painted with too broad a brush, so I apologize.

flyersfan28

Aug 17, 2013
Riley Cote's another good one but I will say his unwillingness to ever fight a defensive fight supplied some great bouts over his career.

Tom Sestito is probably the best example of a current player.

cote was amazing he have some good win over mcgrattan shelley... he loss a lot but every of his fight was great.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Did Post #35 say Ray? Rob Ray? Yeah, I don't think so. He dropped them with everyone and there weren't a lot of guys that I would say regularly beat Tie Domi, but he was one of them. Maybe the only one. Ray does not belong in this discussion at all. At all.

I agree with Steve McKenna here. The Pens picked him up right after Mario's comeback in 2000. I personally though they were better off had Mario been an enforcer. Seriously, Mario didn't have a big fight card, but I take him over McKenna anyday in a fight.

I'll throw in a name like Hal Gill. Alright, he was never a team's enforcer. But come on, for a guy who was 6'7" he couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag. He lost some battles to some guys that were half his size. I can't recall how many times he ended up underneath the player he was fighting. You would think when he and Chara squared off it would be a classic fight but each time Chara dropped him like a stone - and quick too. How someone so big could be such a terrible fighter is beyond me.

bobbyp6565

4th Line Goon
Sep 8, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Did Post #35 say Ray? Rob Ray? Yeah, I don't think so. He dropped them with everyone and there weren't a lot of guys that I would say regularly beat Tie Domi, but he was one of them. Maybe the only one. Ray does not belong in this discussion at all. At all.

Don't get me wrong - I was a HUGE Rob Ray fan, hence the reason I have his game jersey, but until the last few years of his career, he was not very good - entertaining and definitely willing, just not very good. His first few years in the league he lost over twice as much as he won and he lost more than he won for his career. I'll agree he did have Domi's number, but every fighter seemed to have that one guy they just couldn't beat - for Domi it was Ray.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Steve McKenna. Didn't think much of Kypreos or Churla either.

Edit: Oh yeah. Roman Ndur was probably a worse fighter than anybody mentioned in this thread. Don't know if he counts as an enforcer, but he sure fought a lot of those in his cup of coffee in this league.

churla could fight.

was over matched a lot cause he as smaller then other goons

Mr Atoz*

Don't get me wrong - I was a HUGE Rob Ray fan, hence the reason I have his game jersey, but until the last few years of his career, he was not very good - entertaining and definitely willing, just not very good. His first few years in the league he lost over twice as much as he won and he lost more than he won for his career. I'll agree he did have Domi's number, but every fighter seemed to have that one guy they just couldn't beat - for Domi it was Ray.

Ray's 'fighting' talent was improved 200% by losing his jersey. It's like one boxer fighting without gloves.

bobbyp6565

4th Line Goon
Sep 8, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Ray's 'fighting' talent was improved 200% by losing his jersey. It's like one boxer fighting without gloves.

But he still lost more than twice as much as he won in that era even when he shed everything - later in his career, when he used this set-up to keep his jersey tied down both front and back, he did much better (experience might have played a small factor in that success as well :D)

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada

Ray might have won the series against Domi but Domi beat Ray on more than one occasion. The epic one being the fight where Ray got jersey'd. Kind of ironic , looked good on him.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
lol no way, a player who can win vs mcgrattan and shelley is not terrible

Didn't you claim that even the best enforcers occasionally lose fights? Just because Riley Cote handled McGrattan once does not necessarily mean that he was a good fighter. Cote lost the majority of his fights, and he was Donald Brashear's personal punching-bag.

Last edited:

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Aside from winning a fight with Probert, I think Chris Tamer's fight report card has a lot of losses and draws.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad