OT: Empty Seats at the Bell Center

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
I have not watched a full game in 2 weeks. I watched maybe 5 full games this year. I simply don't give a ****.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Exactly. I am also fed up with all those pompous ceremonies celebrating last century success while a torch of incompetence and mediocrity being passed for the last 20+ years.

there are 29 other teams in the league

can't wait until the nordiques are back and we lose the fairweather fans :)

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Good... This franchise is turning into the maple leafs. .

Err...if we were the Leafs, we would be selling out every game regardless of how bad the team is. Sure, the most expensive seats may be always empty at Leafs game...but that's because all of the business/corporate people are schmoozing at the bar. Make no mistake, those empty seats are still sold seats.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Once upon a time you could buy a block of tickets and resell them for easy profits.

Now, good luck selling your tickets for anything more than face value. There are plenty available from the box office.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Montreal fans are probably the most bipolar, moodiness, whatever else you want to call them fans in the World.

It's not about ticket prices, it's about the fans pouting. While I understand the average Joe not wanting to spending 200+ dollars to see a pathetic team, especially when that type of disposable income isn't that easy, they would spend it to get the tickets if it wasn't such a hinderance to other aspects of life.

I don't know about that. Personally, the last ticket I bought was to go to Koivu's tribute night. Otherwise, I stopped buying tickets 3 years ago because of the price. They increase the price after making record revenues, it's just outrageous to me. I mean, how much more can they bleed us without expecting repercussions? Obviously the team's performance has a say, but if tickets were cheaper, I would go see the games even if they are on a bad stretch.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Err...if we were the Leafs, we would be selling out every game regardless of how bad the team is. Sure, the most expensive seats may be always empty at Leafs game...but that's because all of the business/corporate people are schmoozing at the bar. Make no mistake, those empty seats are still sold seats.

The leafs seats are sold to business. Most casual fans can't find a ticket because they are either too expensive or not available.

We are turning into them price wise. I should have been more clear.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
As others noted, tickets were sold before season, so the organization loses nothing if people don't show up now. The only lost dollars are the commissions on tickets being re-sold through their vault. The only people taking a major hit are scalpers.

People aren't going because they've lost hope. Nobody wants to go to games in anticipation of seeing their team lose. It's a new, very bad feeling. But I don't think it'll carry over into next season's sales. Because once Price is back and the team regains their momentum (even if it's too late for this season), fans will reasonably expect to see the Habs of the last 3.3 seasons, not the bizarre broken version of the last six weeks.

They do lose on product consumption though. When I go to a game, I don't spend any money because everything is so expensive. But I see some people who easily spend more than 60$ in their night. Even though, it's clearly not everybody, I do think it's a significant part of the Bell Center's income. Now, I know that there are not so many empty seats and that it might not change much one night's revenue, but if people stop going to the game even after buying the tickets, it might have some effect on the income. I'm 100% speculating here...

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
nordiques are not happening. they would have had hard time surviving even when dollars were at par.

Yup. It's sad really because the external market dictates a team's success or lack thereof.

Ive been advocating a "NET" cap for a long time: taking all external pressures, taxes and dollar exchange to create a fair cap for every team. It forces all teams to be on equal footing. Isnt that what a cap is for?

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Behind Condon's net there seemed to be quite a few empty seats.

Well to be honest at the price of tickets nowadays, can't really blame the people. 6-700$ for a pair and then you get told not to boooo because the guy had a bad day!!!!

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
The leafs seats are sold to business. Most casual fans can't find a ticket because they are either too expensive or not available.

We are turning into them price wise. I should have been more clear.

Yup, which is why it's ALWAYS more loud in the cheap seats ;) (and more fun)

Ahh, okay, price wise, yeah I totally understand...albeit, Leafs tickets get discounted quite a bit as they seem to be having problems filling the seats (even the cheap seats) these days (yeah, I was wrong about selling out every game).

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Goals are exciting. I don't recall scoring 3 goals to be a rarity under Jacques Martin.

Under Jacques Martin the Habs had, in Goals For :

2009-2010 : 210 (25th)
2010-2011 : 213 (21st)
2011-2012 : 207 (20th)

He only coached 32 games of that last season tho.

Under Michel Therrien :

2012-2013 : 146 (4th)
2013-2014 : 203 (21st)
2014-2015 : 214 (20th)
2015-2016 : 127 (7th)

His first year (the lockout year) was very good offensive wise and thank god for the first few weeks this season we're still 7th in GF but it's trending to the bottom. But other wise, it looks very similar to what Martin gave us.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
As others noted, tickets were sold before season, so the organization loses nothing if people don't show up now. The only lost dollars are the commissions on tickets being re-sold through their vault. The only people taking a major hit are scalpers.

People aren't going because they've lost hope. Nobody wants to go to games in anticipation of seeing their team lose. It's a new, very bad feeling. But I don't think it'll carry over into next season's sales. Because once Price is back and the team regains their momentum (even if it's too late for this season), fans will reasonably expect to see the Habs of the last 3.3 seasons, not the bizarre broken version of the last six weeks.

Those empty seats are paid for yes,but they don't buy beers food sweaters hats parking fees etc....
Concessions is a big part of the game and $$ maker...With a 68 cents dollar the loss of any revenue due to empty seats
will be much bigger...

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Under Jacques Martin the Habs had, in Goals For :

2009-2010 : 210 (25th)
2010-2011 : 213 (21st)
2011-2012 : 207 (20th)

He only coached 32 games of that last season tho.

Under Michel Therrien :

2012-2013 : 146 (4th)
2013-2014 : 203 (21st)
2014-2015 : 214 (20th)
2015-2016 : 127 (7th)

His first year (the lockout year) was very good offensive wise and thank god for the first few weeks this season we're still 7th in GF but it's trending to the bottom. But other wise, it looks very similar to what Martin gave us.

check the scores from 2011 you'll see a lot of games where the Habs scored between 3-5 goals, a lot of them being timely and on the PP.

Things Martin never had:
-a confident GM(fired his assistant in October 3 seasons in)
-Gallagher
-Subban in his prime
-Patches in his prime
-Galchenyuk
-Price's best years

Last edited:

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
check the scores from 2011 you'll see a lot of games where the Habs scored between 3-5 goals, a lot of them being timely and on the PP. 4 goals is a fever dream under Therrien the past 2 years.

Things Martin never had:
-a confident GM(fired his assistant in October 3 seasons in)
-Gallagher
-Subban in his prime
-Patches in his prime
-Galchenyuk
-Price's best years

This season alone the Habs scored 3 goals or more in 22 games lol. I understand what you're trying to say, but it just doesn't make sense because at the end of the day teams under Martin and Therrien had almost identical offensive output.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
This season alone the Habs scored 3 goals or more in 22 games lol. I understand what you're trying to say, but it just doesn't make sense because at the end of the day teams under Martin and Therrien had almost identical offensive output.

Seemed like a lot more to me, maybe it's because of the successful PP.

In any event I'd rather have the JM team that could win a game on the PP than this MT team that gets desperate for a PP goal if it gets shut down 5 on 5. I think he could do a lot with this roster.

Anyway the point is the team would be more exciting under Jacky Martin because of guys like Gallagher and a prime PK.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
Seemed like a lot more to me, maybe it's because of the successful PP.

In any event I'd rather have the JM team that could win a game on the PP than this MT team that gets desperate for a PP goal if it gets shut down 5 on 5. I think he could do a lot with this roster.

Anyway the point is the team would be more exciting under Jacky Martin because of guys like Gallagher and a prime PK.

I'd rather not have either!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad