End of the season Press Conference: Thursday 12:00 PST

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Matthew Sekeres ‏@mattsekeres 17m

GM Mike Gillis to appear at #Canucks press conference tomorrow. No mention of head coach Alain Vigneault.

MOD EDIT SUMMARY THING:

- Going to review every thorough evaluation on coach and starting with himself.
- Losing biggest disappointment.
- Strange series to evaluate.
- Thought it was too fairly even matched teams and didn't score enough goals.
- Thought Sharks PP was dominant
- Lockout played a factor into making changes, blames significant injuries on depth.
- Takes blame for not adding more pieces for AV
- Believes the landscape has changed from offensively powered, to a more gritty style of playoffs.
- Believes that there are a significant changes needed to be made on roster.
- Thinks the game has changed ever since Boston won the cup.
- Doesn't know if Schneider should have started 3 or 4 believes Schneider was our MVP in the season.
- AV made the call on Schneider, believes that Cory was put in a tough spot without much time to prepare. However, using last 3 years as example saying he's an elite goalie.
- Unlikely Luongo will be back right from MG's mouth
- Defending AV (****), plan will be brought towards ownership end of this week, if ownership changes it he'll accept it.
- Believes they need to get younger.
- Admits this season was terrible for the Canucks
- Hopes that skilled teams like CHI and DET will still be able to win
- Believes the Lockout affected Luongo deal, believes there will be a greater opportunity for their players (packaged deal???)
- Conscious of soft market on tickets.
- Some decisions on existing players will be extremely difficult.
- Not looking to ask any players who have a NTC to be moved.
- Draft Philosophy of taking a goalie and projection of drafted players stepping in 3 or 4 years down the road
- May need to stop trading picks since when we were chasing the cup.
- Believes picking up an AHL team will really helpful for development of younger players.
- Not sure if they're going to use buyouts or not yet.
- Sounds more and more like AV will be back....just because we go swept 4 games doesn't mean we are going to make
- Not sure about Mason Raymond being back
- Thought Jordan played well, evaluation will also be on him as well.
- Need to reinvent our identity.
- Needs to supplement our core group
- Cap does not reflect how much the Canucks spend (3 - 5% bump in season tickets.)
- Can you make the bold moves? We signed offered sheets, made trades every year, signing FA's etc etc. Been prepared to act on every bold moves but you do it with the understanding of every deal not working out.
- Says Media from other cities are what gives officials ideas of our team.
- Says Media from Vancouver it's up to them to report it. Not the team's.
- Schroeder may require surgery. Other players maybe fine by the end of today or tomorrow
- Has not talked to AV since being eliminated.
- Feels like he is a part of the failure, went through behind a lot of stuff behind the scenes. Most challenging year in his tenure here see.
- Doesn't believe they can get the AHL team here.

in case you all miss this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I hope the media asks all the hard questions, like the oilers media did with lowe.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
I hope the media asks all the hard questions, like the oilers media did with lowe.

This.

In the past, the Vanouver media has traditionally given Gillis a pretty easy ride. After this most embarrassment, the media better hold him accountable.

I swear, if I hear Gillis mutter "it's all part of the process" one time tomorrow, I will lose my mind.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
"Everybody is very disapointed with the way our season ended. Right now, we need to take a step back and evaulate the season."

"We still had a very good year and won our division. We're obviously disapointed in the way things ended, but this is still a very good team."

"Roberto is a top tier goaltender and we're not just going to give him away. We need to make the right trade for our organization."

"Daniel and Henrik are two of the most consistent offensive players in the League and two very good people. We want them to play in Vancouver for a long time."

"Ryan had a very tough year in terms of his health, and we believe he'll be come back and be better next season."

"We feel like we have some young players ready to step in and play."

"Obviously, our season ended sooner than we wanted it to. We'll evalulate the performance of the entire organization, including myself. But Alain Vigneault didn't suddenly become a bad coach."

There, just saved you guys from having to tune in.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
"Everybody is very disapointed with the way our season ended. Right now, we need to take a step back and evaulate the season."

"We still had a very good year and won our division. We're obviously disapointed in the way things ended, but this is still a very good team."

"Roberto is a top tier goaltender and we're not just going to give him away. We need to make the right trade for our organization."

"Daniel and Henrik are two of the most consistent offensive players in the League and two very good people. We want them to play in Vancouver for a long time."

"Ryan had a very tough year in terms of his health, and we believe he'll be come back and be better next season."

"We feel like we have some young players ready to step in and play."

"Obviously, our season ended sooner than we wanted it to. We'll evalulate the performance of the entire organization, including myself. But Alain Vigneault didn't suddenly become a bad coach."

There, just saved you guys from having to tune in.

Replace every person's name with "the player" and you nailed it.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
It's true AV wasn't there, but his future was being evaluated at the time.

I think we can all predict what will be said here. Here's roughly what I think will be said.

On the team going forward: 'We aren't going to make any emotional decisions, we're going to take a couple weeks to evaluate what happened.'

On the refs screwjob: 'No comment on the officiating. PK needs to be better.'

On Schneider: 'We're going to take some time to evaluate what happened here. He wasn't playing injured'

On Luongo: 'He played well for us, he's a great goaltender.'

On Sedins: 'They battled hard, didn't get the results they were looking for.' On their emotional outburst: 'Heat of the moment, frustrated.'

On lack of offense: 'PP wasn't effective.'

On AV, coaching staff: 'We're going to sit down over the next couple weeks and evaluate what happened this season. We've got plenty of time before the draft, no need to make decisions immediately after an emotional loss.'

Essentially, he's going to give us nothing but vagueness. He isn't going to show people his hand.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
This.

In the past, the Vanouver media has traditionally given Gillis a pretty easy ride. After this most embarrassment, the media better hold him accountable.

I swear, if I hear Gillis mutter "it's all part of the process" one time tomorrow, I will lose my mind.

The majority of media who cover to Canucks have been pretty notorious for cuddling up to all the past GMs for a lot longer then the Gillis era. Most have always avoided asking the hard questions for fear of suffering any fallout. It will be interesting to see if the trend continues or if some of those media guys who follow the team grow a set and do their jobs.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Is this going to be on sports net pacific or live stream and posted on Canucks.com? Sucks at noon I work then

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Gillis will shock us all and resign as GM

Last act as GM is to give AV a 10 year extension as the highest paid coach in the league with a 15 million bonus if he gets fired at any point.:sarcasm:

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
This gunna be good

popcorn-o.gif

YouppiKiYay

Jul 3, 2011
Bellingham, WA
Gillis will shock us all and resign as GM

Iain MacIntyre speculated about this very thing earlier this week on TEAM 1040. Basically he said he thought being a GM was something Gillis wanted to try because he had a bunch of pet ideas, but that he's tried a lot of them already. Gillis has already made his money as an agent, and Mac just didn't think he was wedded to being an NHL GM.

I don't think I buy it, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad