End of season press conference - April 9, 4:30pm

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
He already had a NTC (partial), what happened is that NTC was changed to NMC. If I was cynical (and I am) I would say he asked for that to avoid getting Subban'ed before his NMC kick in.

...You know when you set precedent, peoples adapt.

Definitely was the reason. Doesnt seem like something a guy who completely trusted MB and the plan or lack there of to me.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Few thoughts about yesterday's presser. Nothing surprising....well yeah kind of, I think he surpassed himself. Saying twice that we could comeback with the same lineup....that's unheard of. Yes, we all know we won't, UFA's and there are always some modifications...but just to heard him say that.....he just surpassed himself.

So he still believes in Hudon? lol Reason why he kept acquiring other players than playing him? What a load of bullcrap. So Niemi is the only one to not come back? Why singled him out?

Rest is as predicted, we are good, 96 points, kids are coming.....we are dissapointed.....BUT we could comeback with the same team......

Oh and for the ones who would reply, but what would you want him to say....here it is:

• We did great...but we acknowledge the force that this division and conference will be in the near future and doing great won't be enough. I will fix our weaknesses and comeback in October with not only the possibility of making the playoffs, but the possibility to win the division.
  • Yes, we have great kids, but other teams have kids too. We are not playing in a league of our own. And I cannot expect them to save us next year.
  • Our offensive core was not injured this year. Reason why they almost all had career years. Being proactive means that I cannot expect that to always happen hence I need to build a better depth.
  • I have already decided who I don't want here this year....I had all year long to have an idea on each player....GM that will tell you that they need to analyse a bit more are full of crap. Niemi is not coming back. Same with Hudon......
  • Extremlely proud of the boys this year. They played at maximum effort all year. Time for me to help them more.
  • Just heard my goalie said that he feels his window is shorter.....and he wants to win more than ever....I will do what I humanly can to make his wish come true. While I realize that other players like Chara can play for a very long time, it's false to think that it's the norm, especially for a goalie. And there is no way that I miss the opporunity to take advantage of 2 stars like Price and Weber. I did not want out of my way to get Weber so that we don't benefit from him.
Stop my lying detector machine will blow up :D

Reactions: Whitesnake

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
God help us, if he lands an other Alzner...
I doubt it. He avoided the UFA mess last summer and barely sniffed at the trade deadline. Bergevin at least seems to have learned when NOT to make a move. Now let's see if he has the skill and balls to make the right moves. I'm hoping he targets Karlsson and Panarin like a CIA drone. If they're unavailable, a few really good consolation prizes would be Anders Lee or Nelson from the NYI, Duchene, Nyquist, even Gardiner. Any of those players would fill a real need.

Reactions: BLONG7

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If he ****s up with UFA this summer it will hamstring this team for many years to come. I sincerely don't understand why anyone would trust him with something so important, he's incredibly prone to bumbling things like this.

Never forget: He chose Alzner over Radulov.
More accurate to say that he felt that signing Alzner made Markov expendable.

The Radulov situation was a f*** up of its own.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I doubt it. He avoided the UFA mess last summer and barely sniffed at the trade deadline. Bergevin at least seems to have learned when NOT to make a move. Now let's see if he has the skill and balls to make the right moves. I'm hoping he targets Karlsson and Panarin like a CIA drone. If they're unavailable, a few really good consolation prizes would be Anders Lee or Nelson from the NYI, Duchene, Nyquist, even Gardiner. Any of those players would fill a real need.
LOL! CIA drones are well known to create colateral damage. They attack a Taliban leader and end up killing everyone at a wedding ceremony. So to bring your analogy back to MB; he'll go to sign Panarin and come back with 5 or 6 redundant UFAs.

Reactions: Lshap

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
That's true.

Some opinions are worth more than others, though. What matters is not the side you're on but the arguments you have to defend your position.

Some people think adding exclamation points and ''FFS'' every other message is an argument :laugh:

Not saying there isn't any argument to defend MB but I've yet to see something more convincing than ''lol just wait''. It's been 7 years, I guess some people don't mind first round exits and going in circles. To each their own I guess.

The bolded part is the main problem with alot of posters here, as soon as one says something that MAY seems like something that MAY be a tiny little bit optimistic towards the Habs he is seen as a MB defender, get over it guy's he will be here at least for another season

Reactions: Habs Icing

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
That’s a valid question I think its safe to say some may regress. However, it can mitigated by adding talent to the lineup. I’d like to see him get a legit 1/2 c, scoring winger, and of course LD.

Adding more skill can make a big impact on this team and hopefully restore faith that they are going in the right direction.

I believe MB and team know they need to improve thru addition, it will come done to execution this summer. IMO, if they miss the playoffs next year he will be gone.
"Players had career years" So what. Did any of said player ever have a really good year ....then topped it last year.

Domi surpassed his back to back 9 goal seasons. Wow !!

Tatar . Gallagher. ... who else?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Yep, there's a chance but you know what, there's also a chance that they surpass it, CP being the CP we saw from january from the get go and the PP just improve to be middle of the pack, KK having 1 season under his belt, having Weber for the full season, this could be happening too you know

Yes, everything can happen. KK having 1 season under his belt...'could have the sophomore jinx too. Thing is......injuries is always key to how a season will go.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
"Players had career years" So what. Did any of these players ever have a really good year ....then topped it last year.

Domi surpassed his back to back 9 goal seasons. Wow !!

Tatar . Gallagher. ... who else?

Career years .... and still missed the play offs. and thats supposed the be a good thing?? MB is bragging about. :laugh:

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Bergevin says he wanted to change the core and go the speed route, why didn't he do this back in 2011? So, either he finally figured it out; then good; or either he's just filling our ears with soft words. I'm kind of found of the new Bergevin, if he's telling the truth. Did he live an epiphany after Alzner?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Danault , Petry , Benn Drouin

The thing is , Domi and Tatar and sorry but gallagher are not able to give more.
LOL. Drouin and Benn.

Comparing the Canadiens to the Canadiens again.

Comparing this season to last sesson.

MB thinks they are in a league of their own. :laugh:

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
LOL. Drouin and Benn.

Comparing the Canadiens to the Canadiens again.

Comparing this season to last sesson.

MB thinks they are in a league of their own. :laugh:

Yeah i know , i mean those were ''career high''

The way Bergevin was talking , hes about to send almost the same team on the ice. They gonna suck hard.

Everything went perfect this season. no major injured , hot price during 4 months. Still did not make playoffs.

Reactions: PaulD

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
All Bergevin was saying is he will look at signing a player if they want to play for Montreal... kind of like Tavares. We wanted to sign him but he closed the door on us. What do we want Bergevin to do? Go knock on his door?

If we feel that we won't be able to sign a key free agent, we should take on Lucic's contract and see what we can get on top. If they don't want to give us their 1st and offer Puljujarvi instead, you pass. I might consider a Lucic/Puljujarvi for Alzner type deal though

Remember when you kept going on about how when Tavares sees this team, he doesn't see what we see and that we'll be a contender to sign him? Good times.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
If you sign Karlsson you trade Weber.

I’d sign Gardiner

Disagree, I wouldn't trade Weber if we sign Karlsson, we move Petry, but if doesn't really matter what you do, if you can land someone as impactful and skilled offensively as EK for free, you do it and worry about shuffling people around later. If EK is willing to sign here, which I think he might be because of his ties with the city of Ottawa then you do it. I can't believe people would be concerned about signing a 75 point dman, no wonder we suck, the GM has the same approach as some of the fans.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Disagree, I wouldn't trade Weber if we sign Karlsson, we move Petry, but if doesn't really matter what you do, if you can land someone as impactful and skilled offensively as EK for free, you do it and worry about shuffling people around later. If EK is willing to sign here, which I think he might be because of his ties with the city of Ottawa then you do it. I can't believe people would be concerned about signing a 75 point dman, no wonder we suck, the GM has the same approach as some of the fans.
I’d move Weber for help on the left side. When you add Karlsson the cap becomes a factor. Weber is more expensive and we could deal him for help on the left side

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So tie up 30 mill approximately in 2 RHD and a goalie? From what I remember Petry wasnt a good LHD. I dont think it matters anyways Karlsson probably doesnt come here.

It's not ideal but if Karlsson were to sign, Petry is easy to move.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Production spiked across the entire league. Players on almost every team had career years. Nothing suggests the Habs will regress relative to everyone else.

Habs had 12 double digit goal scorers, tops in the league.

They'd have to replicate that at least -- I don't see how the entire league would make a difference unless they surpassed this mark next year.

It's the Habs vs. themselves as I see it. Can they do it again?

Last edited:

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Habs had 12 double digit goal scorers, top in the league.

They'd have to replicate that at least -- I don't see how the entire league would make a difference unless they surpassed this mark next year.

It would be hard to replicate but that’s why they have to continue to add talent. That will offset some of the issue. It’s not like they are going to ice the exact team from last year.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I’d move Weber for help on the left side. When you add Karlsson the cap becomes a factor. Weber is more expensive and we could deal him for help on the left side

Our cap is fine. We carry around 10 million in unused space. No worries here imo, move Petry and or Shawzie and replace with league minimum guys. Too easy.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Habs had 12 double digit goal scorers, top in the league.

Career years for Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci in Boston. Career years for Tavares, Marner, Rielly in Toronto. Career years for Kucherov, Point, Stamkos (by 1 pt), not to mention Vasilevskiy's Vezina season in Tampa. And that's just our division. Almost every team has players with career years. League scoring is up overall. Montreal didn't profit from a lucky bump, they just rode the same wave as everyone else. There's no reason the Habs should regress next season relative to those other teams. In fact, considering our top scorers were younger, we very well might see less of a dropoff than many.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad