End Of Season Awards | Hart Memorial Trophy

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm going to do some polls over the next week or two giving out individual awards to Avalanche players. I was going to just drop them all at once but figured there are far too many polls talking about the same thing already right now and I'm sure things will start to die down soon as Avs hockey is over so a couple of extra polls added as days go by might add a little life to this page.

Hart Memorial Trophy:

Awarded to the team's most valuable player

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Soderberg. He played in every game. He might have faded a bit at the end but he led the team in assists and did a lot of heavy lifting. There weren't a lot of negatives in his game.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Anyone on this team who gets the Avs MVP award should have an asterisk next to their name denoting "won by default" due to lack of suitable candidates. Simply put, no one had a consistently good season IMO. Duchene scored 30, which was an impressive feat, but his bone dry start was a major factor in the Avs falling behind the 8-ball after their first 20 games. McKinnon started strong--looking like a beast, but he faded badly as the season progressed, looking hapless most nights. Landeskog had Viking Mode stretches, but he too disappeared for weeks on end making everyone think he was injured. Varlamov wasn't anything special. EJ's injuries rendered him average at best, though his goal-scoring was decent. Barrie was an offensive whiz, as usual, but a defensive train wreck. Beauchemin was steady Eddie most of the year, but he too faded badly the last 20-25 games due to overuse. Soderberg? He was pretty steady offensive production-wise, but he too was a non-factor in plenty of games. So, take your pick. I'd give it to Duchene simply because 30 goals are not easy to bag in todays NHL, though I'm not going to say he really carried this team in any way. Truthfully speaking, I bet all these guys know they were disappointing individually & collectively.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It's not like this award is being glued to the wall inside a glass case at the HHOF. Having to put an asterisk beside the name of a player that fans on an internet forum voted on having the best season is a little extreme.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Varly.

Yea, he struggled towards the end of the year, but he was by far the Avs best player and the reason they were in games for most of the season.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Duchene, not close for me either. However, doesn't mean much as he and his teammates are capable of much more.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
This season? Duchene.

Were hoping for more from MacK, EJ, Varly and Landeskog but can't say anyone of them was bad.

Soderberg exceeded expectations. Barrie is elite and was elite but not MVP. But he might be going forward if we insist on him being our only puckmoving d-man in the top 4.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It's Duchene and there's no argument otherwise.

- Varly was superb for 2 months and just okay the rest of the time(not entirely his fault)

- Mack was never their best player for any real length of time.

- EJ was crap-average 90% of the season

- Barrie was good just fizzled out.

-Landy had his moments but they were few and far between.

-Soda was a good solider but he can't be relied upon every night.

LOL at the FB comment.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
My choice is Duchene. I like the Soderberg comment too. He, like Duchene had a rough few weeks to start the year but he became the model of consistency after that. He also matched up against other teams top lines for the entire second half of the season which was major. His stats started to take a hit once that happened but he still held his own much more than he did when put into that position in Boston.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Soderberg for me. Only one that exceeded expectations. Barrie met expectatoins, but took a stupid suspension, so loses it on that. Everyone else on the list was varying levels below what should be expected of them. Varly was crap except for 7 weeks or so, which brought his season average all the way up to poor (26th in the NHL is bad for someone making almost $6M). EJ was fine for much of the season, but not all of it. Landy got suspended (this will always be an auto-loss for me, unless it is for a hit to Cooke, etc.). Duchene's rough start killed his chances for a Hart (he will be my vote for Pearson though). Ditto for MacK falling off his cliff.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Everyone keeps mentioning Duchene's start, but he turned it around and became the best player after that. MacK was a beast to start the year then fell of the face of the earth. The whole team struggled but Duchene was our best player overall.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
Duchene without question

at the beginning of the season what struck me most was it seemed like he was taking short shifts and seemed winded when he should have been at his freshest/most energized
at first I attributed this to him maybe coming into the season out of shape ... but more and more it became clear he was trying to do to much based on the lack of effort by his linemates

Last edited:

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
It's not like this award is being glued to the wall inside a glass case at the HHOF. Having to put an asterisk beside the name of a player that fans on an internet forum voted on having the best season is a little extreme.

Of course this is just for ***** & giggles---nothing serious, obviously.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think there really can be one... if I had to choose, I'd say Beauch. He was the best overall defensemen this year, provided a stabilizing presence for his pairing, and was probably the most consistent player on the team. He wasn't perfect, but I think he had the biggest overall positive impact. After Beauch it is probably a toss up between Landy and Duchene... Duchene was pretty inconsistent and so was Landy, but when both were playing well, they had big impacts on the team. I'd say when Landy is on top of his game, his overall impact is greater.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Duchene was really bad the first couple of months. Good since.

I can't think of a player that really stepped up and make a great claim to a MVP title. But Duchene got 30 goals which is one of the few bright spots.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I'll be the only one who votes for him, but EJ is the player who I think would have been the most missed if he'd not played the entire season.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Beauchemin. Played all 82 games, career high in points, top-10 in the league in ice-time. Was tasked with playing alongside EJ against other teams' top lines, and when Zadorov came up he was called upon to be the calming vet beside him. He did it all for this team. He tailed off the last ~25% of the year, but that was to be expected given his age and how much Roy was using him. But Beauchemin is the teams MVP.

And that's unacceptable. There are 6 players on this team who should be ahead of him on that list.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I'm going to do some polls over the next week or two giving out individual awards to Avalanche players. I was going to just drop them all at once but figured there are far too many polls talking about the same thing already right now and I'm sure things will start to die down soon as Avs hockey is over so a couple of extra polls added as days go by might add a little life to this page.

Hart Memorial Trophy:

Awarded to the team's most valuable player

Can we add Beauchemin to the voting list? Up until around the trade deadline, he was pretty consistently good in the face of a generally average partner.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It's Duchene and there's no argument otherwise.

- Varly was superb for 2 months and just okay the rest of the time(not entirely his fault)

- Mack was never their best player for any real length of time.

- EJ was crap-average 90% of the season

- Barrie was good just fizzled out.

-Landy had his moments but they were few and far between.

-Soda was a good solider but he can't be relied upon every night.

LOL at the FB comment.

LOL at the LOL at the FB comment

I don't think there really can be one... if I had to choose, I'd say Beauch. He was the best overall defensemen this year, provided a stabilizing presence for his pairing, and was probably the most consistent player on the team. He wasn't perfect, but I think he had the biggest overall positive impact. After Beauch it is probably a toss up between Landy and Duchene... Duchene was pretty inconsistent and so was Landy, but when both were playing well, they had big impacts on the team. I'd say when Landy is on top of his game, his overall impact is greater.

Beauchemin. Played all 82 games, career high in points, top-10 in the league in ice-time. Was tasked with playing alongside EJ against other teams' top lines, and when Zadorov came up he was called upon to be the calming vet beside him. He did it all for this team. He tailed off the last ~25% of the year, but that was to be expected given his age and how much Roy was using him. But Beauchemin is the teams MVP.

And that's unacceptable. There are 6 players on this team who should be ahead of him on that list.

As others have said, him playing in 82 games, and the fact that he was so good mentoring the kids. The defensive mentor is something we really needed.

Roy also mentioned that FB was one of the more vocal veterans in the room. Hes been exactly what they were looking for when they got Iginla and Stuart.

Two of them failed, FB was exactly what he needed to be.

Can't say it enough about how important it is to have him mentoring the young defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad