End of Season Pressers (Monday May 15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
As we roll into the inevitable announcement in front of the long weekend to kill the immediate backlash, I’m wondering if Dubas decided to give the board a little taste of what it feels like to twist in the wind.

And while that might bug me as a fan, it makes me think the kid is learning how to negotiate. I don’t buy that he gave up leverage by saying he wouldn’t pop up somewhere else. If he said that the whole city would have supported dumping him. This was a tight, subtle move.

End of the day, he’s probably gone, but he’s developing the skills that will make him a great GM.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
This is a serious question:

How is this job so tough mentally for Dubas and his family?

Was it the fact that he went into this year without a contract?

Are idiot fans outside his home/condo with picket signs telling him he sucks?

Are fans harassing his wife? (highly doubt it).

His kids are very small and they dont go to school...so bullying at school is out of the question.

Is the media tough on him thats taking a mental toll?

The guy was given a GM position over Lou f*ucking Lamoriello!

There are only 32 positions for this job.

What's different this year than last year?

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
What is this burnout talk? Geez, I've never heard this kind of talk coming from a GM at this stage in their career. My gosh, so much drama over a f**cking sport. You'd think Dubas has been working for the Blackhawks over the past several years.

I like Dubas (not all his moves, calm down) but if you can't handle the "heat"? Not very encouraging so much woe is me talk coming from the Dubas camp.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

His kids are very small and they dont go to school...so bullying at school is out of the question.

The only difference from this year to last year is one more season of underperforming Leafs.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
What is this burnout talk? Geez, I've never heard this kind of talk coming from a GM at this stage in their career. My gosh, so much drama over a f**cking sport. You'd think Dubas has been working for the Blackhawks over the past several years.

I like Dubas (not all his moves, calm down) but if you can't handle the "heat"? Not very encouraging so much woe is me talk coming from the Dubas camp.

Dubas never said anything about burnout. He said the year was tough on his family, not him.

Reactions: capfit9

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
As we roll into the inevitable announcement in front of the long weekend to kill the immediate backlash, I’m wondering if Dubas decided to give the board a little taste of what it feels like to twist in the wind.

And while that might bug me as a fan, it makes me think the kid is learning how to negotiate. I don’t buy that he gave up leverage by saying he wouldn’t pop up somewhere else. If he said that the whole city would have supported dumping him. This was a tight, subtle move.

End of the day, he’s probably gone, but he’s developing the skills that will make him a great GM.
It's really cool that our training wheels GM decided to broadcast to the world that he can't handle the pressures of the job. Most franchises hire GMs who are capable of tough negotiations, but not us! We hired a guy who took five years to learn how to hold up a franchise after putting it in a terrible position. Wow, just brilliant stuff!

Maybe in twenty years, Kyle will be able to not be bent over by NHL agents. They're the ones who want him back as GM the most.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
EVERYONE says he knows what hes in for. Burke knew, Nonis, Ferguson JR, etc etc. they all got overwhelmed. they all left with pissy press conferences where they did not like the media in this town.
One thing those GM’s all had in common is they lost. Any GM that produces a cup winning team in Toronto will be immortalized . I betting they knew how rough it would be but thought the reward was worth the risk until it wasn’t

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Lou, in his old age, still has run circles around Kyle since he left. It's funny watching people who hate Lou pick particular deals to insult and try to ignore the fact that he's won way more rounds than Kyle has with much less talent.

It's okay. One day we'll have a grown-up GM who knows how to do his job and doesn't complain about all the pressures. It might be a while, but it'll happen.

And when it does, The Dubas Years (TM) will go down as one of the biggest wastes of a window in hockey history.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Back to back trips to the ECF and losing to the eventual Cup winner (and being their toughest opponent each time). I wish we had been 'destroyed' like that!
imagine that, a guy in his eighties still chugging along, no need to consult with his wife.......

Reactions: CincoHolio

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
the more i have thought about this over the past couple days i have become very turned off of how his family was brought up. it is conventional to bring up the - family decision stuff and we will talk it over and do what is best, but that is also in the event of a move.

the way it was worded is he crafted it as to save face atleast somewhere.. yeah i don't like how he did it.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Lou, in his old age, still has run circles around Kyle since he left. It's funny watching people who hate Lou pick particular deals to insult and try to ignore the fact that he's won way more rounds than Kyle has with much less talent.

It's okay. One day we'll have a grown-up GM who knows how to do his job and doesn't complain about all the pressures. It might be a while, but it'll happen.

And when it does, The Dubas Years (TM) will go down as one of the biggest wastes of a window in hockey history.
the great Al Davis "just win baby..........."

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I don't know why it makes it unprofessional because they are not doing it on your or other peoples time. There's probably a lot of things in motion. We're not even a week into the off-season.
Feel like people would be a lot more prickly if the roles were reversed.

It's no doubt frustrating as a fan but I rather they do their due diligence.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If they offered him an extension after just 1 series vicotry, that doesn’t sit well with me. Yes, do your due diligence, evaluate everything before giving out extensions. One series victory is not a success. Maybe if this was 2019.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
It's really cool that our training wheels GM decided to broadcast to the world that he can't handle the pressures of the job. Most franchises hire GMs who are capable of tough negotiations, but not us! We hired a guy who took five years to learn how to hold up a franchise after putting it in a terrible position. Wow, just brilliant stuff!

Maybe in twenty years, Kyle will be able to not be bent over by NHL agents. They're the ones who want him back as GM the most.
For those of us who've been around a long time, it's hard to imagine we could be as dysfunctional as during the Harold era, or even the Stavros era, or the Quinn vs. Dryden era, or the Burke won't use the rules to help the Leafs era....

Maybe we all need paper bags.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Dubas never said anything about burnout. He said the year was tough on his family, not him.
Every media outlet has been saying this for the past week. That narrative has to come from somewhere.

What has been tough on his family? The Leafs season? LOL What are we talking about here?

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
I don't know why it makes it unprofessional because they are not doing it on your or other peoples time. There's probably a lot of things in motion. We're not even a week into the off-season.
What will you make of it if its status quo ?

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004

I would guess online social media type sources. Who knows, he keeps it vague so he doesn't have to substantiate anything. He admitted he's emotional and honestly came off as weak during this closing press conference. No wonder, he's been a failure. Somebody up the food chain in the ownership group must want to keep him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad