Emery sacked

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
wasn't he Emery's assistant? I'm not trying to make this a Spurs/Arsenal convo but Mourinho jumped in and made positive changes from minute 1...

I'm not going to defend some temporary assistant who couldn't even get a W against the worst team in the league, but I don't think it's entirely fair to compare his situation to Mourinho's, who came in as a big name to make big changes. Personally I am holding off any expectations of this team changing until a real coach is brought in.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Ljungberg is cool I guess. Reminds me more of Hank Moody than a football manager though.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Oh does Saliba play for Arsenal right now? No? So then there’s another bonehead move. buy a defender and then loan them back. Thanks for just continuing to make my point. Emery isn’t the guy, but their front office did him no favors.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Signing players with huge potential for the future is considered a bone head move. Oh but Arsenal fans are delusional. Somehow making signings for the long term means the front office is incompetent.

Somehow it's delusional to think this squad is good enough for top 4. How many of you smart asses picked Leicester to be in the top 4 when the season began?

Reactions: S E P H and AB13

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Oh does Saliba play for Arsenal right now? No? So then there’s another bonehead move. buy a defender and then loan them back. Thanks for just continuing to make my point. Emery isn’t the guy, but their front office did him no favors.

Saw this stat in november, Saint Etienne had won 11 out of 13 games with Saliba in Ligue 1 during 2019, a win percentage of 84.6%, conceding just 6 goals in those 13 games, 0.46 goals against per game.

Since Saliba has struggled with injuries, Saint Etienne have played 19 Ligue 1 matches in 2019 without Saliba starting, winning just 5 of those – meaning their win rate drops to 26.3%.
In those games, they have conceded 28 goals at an average of 1.47 per game.

William Saliba is 18 and has possibly been the best CB in Ligue 1 this year, and he will develop more playing in a competent defense compared to playing with Arsenal. Signing Saliba is looking like one of the best moves the club has made in over a decade. Arsenal had to loan him out for Saint Etienne to accept the offer.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Possibly? Ligue 1? What is it with all this humbleness?

I used to respect the none compromising AB13.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This is one of the worst posts I've read on a long time here. I mean, you have a right to bash at Arsenal's defensive woes, but to call buying one of the best up and coming defensive prospects as a bonehead move because we had to loan him back for one season is utterly ridiculous.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
This is one of the worst posts I've read on a long time here. I mean, you have a right to bash at Arsenal's defensive woes, but to call buying one of the best up and coming defensive prospects as a bonehead move because we had to loan him back for one season is utterly ridiculous.

Not to mention loaning him back was likely smart for his long term development. He is being productive for a familiar club and is missing all of the turmoil and defensive woes that are plaguing the current Arsenal squad.

Great for his growth

Reactions: S E P H

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Spurs signed Sessegnon, doesn't get any game time, cost as much as Saliba and no one bats an eye.

And b4 someone said Arsenal need CBs - it's true. Spurs need fullbacks too. All of theirs are terrible.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Except it’s not. Having crap all for defense most likely got your manager fired.

spend the money on players who will help the team win now, or the people picking them will be gone before they can enjoy it. I realize that might be hard to comprehend on a site that literally in the name has to do with prospects, but futures are only good for that hope down the road. Arsenal has a clear flaw in their defense and they didn’t spend to fix it. Buying a defender and having him tear it up on loan doesn’t do anything but make your club look foolish now and get the manager whacked. Maybe even the brain trust that picked the players. Then where are you?
They bought a winger, Luiz and a guy they had to loan to France. By all means, keep doing that. Enjoy the Europa.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Except it’s not. Having crap all for defense most likely got your manager fired.

spend the money on players who will help the team win now, or the people picking them will be gone before they can enjoy it. I realize that might be hard to comprehend on a site that literally in the name has to do with prospects, but futures are only good for that hope down the road. Arsenal has a clear flaw in their defense and they didn’t spend to fix it. Buying a defender and having him tear it up on loan doesn’t do anything but make your club look foolish now and get the manager whacked. Maybe even the brain trust that picked the players. Then where are you?
They bought a winger, Luiz and a guy they had to loan to France. By all means, keep doing that. Enjoy the Europa.

The defence was not Emerys main problem, although the defensive record was poor. The main problem was the ultra conservative tactics which and lack of offensive creativity and tactical variation in possession, which led to us not scoring enough. Emery conceded as many as Lampard before being sacked, but despite having a lethal front three and a much better attack to work with than the likes of Rogers and Lampard, did not score much at all, since he is a coward who does not allow offensive freedom. This has happened at every team Emery has been at, after all Mbappe scored 13 League goals under Emery, before scoring 33 his first season under a new manager.

Loaning put Saliba was what got the deal done, and it will probably mean he develops more. Every Arsenal fan is happy about it.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
We've just seen a Liverpool fan go full Pejorative Slur again.

Arsenal isn't in win now mode. The whole plan was that Emery was a transition manager that would hopefully make it to top 4 while they assess the situation after his contract expired. Which is why they made signings more for the future. Or else Arsenal would end up with the likes of N'Zonzi and Banega on the team.

Reactions: AB13

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Spurs signed Sessegnon, doesn't get any game time, cost as much as Saliba and no one bats an eye.

And b4 someone said Arsenal need CBs - it's true. Spurs need fullbacks too. All of theirs are terrible.

Sessegnon has been injured for a while to be fair.

And I don't think Ben Davies has been terrible. Aurier seems to be turning it around thanks to Mou too (but I still think we need to bolster both sides).

I'm not defending Chimaera or anything. What he is saying is ridiculous. Just thought I'd share my take on what you said.

Reactions: Cassano

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I feel like people are truly underestimating how much worse Arsenal's defense was under Emery this year. Was he given the players to make the defense great? No. But should this defense be giving up 2o shots per game? Absolutely not.

Reactions: AB13

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I feel like people are truly underestimating how much worse Arsenal's defense was under Emery this year. Was he given the players to make the defense great? No. But should this defense be giving up 2o shots per game? Absolutely not.

A lot of us expected that they would be pretty poor. Not that poor of course. But Arsenal fans put a lot of faith in Holding and Luiz. Had some goofs saying Pepe was comparable to Mane. All of that is seemingly unwarranted to this point.

The idea Emery would take Arsenal to achieve their goals was always quite ludicrous. As stated here many times he never took Sevilla to their goal of finishing fourth in the table. Don't even know where his next job will be. Probably at the clown car called Valencia.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
To be fair Pepe was comparable to Mane when it looked like he was going to Liverpool :D

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

Arsenal spent years buying win-now players, largely attacking players of course, and the main thing both fans and opponents agreed on was that the only way for the team to turn around was to focus on youth and build up from that with a view to the long-term. The Saliba move was clearly a move in that direction and I think it's the epitome of silliness to criticise them for that. Luiz was obviously meant as a stop-gap and it's a move I wasn't a huge fan of and have no intention of defending.

But - Arsenal were clearly not going to be challenging this year, the goal was to stay in that top group and maybe luck into a CL spot. Emery led them into not even being in a Europa spot, so saying "enjoy the Europa" is a pretty weak insult :laugh:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Saliba was certainly a great buy for the future. He just has zero relevance to the mess that is their defense today.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Saliba was certainly a great buy for the future. He just has zero relevance to the mess that is their defense today.
They've conceded the same amount as Chelsea. Our problem is scoring goals and midfield play.

CBs haven't been great, but they are far from the biggest problem when you're getting outshot 31-7.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The main discussion, which I responded with Saliba was that we bought "nobody" last window...specifically at defence. Luiz, even with all his problems was still a solid buy. The problem is we had another anti-defender in Sokratis and to date they don't work well. Holding just came off of major ACL injury and will go through good and bad stretches. As I will mention multiple times, there was never any build up of chemistry or form for our club due to amount of changes to the first team week in and out by Emery.

Which I still highly disagree with, the amount of Pepe hate is insane here. We've seen many players' go through transitional phases during their first EPL season. Call him a bust two years from now, not six months for a player who's confidence got absolutely destroyed by Emery's constant changes'.

Our starting XI, should look like this and I doubt you'd find my Arsenal fans disagreeing with it...

Auba - Lacazette - Pepe
Ozil/Ceballos
Torriera - Guendouzi/Willock
Tierney - Luiz - Holding - Chambers/Bellerin
Leno
Then when some of these players are tired, you change them out with the likes of Nelson, Saka, Martinelli, Smith-Rowe, and Nketiah.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The main discussion, which I responded with Saliba was that we bought "nobody" last window...specifically at defence. Luiz, even with all his problems was still a solid buy. The problem is we had another anti-defender in Sokratis and to date they don't work well. Holding just came off of major ACL injury and will go through good and bad stretches. As I will mention multiple times, there was never any build up of chemistry or form for our club due to amount of changes to the first team week in and out by Emery.

Which I still highly disagree with, the amount of Pepe hate is insane here. We've seen many players' go through transitional phases during their first EPL season. Call him a bust two years from now, not six months for a player who's confidence got absolutely destroyed by Emery's constant changes'.

Our starting XI, should look like this and I doubt you'd find my Arsenal fans disagreeing with it...

Auba - Lacazette - Pepe
Ozil/Ceballos/Nelson
Torriera - Guendouzi/Willock
Tierney - Luiz - Holding - Chambers/Bellerin
Leno​
I agree that's early to write off Pepe but to put it solely on emery is not really fair. Since, he looked piss poor finishing from the start and that really isn't on the coach.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I agree that's early to write off Pepe but to put it solely on emery is not really fair. Since, he looked piss poor finishing from the start and that really isn't on the coach.
I am not going to debate at all because you are right, but to figure out what happened I would say that he got inside his own head due to some easy misses. That then snowballed into a snowman until finally he scored, looked good at the beginning of November, and then was sent to the bench as a sub player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad