End of the season Press Conference: Thursday 12:00 PST

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Iain MacIntyre speculated about this very thing earlier this week on TEAM 1040. Basically he said he thought being a GM was something Gillis wanted to try because he had a bunch of pet ideas, but that he's tried a lot of them already. Gillis has already made his money as an agent, and Mac just didn't think he was wedded to being an NHL GM.

I don't think I buy it, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Oh gawd, Macintyre.

Anyways, I think the opposite might be true - he's a competitive guy so getting so close despite trying all his 'ideas' would just give him that taste that would lock him into continuing.

And if he's already made his money, what else can he do that will be this challenging and stimulating?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
This-is-gonna-be-good.gif

47778-5tKcKgif-t913.gif

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
As long as something drastic happens, I'll be okay.

If it's just "*mumblemumble*...well, we tried...*mumblemumble*...always next year...*mumblemumble*...this core is good enough as is."

Then I'll be mad.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
I'm confused.

People gave Gillis a lot of flak for speaking his mind about Hodgson after wanting a straight answer for trading their supposed Moses.

Many of the same people also gave Gillis a lot of flak for his lawyerese double talk to the media scrum.

Something tells me the thread will be filled with the cries and moans of Canucks fans regardless of what Gillis says.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He'll sweat, say next to nothing and answer some questions and people will criticize him for not laying out his plans for the next season.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
On AV, I could see him either defending AV or at the very worst be non-committal. I don't see him firing AV 2 days after a playoff exit. He's been very vocal in shooting down any criticism of AV this season.

Hopefully he takes some responsibility for not providing the personnel to get the job done this year. I don't expect anything as remotely interesting as last year, when he threw Hodgson under the bus with his 'built him up into something we could trade' comment.

He probably won't show his hand either about changes to the roster for next year. Probably more chatter about how he likes what's coming up from the farm.

Goaltending, he will probably say the usual about the trade front situation, and on Schneider's performance he will probably defend him by saying that he's been the MVP all season. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 'why didn't you trade Schneider instead?' question thrown in.

We'll probably get an AHL affiliate question too, to which he will give the same response about wanting to find a market close to Vancouver.

Ticket sales/prices he'll brush off as a non-issue, and suck up to the fans.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
wondering if any of these gems from last year get repeated, and whether any reporters will ask follow-ups if there's duplication:

http://canuckshockeyblog.com/?p=10392

Gillis: “I think we need to get younger, I think we need to get bigger and stronger.â€

Gillis says he’s not going to give up on Mason Raymond, but he needs to take a step forward.

Gillis has not talked to his players so it’s too early to suggest who will go and who will stay.

Gillis on Luongo: “If you take a look at his body of work, you’ll see that he’s an elite-level goaltender. We’ve got a ton of confidence in Roberto.â€

Gillis: “I have every bit of confidence in Alain [Vigneault].†… “Re-evaluation starts with me first. I’d like to be here.â€

Gillis says the Canucks won’t change their style of play despite the success of defensive teams this postseason.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
wondering if any of these gems from last year get repeated, and whether any reporters will ask follow-ups if there's duplication

Undoubtedly. I also think we may see some come true. I think the pressure is off on being a heavy weight contender so we can afford to do a few of these.

Gillis: “I think we need to get younger, I think we need to get bigger and stronger.”

Playing more youth and living with the mistakes is now a viable option.

Gillis says he’s not going to give up on Mason Raymond, but he needs to take a step forward

He's gone IMHO.

Gillis has not talked to his players so it’s too early to suggest who will go and who will stay.

This should be true. Need to get a feel for what the players think went wrong. See who is happy and who wants to move. Some guys might be open to waiving NTCs.

Gillis on Luongo: “If you take a look at his body of work, you’ll see that he’s an elite-level goaltender. We’ve got a ton of confidence in Roberto.”

we'll he needs to talk that up.

Gillis: “I have every bit of confidence in Alain [Vigneault].” …

He's under contract and we need a replacement. don't burn that bridge. Probably won't be glowing but non-commital.

“Re-evaluation starts with me first. "

For sure.

Gillis says the Canucks won’t change their style of play despite the success of defensive teams this postseason

What style of play? I hope to hell they get an identity. If he suggests they will look to change it then expect a new coach no matter what he says about AV. That's the clue he's looking.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Sportsnet is reporting sources as saying that there won't be any personnel decisions announced tomorrow.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
''first of all I'd like to thank Dave Nonis and Brian Burke for Daniel and henrik Sedin, Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Edler, Bieksa, Luongo, Schneider, and AV, they are the reason I am still employed and will not be fired. My work as GM has not be adequate, my trades have been horrible and I have failed to give this core the right support and secondary scoring needed to win a cup. I had a great coach handed to me that I have used for 5 seasons, two outstanding goalies, a great top line and dominant second line center and a strong defence to build around and adjust. It is my fault that this team spent 10 million on goaltending when only one can play at a time, it is my fault that the Ballard, Booth, and hodgson trades have hurt this team. Therefore, I am hear bye announcing my resignation, please accept this apology and admission of failure''

Is what I hope to hear from Michael D Gillis.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Should not be very entertaining at all. Don't care what anyone has to say at this point.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Sportsnet is reporting sources as saying that there won't be any personnel decisions announced tomorrow.

Not sure if this is surprising or not. Aquilini strikes me as a guy ruled by his emotions, so if he's going to fire someone, I'd think he'd do it quite quickly. But he may wait to have his exit interviews, I guess.

''first of all I'd like to thank Dave Nonis and Brian Burke for Daniel and henrik Sedin, Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Edler, Bieksa, Luongo, Schneider, and AV, they are the reason I am still employed and will not be fired. My work as GM has not be adequate, my trades have been horrible and I have failed to give this core the right support and secondary scoring needed to win a cup. I had a great coach handed to me that I have used for 5 seasons, two outstanding goalies, a great top line and dominant second line center and a strong defence to build around and adjust. It is my fault that this team spent 10 million on goaltending when only one can play at a time, it is my fault that the Ballard, Booth, and hodgson trades have hurt this team. Therefore, I am hear bye announcing my resignation, please accept this apology and admission of failure''

Is what I hope to hear from Michael D Gillis.

I hope you have a good book.

I think we'll see a lot of lawyer speak from Gillis - at this stage, I don't think his own job is 100% guaranteed, so there won't be much discussion of "the future" at this point, IMO.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Can we just get gilman to do the season end presser.

Instead of giving the company answers I think fans want to hear non robotic responses, when gilman is interviewed you can tell its how he really feels, and its his thoughts and opinions not just as an assistant gm but also as a hockey fan. With gillis you can tell he was a damn good lawyer, makes sure not to say anything damning for the organisation.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Can we just get gilman to do the season end presser.

Instead of giving the company answers I think fans want to hear non robotic responses, when gilman is interviewed you can tell its how he really feels, and its his thoughts and opinions not just as an assistant gm but also as a hockey fan. With gillis you can tell he was a damn good lawyer, makes sure not to say anything damning for the organisation.

What you mean is that Gilman is better at making his PR approve responses sound more genuine.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I just listened 2 the whole press conference from last year. Honestly some decent tidbits that I forgot about.

I do find it funny how he mentioned how much the third and fourth line improved.

And this year it's just as bad if not worse.

Also he mentioned young players moving up, they kinda did that with corrado, that's about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad