Emery sacked

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ceballos processes the game too slowly and does not break lines as advertised. He has no creativity or end product. Willock is so much better in the same role.
I don't agree, but I admit I very much dislike Ozil and players of the same breed. Ceballos is better, but what you're saying is because he tends to hold on the ball too long, which I admit is a weakness by him.

Also, I consider it very confusing when you say he has no creativity, like that's beyond wrong. It isn't to say he is better than Ozil in pure playmaking because he isn't, but saying he has none of it or end product is just not accurate at all. Ozil is one of the worst finishers in the world, he constantly tries to put the ball on his left foot and it makes him ridiculously easy to defend. The bloke wouldn't shoot if he had an empty net, but he had to shoot it on his right...he would rather probably circle and overpass it as he always does. He's a terrible player with terrible characteristics in how he plays game.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I don't agree, but I admit I very much dislike Ozil and players of the same breed. Ceballos is better, but what you're saying is because he tends to hold on the ball too long, which I admit is a weakness by him.

Also, I consider it very confusing when you say he has no creativity, like that's beyond wrong. It isn't to say he is better than Ozil in pure playmaking because he isn't, but saying he has none of it or end product is just not accurate at all. Ozil is one of the worst finishers in the world, he constantly tries to put the ball on his left foot and it makes him ridiculously easy to defend. The bloke wouldn't shoot if he had an empty net, but he had to shoot it on his right...he would rather probably circle and overpass it as he always does. He's a terrible player with terrible characteristics in how he plays game.

Ceballos has a bit of creativity from deep as a ball progressor but I have not seen much of it, probably in parts because he is struggling to adapt to the pace of the League and takes too long to make a decision. He never has had and probably never will have creativity or ability to unlock a defense or supply a final key pass that leads to a goal. Ceballos has 7 goals and 4 assists in 100 La Liga games, and 0 goals, 2 assists in the Premier League, that shows a lack of end product to me.

Özils has proven time and time again, even under the creativity killer that is Emery, that very few players in the world can create chances for teammates like he can. He is a bit too unselfish at times but his goalscoring record is still very good for a playmaker and comfortably better than Ceballos.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It’s similar to how I look at United.

They’re clearly deficient from a talent standpoint, but look up and down the roster and you’ll be hard pressed to find more than 3 or 4 players who you’d describe has playing at or above their potential. Most of the team is underperforming, which becomes extra glaring when you don’t have enough talent to begin with.
That's fair, there is no one on the team that is really overperforming at all, but I think their squad is 5th at best from a talent perspective. Considering the difference between 5th and 9th, where they sit right now, is 2 points, I don't think they have really underperformed in the table so far.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
That's fair, there is no one on the team that is really overperforming at all, but I think their squad is 5th at best from a talent perspective. Considering the difference between 5th and 9th, where they sit right now, is 2 points, I don't think they have really underperformed in the table so far.
Which 4 teams are better? Liverpool and City are better on paper, but no one else should be clearly ahead.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Tottenham and Leicesters first team are better better on paper. United and Chelsea are similar on paper.

Leicester? I could see the argument but I would not say so yet. Tottenham? Basically a toss upp, we have much better forwards, better fullbacks, a much better goalie and a defensive midfielder in Torriera that they clearly lack, but their central defence and creative midfield is better I would say.

United and Chelsea should be 5+ points behind us on paper.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I think Kane is better than Auba but Auba, Son, and Laca are all pretty similar talents.

Which makes Spurs better.

Not that it is a very interesting discussion. The table will show in the end. And as for neutral assessments of the two squads it was pretty clear during the summer that most, if not all, pundits, people on here etc. thought Spurs had the 3rd best squad in England before the season started.

Some Arsenal fans will disagree. The same way some Spursfans will exaggerate how much better the Spurs squad is.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I think Kane is better than Auba but Auba, Son, and Laca are all pretty similar talents.

Since 18/19

Aubameyang has 32 goals and 5 assists in 3991 minutes

Kane has 24 goals and 5 assists in 3592 minutes

So how is Kane better?

Looking at goalscoring records since Auba arrived in the Prem, the difference becomes a goal bigger. Aubameyang has outscored Kane in 17/18, 18/19 and 19/20, what does he have to do to be considered better? Change his passport to english? I also think Lacazette and Son are better than Kane.

According to transfermarkt, last season Lacazette had 23 g/a in 2502 minutes (13g, 10a), in comparison to Kanes 21 (17g, 4 of them penalties, 4 a) in 2427 minutes. Take away penalties and Lacazette had as many goals as Kane with 4 more assists, but what in my eyes makes Lacazette superior is his hold up play. Lacazette is one of the best strikers in the world at holding the ball up and bringing others into play, which Kane is not. Lacazette and Son are ultimate big game players, Kane seems to disappear in his big games. Remove penalty goals and Kanes goalscoring record is not worthy of being called an elite striker during the last 2 seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cassano

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
This was from March. I don’t think it’s gotten any better since.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
This was from March. I don’t think it’s gotten any better since.

Scored against Spurs, assisted against Liverpool, scored against United twice since then, in total playing 4 games, with 3 goals, 1 assist since then.

Reactions: S E P H

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
He deserved to go. But I don’t know how you fix the defense when the brain trust brought in a winger and midfielder, and Luiz was central defensive solution. I know Tierney, but he was bought knowing he wouldn’t be able to integrate him at all. A decent manager never sanctioned that transfer window

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He deserved to go. But I don’t know how you fix the defense when the brain trust brought in a winger and midfielder, and Luiz was central defensive solution. I know Tierney, but he was bought knowing he wouldn’t be able to integrate him at all. A decent manager never sanctioned that transfer window
They spent big on a winger who hasn't worked out, loaned a midfielder who has been mediocre at best, bought an aging central defender who was going to get passed over at Chelsea, and a fullback who will likely take some time to integrate into the Premier League.

David Luiz has never really been good at defending, but he has world class ball skills that Arsenal have proceeded to not really use. There seems to be some serious dysfunction between their transfer policy and the type of football they want to actually play.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
They spent big on a winger who hasn't worked out, loaned a midfielder who has been mediocre at best, bought an aging central defender who was going to get passed over at Chelsea, and a fullback who will likely take some time to integrate into the Premier League.

David Luiz has never really been good at defending, but he has world class ball skills that Arsenal have proceeded to not really use. There seems to be some serious dysfunction between their transfer policy and the type of football they want to actually play.

Luckily, we have a new coach that looks like he intends to play the offensive football Arsenal used to play, which should suit or players more. Tierney and Pepe look like they could become great signings, but Ceballos is playing incredibly bad and Luiz is not good enough. What I am happy about is that we signed two amazing young players that are among the very elite prospects in the world, and we seem to want to buy young going forward which is refreshing.

The board does not care about winning though, it is all about signing marketable players. We will probably sign another expensive attacking player next summer since they usually sell more shirts and tickets.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013

There was also some serious dysfunction between the progressive/attacking and high-intensity pressing tactics Emery claimed we would play vs the actual tactics we saw on the pitch. Now some of that may be on the players, but considering we've been playing a back 3 to "respect our opponents" against relegation teams, I'm going to assume that was an Emery issue.

For as much as Arsenal's defense sucks, they shouldn't have been conceding 20-30 shots to bottom half sides regularly. Combine that with Emery removing any semblance of creativity from the squad, and here we are.

Reactions: S E P H and AB13

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Was pretty funny to see all the line-up complaints against Emery only for Freddy to do similar (no Pepe, Saka and Torreira substitutes, Kolsanisic, Xhaha, Mustafi and Luiz pairing, etc).

Only 1 game but looked the same despite a new manager.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Was pretty funny to see all the line-up complaints against Emery only for Freddy to do similar (no Pepe, Saka and Torreira substitutes, Kolsanisic, Xhaha, Mustafi and Luiz pairing, etc).

Only 1 game but looked the same despite a new manager.

I mean he took over as interim manager, what, 24 hours before the game? I'm not going to pump his tires or anything yet, but it's not like he had a real chance to implement anything for that game.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I mean he took over as interim manager, what, 24 hours before the game? I'm not going to pump his tires or anything yet, but it's not like he had a real chance to implement anything for that game.
wasn't he Emery's assistant? I'm not trying to make this a Spurs/Arsenal convo but Mourinho jumped in and made positive changes from minute 1...

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
We bought Saliba, but you lot keep forgetting about that...

This is a lost season anyways, hopefully if we don't make the top four we stay in seventh and don't get any qualification for Europe. It is a risk since we might lose some players, but we will have all of next season to focus solely and strictly on the EPL title with new players, a new defensive line, and a new manager. I admit there is a lot of hope in all of this, though Liverpool had the same uncertainty with whoever your next manager was after you fired Rodgers.

wasn't he Emery's assistant? I'm not trying to make this a Spurs/Arsenal convo but Mourinho jumped in and made positive changes from minute 1...
For how long though? They haven't had a big test yet.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

I haven't watched Spurs apart from highlights since Mourinho's appointment, but while the results are thus far good they have given up 2 goals in every match to West Ham, Bournemouth and Olympiakos.

Reactions: S E P H

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2