End of season press conference - April 9, 4:30pm

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Habs don't have the best group of 6-7Dmen...but calling it brutal is a bit extreme IMO.

They've got some "no name" players like Kulak/Benn/Folin/Reilly who are better suited to be bottom pairing dmen.

But brutal?

There are far worse units of 6-7 throughout the league IMO.
Can't think of 1. Lol

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Well there is nothing out there for LHD and if they signed Karlsson at 11 mill, which Ill state again for the record I dont see happening. They are at the 83 mill cap without pushing the bonuses. Of course they will push the bonuses and it leaves them with 4.5 mill. Those numbers are from cap friendly, with filling the roster out with league minimums from the farm system. Then you are really ****ed in 2020, 2021 when you have a lot of rfa's to resign. If things are still looking up you have to figure out how to lock guys up. Worse case they dont look up and you have a cap team that you are stuck in the middle with, all while Price and Weber get a few years older.

Signing Gardiner is not an option for me but to each their own. There isnt much out there UFA wise to be a solution for the problems the Habs have on LHD.
we don't need to.worry about 20-21. We are fine even after giving karlsson 12 x 7. He's worth every penny.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I'm not too keen on signing Karlsson. Yes, he's an offensive dynamo but he is also a defensive liability. If we get him then that means we need two left handed D-man. One for Weber and a defensive stay at home stud for the reckless Karlsson. Who on the team today can play with Karlsson and help him out with his defensive gaffs? Another reason is I'm worried about his health. The number of games he plays each season has been trending downward for the last 4 years. I don't want him. I would rather place the money on a stud forward and an offensive LH defenseman for Weber.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I doubt it. He avoided the UFA mess last summer and barely sniffed at the trade deadline. Bergevin at least seems to have learned when NOT to make a move. Now let's see if he has the skill and balls to make the right moves. I'm hoping he targets Karlsson and Panarin like a CIA drone. If they're unavailable, a few really good consolation prizes would be Anders Lee or Nelson from the NYI, Duchene, Nyquist, even Gardiner. Any of those players would fill a real need.

Or maybe, even the UFA mess wanted nothing to do with Bergevin and saved him from himself. Wouldn't be the first time as per the Bonino Belesky Lucic doctrine.

As far as what MB has really learned, we'll find out this summer when he has the opportunity to try and emulate or even out-do what he did last summer.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yeah i know , i mean those were ''career high''

The way Bergevin was talking , hes about to send almost the same team on the ice. They gonna suck hard.

Everything went perfect this season. no major injured , hot price during 4 months. Still did not make playoffs.
OK its getting comical now. They missed the play offs and are patting themselves on the back. :laugh::biglaugh:

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Yes. Are you aware some succeed? Or should we start trading away all later round picks in future years?
yup, some do... happened what, twice for the Habs in the last 20 years or something...

look, nobody is going to say an extra pick is a bad thing... but to be all giddy over the idea of drafting 2X or 3X in the 150+ ranks is stupid at best... those two picks have a VERY slim chance to play a single NHL game, an even smaller chance to have a career as a 13th forward...

so yeah, maybe you should stop acting like acquiring those extra picks is an amazing feat by the GM and that it will turn this franchise around or something.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
we don't need to.worry about 20-21. We are fine even after giving karlsson 12 x 7. He's worth every penny.
You dont need to worry about the season after 19-20? It isnt that far away. Not addressing a need and having potential cap problems doesnt seem like a good idea. I'd agree if you were addressing a need. Regardless, I dont think he is signing here.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Remember when you kept going on about how when Tavares sees this team, he doesn't see what we see and that we'll be a contender to sign him? Good times.

I do remember it well and how you tried to twist things. Remember when I said that if we won the draft lottery and got Dahlin, it might help? Remember when I reduced my probability he would sign when we didn't win the lottery? Remember when I said that I think Weber and Price could be a factor but I was also worried about the Ontario factor. All I was doing was trying to pass a conversation and the negative ones always jump on you for trying to talk about it and try to change the narrative that I thought he was signing with us for sure. Come on man.

How come you only remember the belittle attempt parts? Weird man. You were right, he didn't sign with us. Are you trying to say I should change my attitude and join your "we can't" club? Don't think I want to... doesn't sound like a good environment to me

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Or maybe, even the UFA mess wanted nothing to do with Bergevin and saved him from himself. Wouldn't be the first time as per the Bonino Belesky Lucic doctrine.

As far as what MB has really learned, we'll find out this summer when he has the opportunity to try and emulate or even out-do what he did last summer.
I agree we'll have a better idea of our direction -- or lack of direction -- this summer. As for last summer, considering how quickly rumours and gossip fly in our market, it was telling that there were no signals that Bergevin was pursuing overpriced mediocre players. Tavares and Stastny, sure, but that's the type of high-end talent we actually need. A few of those top players might be shopping for a new home in July; he should be all over them like a carnivore on a bison. Hopefully his failed signings two years ago cured him of his appetite for free-agent junk food.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I'm not too keen on signing Karlsson. Yes, he's an offensive dynamo but he is also a defensive liability. If we get him then that means we need two left handed D-man. One for Weber and a defensive stay at home stud for the reckless Karlsson. Who on the team today can play with Karlsson and help him out with his defensive gaffs? Another reason is I'm worried about his health. The number of games he plays each season has been trending downward for the last 4 years. I don't want him. I would rather place the money on a stud forward and an offensive LH defenseman for Weber.
Agree, I never thought he was that great, maybe before the Cooke injury, but still defensively suspect. Besides, him and Drouin would spend practice discussing hair products.

Reactions: Habs Icing

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Karlsson is still super talented with superior hockey sense...but I don't think people realize how mangled his ankle is.

Teams should be very careful and do their homework before backing up the Brinks truck for EK this summer.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Karlsson is still super talented with superior hockey sense...but I don't think people realize how mangled his ankle is.

Teams should be very careful and do their homework before backing up the Brinks truck for EK this summer.

I hope this plays into our favor where we are the only ones willing to overpay. I'd take the risk. Where else are we going to use this cap space? Taking on Lucic and getting something on top? Considering that the cap is rising and a new expansion team is coming, I think Karlsson for 7 more years fits. Offer him 7 years at $12M and see if this sparks his interest. Rather offer less but he is not coming to Montreal on a fair deal.

If Karlsson is interested in playing in Montreal, I'm not saying no. If his angle is messed up long term, he likely goes on LTIR. The only risk is we would have to be strategic with how we use his LTIR cap hit on other players year to year. Honestly, I watched him play last night and he looked fine. Maybe he is not a great fit with the Sharks as he was with the Sens? :dunno:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I hope this plays into our favor where we are the only ones willing to overpay. I'd take the risk. Where else are we going to use this cap space?
You know, cap space isn't only for signing UFA's...it's also for when you need to retain your own players.

Spending money just for the hell of it, isn't a viable plan.

As for Karlsson, I don't see the point...unless the Habs move Weber, there's really no point adding Karlsson.

Taking on Lucic and getting something on top? Considering that the cap is rising and a new expansion team is coming, I think Karlsson for 7 more years fits. Offer him 7 years at $12M and see if this sparks his interest. Rather offer less but he is not coming to Montreal on a fair deal.
That's not the kind of deal or player I would target this free agency...but that's just me.

If Karlsson is interested in playing in Montreal, I'm not saying no. If his angle is messed up long term, he likely goes on LTIR. The only risk is we would have to be strategic with how we use his LTIR cap hit on other players year to year. Honestly, I watched him play last night and he looked fine. Maybe he is not a great fit with the Sharks as he was with the Sens? :dunno:
If Karlsson is interested in playing Montreal, term is going to be key more than actual cap hit/salary. I'd be weary of signing him to anything more than 5yrs and even then, for me, it would mean goodbye to Weber or Petry.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You know, cap space isn't only for signing UFA's...it's also for when you need to retain your own players.

Spending money just for the hell of it, isn't a viable plan.

As for Karlsson, I don't see the point...unless the Habs move Weber, there's really no point adding Karlsson.

That's not the kind of deal or player I would target this free agency...but that's just me.

If Karlsson is interested in playing Montreal, term is going to be key more than actual cap hit/salary. I'd be weary of signing him to anything more than 5yrs and even then, for me, it would mean goodbye to Weber or Petry.

1) I don't see any issues with our ability to keep our talent or a competitive roster. No player (UFA or RFA) this summer is getting a hefty raise. Then we got Domi, Mete, and Juulsen the year after but we also have expiring contracts with Weise, Peca, Deslauriers and with a larger cap. The year after it gets more interesting with Gallagher, Petry, Danault, Tatar with Kotkaniemi needing a new contract as well. If our youth grows like we think they will, not all our pending UFA's are coming back.

2) I rather we sign a key UFA too vs trying to do another Armia type deal where we absorbe salary. However, I want impact UFA's, not similar talent to what we already have in our top 9. So if we can't spend our cap space on anyone that fits (including Karlsson cause he says no), why not see what the Oilers would give us on top of Lucic? Worth trying if the UFA market is disappointing like it usually is for us.

3) Adding Karlsson clogs up the RD side but this is a good problem to have. We can either try to move Petry to the LD side or trade him cause there are a lot of team looking for a RD and he has a decent contract for 2 years. That also frees up Almost half of Karlson's cap hit too ;)

How to we add the pieces so we can fix our PP? We add a piece like Karlsson. No way I saying no to Karlsson if he is interesting in playing in Montreal. If he is ok with 5 years at a large cap hit, you sign the contract. If he wants 7 years, you don't say no.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
1) I don't see any issues with our ability to keep our talent or a competitive roster. No player (UFA or RFA) this summer is getting a hefty raise. Then we got Domi, Mete, and Juulsen the year after but we also have expiring contracts with Weise, Peca, Deslauriers and with a larger cap. The year after it gets more interesting with Gallagher, Petry, Danault, Tatar with Kotkaniemi needing a new contract as well. If our youth grows like we think they will, not all our pending UFA's are coming back.
The composition of the roster next year, forget 2-3yrs from now is anyone's guess. I'm not saying you're wrong, I think people worry about cap space too much, so it's not a concern for me.

I look at the Habs having this much capspace, with the kind of year they had...as a good thing, but I'm also a "glass half full" kind of guy.

So spending it just cause they have it, doesn't really make sense to me.

2) I rather we sign a key UFA too vs trying to do another Armia type deal where we absorbe salary. However, I want impact UFA's, not similar talent to what we already have in our top 9. So if we can't spend our cap space on anyone that fits (including Karlsson cause he says no), why not see what the Oilers would give us on top of Lucic? Worth trying if the UFA market is disappointing like it usually is for us.
I know you've floated this Lucic idea for awhile...I'm totally against it, or rather, I don't think the Oilers would have the stomach to do what it would take to move Lucic at this point.

Saying that's an albatross contract is an understatement. I wouldn't even trade Karl Alzner straight up for Lucic.

3) Adding Karlsson clogs up the RD side but this is a good problem to have. We can either try to move Petry to the LD side or trade him cause there are a lot of team looking for a RD and he has a decent contract for 2 years. That also frees up Almost half of Karlson's cap hit too ;)
That's what I said...if we're adding Karlsson, for me, it means we have to move Weber or Petry and preferably the former.

How to we add the pieces so we can fix our PP? We add a piece like Karlsson. No way I saying no to Karlsson if he is interesting in playing in Montreal. If he is ok with 5 years at a large cap hit, you sign the contract. If he wants 7 years, you don't say no.
I wouldn't sign him for 7yrs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The composition of the roster next year, forget 2-3yrs from now is anyone's guess. I'm not saying you're wrong, I think people worry about cap space too much, so it's not a concern for me.

I look at the Habs having this much capspace, with the kind of year they had...as a good thing, but I'm also a "glass half full" kind of guy.

So spending it just cause they have it, doesn't really make sense to me.

I know you've floated this Lucic idea for awhile...I'm totally against it, or rather, I don't think the Oilers would have the stomach to do what it would take to move Lucic at this point.

Saying that's an albatross contract is an understatement. I wouldn't even trade Karl Alzner straight up for Lucic.

That's what I said...if we're adding Karlsson, for me, it means we have to move Weber or Petry and preferably the former.

I wouldn't sign him for 7yrs

Sounds like how we lost Radulov. We were to afraid to pay him more than others cause of the "risks". I'd sign Karlsson to 7 years and I have reviewed our cap structure moving forward. I'd be comfortable with it and the options we would have. This is not some 5 or 10 minute evaluation on our cap either

I wouldn't trade Alzner for Lucic straight up either. Alzner don't have a NMC and his contract is more buy out friendly. But if the Oilers add the 8th OA pick on top of Lucic, I'd most certainly engage in trade talks. I offered Primeau for Lucic and their 8th OA pick. I like Primeau just as much as anyone but I think we can spare him cause Price is 31, not 36. However, looks like the Oilers have a few young options with goaltending already so don't look like this fits for them. Next offer would be our two 2nd's in replace of Primeau. If they don't like that and want more. Let them drown with Lucic and his NMC

To be clear. I'm only interested in adding Lucic (with a substantial piece added) if we feel that our cap space continues to go unused cause we can't sign impact UFA's. I'd be buying out Lucic before the expansion draft to avoid the NMC issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 417

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I have never liked EK's game in his own end....he can be outright awful some nights, like the night he was a -6 vs the Habs....but, without a doubt, the best offensive Dman in the game...........and boy would he FIX the powerplay!!

Jul 6, 2016
I have never liked EK's game in his own end....he can be outright awful some nights, like the night he was a -6 vs the Habs....but, without a doubt, the best offensive Dman in the game...........and boy would he FIX the powerplay!!

You would pay 11 M $ per year for that ? Find me the next Streit or MA Bergeron instead.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Thomas Chabot-Dylan Demelo
Mark Borowiecki-Christian Jaros
Andreas Englund-Codi Ceci

Not even one huh?

DEFENSIVE PAIRINGSDefense

ALEXANDER EDLER

Rating: 77.1#14 LD

TROY STECHER

Rating: 73.7#45 RD

BEN HUTTON

Rating: 70.8#103 LD

BROGAN RAFFERTY

QUINN HUGHES

LUKE SCHENN
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

ANDY GREENE

Rating: 72.2#74 LD

DAMON SEVERSON

Rating: 72.7#61 RD

EGOR YAKOVLEV

CONNOR CARRICK

Rating: 70.7#94 RD

WILL BUTCHER

Rating: 74.3#40 LD

STEVEN SANTINI

Rating: 69.8#100 RD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: 417

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
You would pay 11 M $ per year for that ? Find me the next Streit or MA Bergeron instead.
Not convinced 11M makes sense.......as I mentioned he doesn't play well on his side of centre...could Richardson fix that?

As for Streit or MAB, those two guys give me bad memories....Sergachev would have been nice though...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad