End of the season Press Conference: Thursday 12:00 PST

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Not sure if this is surprising or not. Aquilini strikes me as a guy ruled by his emotions, so if he's going to fire someone, I'd think he'd do it quite quickly. But he may wait to have his exit interviews, I guess.

Aquilini let Nonis do an end of year presser in 2008 and fired him after that. That was the one where Nonis was talking about trying to sign Fabian Brunnstrom for next season to help the offense. That said, I would be quite surprised if MG gets fired.

I would only be mildly surprised if AV becomes the fall guy though. I think the problems were mostly personnel, not AV, but the special teams numbers were pretty atrocious this season and coaching usually gets the blame for that. I think AV is a good NHL coach, you have to be to win a Jack Adams, but I think that he isn't getting the best results possible out of this group anymore. I don't think the team has quit on him, I just think it's a complacency thing. These guys have heard it all before and have gotten too comfortable.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
What you mean is that Gilman is better at making his PR approve responses sound more genuine.

Not really, have you listened to a gilman interview? If you believe his pr approved responses include painting the canucks organisation in a much less well off/problem free picture then gillis does, then perhaps you may feel that way.

I mean he is not going to go off the map and tell us we need to fold the franchise but at least he admits to problems the canucks have and issues facing the organisation.

Last edited:

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
"Everybody is very disapointed with the way our season ended. Right now, we need to take a step back and evaulate the season."

"We still had a very good year and won our division. We're obviously disapointed in the way things ended, but this is still a very good team."

"Roberto is a top tier goaltender and we're not just going to give him away. We need to make the right trade for our organization."

"Daniel and Henrik are two of the most consistent offensive players in the League and two very good people. We want them to play in Vancouver for a long time."

"Ryan had a very tough year in terms of his health, and we believe he'll be come back and be better next season."

"We feel like we have some young players ready to step in and play."

"Obviously, our season ended sooner than we wanted it to. We'll evalulate the performance of the entire organization, including myself. But Alain Vigneault didn't suddenly become a bad coach."

There, just saved you guys from having to tune in.

Literally THIS

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
I just listened 2 the whole press conference from last year. Honestly some decent tidbits that I forgot about.

I do find it funny how he mentioned how much the third and fourth line improved.

And this year it's just as bad if not worse.

Also he mentioned young players moving up, they kinda did that with corrado, that's about it.

To be fair, most of the Canucks fans were high on the prospect of not rotating Glass, Oreskovich, Tambellini and Hodgson on the fourth line like we did back in 2011. Having a fourth line of Weise, Lapierre and a rotating door of Volpatti (before waivers) and potentially Pinnizotto and Kassian rotating in and out (with Booth taking Kassian's spot on the Top 9) was much stronger than what we saw in the past. Unfortunately, it didn't play out as well as it projected on paper.

As for the younger players, with the shortened season its a lot more difficult to fit younger players with each game being that much more important; it's a miracle we even played Corrado into the playoffs. Also, I would argue that Kassian took a good step forward in his development this year, and so did Weise and Schroeder to an extent.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I just listened 2 the whole press conference from last year. Honestly some decent tidbits that I forgot about.

I do find it funny how he mentioned how much the third and fourth line improved.

And this year it's just as bad if not worse.

Also he mentioned young players moving up, they kinda did that with corrado, that's about it.

Booth and Schroeder would have made the depth much better by the time everything got shuffled. That's 2/3s of a line.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
"Everybody is very disapointed with the way our season ended. Right now, we need to take a step back and evaulate the season."

"We still had a very good year and won our division. We're obviously disapointed in the way things ended, but this is still a very good team."

"Roberto is a top tier goaltender and we're not just going to give him away. We need to make the right trade for our organization."

"Daniel and Henrik are two of the most consistent offensive players in the League and two very good people. We want them to play in Vancouver for a long time."

"Ryan had a very tough year in terms of his health, and we believe he'll be come back and be better next season."

"We feel like we have some young players ready to step in and play."

"Obviously, our season ended sooner than we wanted it to. We'll evalulate the performance of the entire organization, including myself. But Alain Vigneault didn't suddenly become a bad coach."

There, just saved you guys from having to tune in.

That's pretty much bang on. I read all of that in MG's voice too.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Not really, have you listened to a gilman interview? If you believe his pr approved responses include painting the canucks organisation in a much less well off/problem free picture then gillis does, then perhaps you may feel that way.

I mean he is not going to go off the map and tell us we need to fold the franchise but at least he admits to problems the canucks have and issues facing the organisation.

Ultimately there's very little difference between Gilman and Gillis. I don't think that's the case with most GM - AGM relationships but in this case these two really are on the same page about pretty much everything.

It's the 'backup' thing all over again, this time with the GM. If someone is not happy with what Gillis has done then the last person they should be suggesting is Gilman.

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
I'm not sure if the rules have been changed in the current CBA, but teams that have been eliminated in the playoffs, or didn't make the playoffs, have made trades in the past. The Flyers come to mind (Cechmanek and Handzus) having made trades while the playoffs were still going.

These players however can not play in the playoffs (and why you never see playoff teams making trades), so it's basically for the following year.

Having said that, I very much doubt that Luongo gets moved this quickly after they've been eliminated. It would definitely limit options for Gillis, unless they had a deal in place already (ie. like an agreement with the Flyers or another non-playoff team).

Again, no idea if this has been changed in the current CBA, but trades during the playoffs have been made in the past among eliminated or non-playoff teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
I'm confused.

People gave Gillis a lot of flak for speaking his mind about Hodgson after wanting a straight answer for trading their supposed Moses.

Many of the same people also gave Gillis a lot of flak for his lawyerese double talk to the media scrum.

Something tells me the thread will be filled with the cries and moans of Canucks fans regardless of what Gillis says.

Yeah pretty much this.

Gillis mouths the usual 'not be swayed by emotion' platitudes; many complaints about no emotion, not taking responsibility, or blaming external factors.

Gillis speaks frankly; many complaints about him 'throwing AV/Sedins/Lu/whoever under a bus'/'lacking class'/'being disrespectful'.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Unfortunately I won't be able to see it live, but I suspect he will be spending a lot of time saying absolutely nothing. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I'm not sure if the rules have been changed in the current CBA, but teams that have been eliminated in the playoffs, or didn't make the playoffs, have made trades in the past. The Flyers come to mind (Cechmanek and Handzus) having made trades while the playoffs were still going.

These players however can not play in the playoffs (and why you never see playoff teams making trades), so it's basically for the following year.

Having said that, I very much doubt that Luongo gets moved this quickly after they've been eliminated. It would definitely limit options for Gillis, unless they had a deal in place already (ie. like an agreement with the Flyers or another non-playoff team).

Again, no idea if this has been changed in the current CBA, but trades during the playoffs have been made in the past among eliminated or non-playoff teams.

I was referring to the probability of there being no deal. He can't announce a deal that doesn't exist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad