End of season press conference - April 9, 4:30pm

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I finally have come around agree with most posters that it wouldn't hurt to get bigger.

imo, the two best candidates to move in order to get bigger are Drouin and Byron.

I'm interested to see any hints Bergevin might feel the same way. He won't come out and say it. But when there were rumors about Price he said firmly he's not going anywhere, not so much with Subban, Radulov, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, and Beaulieu. In fact with Galchenyuk and Beaulieu he said they've been in the league long enough to be better. With Radulov told the media during the season that the salaries he's asking for should go to better players...

this team looked beat up and spent by the end of January. The key players up front are small, and light. Domi, Gallagher, Tatar, Drouin, Shaw - all small. Armia has size, JK is just a boy. Poheling will help for sure, but how much inexperience can we have down the middle and be successful?

Reactions: Miller Time

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
this team looked beat up and spent by the end of January. The key players up front are small, and light. Domi, Gallagher, Tatar, Drouin, Shaw - all small. Armia has size, JK is just a boy. Poheling will help for sure, but how much inexperience can we have down the middle and be successful?

My plan would be to try to sign as many good UFA forwards as possible - up to 4. Right now we have 12 good forwards (including Poehling). If we reeled in 4 UFAs, I'd trade Drouin and Byron and put KK and Poehling in Laval. Then, I'd use our depth at forward to trade for help on D and after the trade call up KK and Poehling.

Some ufa's that would help us get bigger: Anders Lee, Hayes, Dzingle
Some ufa's that would help us get more skilled: Panarin, Duchene, Skinner, Nyqvist, Johansson, plus others I'm forgetting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Geoff was there last year to shield MB .

He could be there but I would not be surprised if he was not .

MB will say we got 96 pts and 99 % of the time that is good enough for playoffs , add that its a Massive improvement on next year .

Poehling's game gave him ammo to praise our prospect pool.

It will be a bore of a Presser where they will look to next year .

I'm still going to look to see if he gives any hints as to what he'll do in the offseason ufa and trade markets. He's usually pretty easy to read.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
With all the good ufa's, it's an exciting offseason. I want to see what his plan going forward is with respect to ufas.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
With all the good ufa's, it's an exciting offseason. I want to see what his plan going forward is with respect to ufas.
The last off-season I got into a huge great mood was in 2009. They should find an ambassador or an appropriate negotiator. To convince them. Selling them an ambitious project,

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Remember the 500 posts penciling Tavares into our lineup? We are not a destination for any of the big fish, we should put all of our resources into actually developing the ones we draft.
Or the underrated stars from the NHL.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Remember the 500 posts penciling Tavares into our lineup? We are not a destination for any of the big fish, we should put all of our resources into actually developing the ones we draft.

Radulov, Cole, Cammalleri, Gionta, ...

There are a lot of players similar to these available this summer. My main interest in them is to bolster our asset arsenal so we can trade for help on defense when a team struggling on offense but with an excess of dmen wants to trade.

Reactions: OldCraig71

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Just logistically speaking, how can Bergevin hold a press conference at 4h30 and then be in Toronto/NYC for the draft lottery at 8pm?
He's sending Poehling as the Hab representative to hope that his good luck from his first game rubs off on the lottery.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
"Si on navait été dans l'ouesse on serait din séries"

"Stune année de transition" (for the 5th or 6th year out of 7......)

"Chu fièr dé gars"

"On n'é pas louin"

"I hit the chest about 5 times per week"

"There was pas mal the fatigue"

That probably sums it all for tomorrow and next year's presser.

Apr 28, 2010

Agreed. Some of us are doing the same thing now for Duchene.

I would just focus on acquiring a top LD. But I'm not sure how..

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

But looking at this list, there's not even one that I like.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
"Si on navait été dans l'ouesse on serait din séries"

"Stune année de transition" (for the 5th or 6th year out of 7......)

"Chu fièr dé gars"

"On n'é pas louin"

"I hit the chest about 5 times per week"

"There was pas mal the fatigue"

That probably sums it all for tomorrow and next year's presser.
Excusesman Gonna Excuses

Reactions: Hope Of Glory

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
These season-end press conferences by MB and our owner always sour my mood about the team for a couple of weeks (or until the draft the last time), year after year. I mean, is it too much to ask for our GM and owner to be curt, truthful, direct, and clear in their answers and not make absolutely inane, or outlandish comments at press conferences?

I'm hoping they buck the trend this year, but I'm not getting my hopes up. In fact, I'm getting ready to hear about how the beer will be better and colder coming out of the tap next year at the Centre Bell.

Reactions: Runner77

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
These season-end press conferences by MB and our owner always sour my mood about the team for a couple of weeks (or until the draft the last time), year after year. I mean, is it too much to ask for our GM and owner to be curt, truthful, direct, and clear in their answers and not make absolutely inane, or outlandish comments at press conferences?

I'm hoping they buck the trend this year, but I'm not getting my hopes up. In fact, I'm getting ready to hear about how the beer will be better and colder coming out of the tap next year at the Centre Bell.

yes its not Belgian beers brewed by monks that you can enjoy just as much at room temperature. A Molson needs to be extra cold so you can't actually taste it. As close to 0*C as possible.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
I never watch those end of season press conference, nothing to learn there, specially in a place like Montréal where everything you say can be analyse a thousand different way, GM's coaches and owner have to be very careful with the word they choose, it's a receipe for very boring presser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad