Player Discussion: Emil Martinsen Lilleberg

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Coop yesterday:

"He's got some size, he's not afraid to play physical, he's a battler, he can defend, he does all those things that can stir the pot for the team, and defend. It's something where you can't have enough size on the back end, and he's proven that he's got a lot of courage when he's back there. I like to see that in a guy. That's how he's earned his call up."

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Anyone know why he didn't sign with the Coyotes/the Coyotes didn't sign him? I know he was drafted after his D+2, so he was older and closer to a more finished product.

Galroth

Jan 10, 2024
Anyone know why he didn't sign with the Coyotes/the Coyotes didn't sign him? I know he was drafted after his D+2, so he was older and closer to a more finished product.
He has a heart condition that he was born with. Arizona wouldn't let him on the ice before he had surgery to fix it, even if he has plenty of confirmation from other doctors that it can wait until after his hockey career ends, and he doesn't want to do it now because of the long recovery and risk of complications. So, he went back to Europe, expecting to stay and play there but then TBL picked him up, obviously willing to use him.

As a Norwegian Kings fan, I had to see last nights game, and I think Lilleberg handled himself quite well. They spent a lot of time in the O-zone, with his pair on the ice, especially in the first two periods. He was also put on the ice in those crucial last minutes of a tied game, which shows there is a level of trust not always given to young defenders.

He was on the ice for 2 goals against and two goals for, without actually being to blame or get credit for any of them. Even the one he assisted on you can't really give much credit for as he was leaving the ice, but he played with confidence, and was willing to participate and take risks, not just go for the safe option every single time.

He did fall once, which gave the kings a breakaway, but it didn't seem to shake him too much.
Having seen him for the national team, I can also say that he hasn't brought all of his physicality yet, so there is more to come when he starts hitting harder.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
He has a heart condition that he was born with. Arizona wouldn't let him on the ice before he had surgery to fix it, even if he has plenty of confirmation from other doctors that it can wait until after his hockey career ends, and he doesn't want to do it now because of the long recovery and risk of complications. So, he went back to Europe, expecting to stay and play there but then TBL picked him up, obviously willing to use him.

As a Norwegian Kings fan, I had to see last nights game, and I think Lilleberg handled himself quite well. They spent a lot of time in the O-zone, with his pair on the ice, especially in the first two periods. He was also put on the ice in those crucial last minutes of a tied game, which shows there is a level of trust not always given to young defenders.

He was on the ice for 2 goals against and two goals for, without actually being to blame or get credit for any of them. Even the one he assisted on you can't really give much credit for as he was leaving the ice, but he played with confidence, and was willing to participate and take risks, not just go for the safe option every single time.

He did fall once, which gave the kings a breakaway, but it didn't seem to shake him too much.
Having seen him for the national team, I can also say that he hasn't brought all of his physicality yet, so there is more to come when he starts hitting harder.
Thank you for the info! Are there many hockey fans in Norway, and if so, which NHL teams do people mainly root for?

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Thank you for the info! Are there many hockey fans in Norway, and if so, which NHL teams do people mainly root for?
Mats Zuccarello (Minnesota Wild) has been the only Norwegian in the NHL for the last 2-3 years. So people root for that team and his former team the Rangers. And now of course Tampa.

Finally more Norwegian kids are in the AHL or will be drafted, some of them on their way to the big league.

Good to see Lilleberg doing well, and that the coach likes him.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Coop:
"It's hard, especially when you play your first one, you're playing on complete emotion and stuff like that. But, he just makes plays. He ends plays and makes plays. As a defenseman if you can do that, and not really be noticed, you might have a hell of a career in front of you. And that's what he did. He's a gamer, he's a physical presence down low, but he can make plays with the puck too. This is two games hes played against the Boston Bruins and the Los Angeles Kings, and those aren't pushovers, so he did a great job."

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Tampa22

Eternally grateful TBL enforcers!
Oct 11, 2010
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I remember Espn Knutsen from my old days of NHL video games... I guess was the most famous Norwegian player from be in an All Star game and the sadly story playing for Columbus. I always remember his name cause I saw some hockey games here by ESPN and never hear that name before.

Reactions: aylib

Galroth

Jan 10, 2024
Hockey is fairly big, but mostly local Norwegian hockey. Second largest sport measured by attendance. (waaay behing football (soccer))
Not that many players though, not enough rinks etc.

As Webster mentioned, Rangers are the most popular team here. East Coast makes it much easier to see matches for Europeans, and Zuccarello had a long stint there. Apart from that, it's pretty much spread out with a heavier side to the teams that have been good for longer periods of time. Detroit has a lot of older fans, Pittsburgh of course. I foolishly picked a west coast team when in elemtary school in 1987 because I liked to logo, followed results mostly from Swedish television and teletext, but got some good years with Gretzky. :)

Apart from that, we always root for teams with Norwegians on them, so TBL will be getting a significant increase in Norwegian Media and supporters if Lilleberg sticks with the team. He's not that well known in Norway actually, he played for a fairly small club, and left to Sweden early. I think most Norwegians expected Emilio Pettersen to get his first match for Calgary way before Lilleberg.

Galroth

Jan 10, 2024
I remember Espn Knutsen from my old days of NHL video games... I guess was the most famous Norwegian player from be in an All Star game and the sadly story playing for Columbus. I always remember his name cause I saw some hockey games here by ESPN and never hear that name before.
Here, he only goes by his nickname "Shampoo" and he is my favourite Norwegian hockey player of all time. After his career, he has for about 17 yeras been a successfull coach and GM for his childhood club Vålerenga, one of Norways largest and best clubs. He recently moved to Switzerland, and his wife died there just a month or so ago.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Coop tonight:
"(That hit) changed the game for us. I honestly thought we were asleep in the first period. Quite frankly I was really disappointed. I think the players knew my feelings after the first, but when Lille stepped up and made that play, and I hope that kid's ok, it was a pretty clean hit, it's a physical game, but he kind of brought us into the fight in a game where like I said I felt we were not as engaged as we should have been, especially with our situation, so that was a big part of the game."
"You get looked at for that in a team. Hitting's still part of the game. You don't quite see them like that, but they've got a guy over there that's played here in Gudas that is, I've watched him do that for 12 years, and he basically took Cirelli out of the game for a little while, so there is a physical aspect still in this game. When you have it, you definitely feel a little better for yourself. Like I said, I think that helped ignite us a little bit."

Stamkos:
"Well he tried to do (a hit like that) Game 1 in Boston. So, he's not scared. Great for him. That's an element sometimes we miss when don't have a Cerny or a Sergy or a big body back there like we've had in the lineup regularly. He's stepped in and done a tremendous job. I mean I thought he did that in camp as well, and in some of the exhibition games. It may not be a goal or an assist, but it's gonna be something. The physicality he brings is big for us."

Reactions: fredrikstad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad