Player Discussion Emerson Etem

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Always the famous last words for a middling NHL'er. Who is Etem going to supplant?
lets get some more games in to see who he could supplant. He wasn't brought here to be in the press box. Our first few months our roster was dramatically different from the last 2 months of the season.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
lets get some more games in to see who he could supplant. He wasn't brought here to be in the press box. Our first few months our roster was dramatically different from the last 2 months of the season.

Well he was brought here in a cap dump, to be precise. And Im sure Ranger management envisioned this as a possibility, especially when they also signed Stalberg.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Well he was brought here in a cap dump, to be precise. And Im sure Ranger management envisioned this as a possibility, especially when they also signed Stalberg.

Plus also a player with higher offensive potential than Hagelin. Whether he ever becomes that player, I get a feeling he don't. Still no reason why he can't become a solid top 9 guy. It sucks we can't send him to Hartford. We both know him sitting in the press box doesn't help his progression. Kind of the same situation with Mcilrath in some ways.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Plus also a player with higher offensive potential than Hagelin. Whether he ever becomes that player, I get a feeling he don't. Still no reason why he can't become a solid top 9 guy. It sucks we can't send him to Hartford. We both know him sitting in the press box doesn't help his progression. Kind of the same situation with Mcilrath in some ways.
Somewhat, but one can argue that McIlrath can and should be in. Etem has demonstrated absolutely nothing that would signal that he should be in the lineup.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Somewhat, but one can argue that McIlrath can and should be in. Etem has demonstrated absolutely nothing that would signal that he should be in the lineup.

I have wanted Mcilrath in since game one. Dan Boyle never should have been signed in the first place.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Getting back to Etem--the coaching staff really has to get this kid going and into the lineup, if only to make some team willing to trade for him. Right now, I don't think he has any trade value at all. Why give up something, when a team can just wait for him to be put on waivers?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Getting back to Etem--the coaching staff really has to get this kid going and into the lineup, if only to make some team willing to trade for him. Right now, I don't think he has any trade value at all. Why give up something, when a team can just wait for him to be put on waivers?

the ducks couldnt get him going. they sent him packing.

were in the same boat. hes the same player. i dont think he has much value really. better to just keep him and hope he suddenly starts to get it. and sadly, thats wishful thinking.

in the end, he was the best we could get for a f/a salary dump.

i wasnt a fan when he was drafted, wasnt a fan when he was a duck and wasnt excited when he was acquired but i understand why it happened.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Etem has two possibilities regarding his future playing style...

He can become a Kreider-lite... Driving the net, using that shot and stick skills to bury the puck... He'll never have good vision, but he's got the tools, and knows how to play steady defense...

OR

He can become John Moore on Forward... Never utilizing those tools to their fullest extent. Always trying to think the game at the correct pace but never getting there. Always trying to do too much or too little...

This coaching staff has proven themselves time and time again... I think Etem can become that Krieder lite, but right now he's in a tough spot.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Etem has two possibilities regarding his future playing style...

He can become a Kreider-lite... Driving the net, using that shot and stick skills to bury the puck... He'll never have good vision, but he's got the tools, and knows how to play steady defense...

OR

He can become John Moore on Forward... Never utilizing those tools to their fullest extent. Always trying to think the game at the correct pace but never getting there. Always trying to do too much or too little...

This coaching staff has proven themselves time and time again... I think Etem can become that Krieder lite, but right now he's in a tough spot.

I think you're underestimating John Moore: he's only a year(+) older than Etem and has already played over 250 NHL games, while Etem hasn't managed to hold down a regular spot in the lineup 5 years after he was drafted. That's not good. And now he's only on the NHL roster because he's waiver eligible. Moore may not have lived up to his potential to this point, but Etem is way behind him. And the clock is ticking--Moore has a multi-year contract and will be playing in the NHL next year.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I dont think he should play. Dont strengthen our team compared to moore, stoll, lindberg, miller,fast and staalberg.

Glass, etem and mcilrath should be scratched if no players are injured. I said this last season aswell but we need to trade staal. Slow and a bad transition player. Yandle and klein have been our best defensemen so far and i think diaz should get a chance. He is a great skater, good shot, decent defender and a very good passer.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I dont think he should play. Dont strengthen our team compared to moore, stoll, lindberg, miller,fast and staalberg.

Glass, etem and mcilrath should be scratched if no players are injured. I said this last season aswell but we need to trade staal. Slow and a bad transition player. Yandle and klein have been our best defensemen so far and i think diaz should get a chance. He is a great skater, good shot, decent defender and a very good passer.

agreed with your last statement.

Etem will get his chance. It pays to have depth like him. He's cheap, coachable, talented, and willing to play. he may not have put it all together, but he still has time to do that.

I love Miller, but Etem is more talented than him, and if he ends up playing Miller out of a spot, then Miller can be dangled as trade bait as well..

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC

Etem will get his chance. It pays to have depth like him. He's cheap, coachable, talented, and willing to play. he may not have put it all together, but he still has time to do that.

I love Miller, but Etem is more talented than him, and if he ends up playing Miller out of a spot, then Miller can be dangled as trade bait as well..

No way Etem stays over Miller. I really could not see this happening, Miller will be a part of this team for years to come.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Something about this fella just seems off.

I don't think he lasts long.

Time will tell, with our cap-situation we could know sooner rather than later...

He is in a tricky situation when he cannot play in the AHL. I've said this before, and with the risk of looking stupid because EE could be gone any time soon, I actually like the kid pretty much. I don't at all think he is as "stupid" as have been said. I think he plays a pretty solid hockey game.

For whatever reason when given a chance this preseason and season -- maybe he is a bit out of shape, he looked easily gassed, maybe he is struggling a bit learning the new system, maybe his unit as a hole just wasn't very good -- he didn't make any kind of impression. I get that many do the math 1+1=2. Bad reputation + zero impact, despite some talent = headcase.

But I still see a kid who is pretty dangerous both as a shooter and as a set-up man whenever he gets the puck close to the net, I see a player that plays a pretty solid 2-way game and tries to do the right things on the ice, etc etc etc. He has good size, when he gets the puck with ice in front of him he can really take off. Every camp a vet comes in and just makes zero impression too. And we all go like, well X didn't show anything this camp but he will play anyway. And the same of course can be said looking at any minor segment of the regular season. Of 20-25 players, odds are that a few here and there will do nothing for shorter period of time and be pretty under the ice in general. I feel more like Etem this camp was that type of player, but since he isn't proven here he didn't get a chance from the get-go.

He put himself in quite the hole, but I still kind of feel that I at all wouldn't be surprised if Etem soon got a chance and took it and became a good player for us. The competition is really tough though so it won't be easy for him.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Time will tell, with our cap-situation we could know sooner rather than later...

He is in a tricky situation when he cannot play in the AHL. I've said this before, and with the risk of looking stupid because EE could be gone any time soon, I actually like the kid pretty much. I don't at all think he is as "stupid" as have been said. I think he plays a pretty solid hockey game.

For whatever reason when given a chance this preseason and season -- maybe he is a bit out of shape, he looked easily gassed, maybe he is struggling a bit learning the new system, maybe his unit as a hole just wasn't very good -- he didn't make any kind of impression. I get that many do the math 1+1=2. Bad reputation + zero impact, despite some talent = headcase.

But I still see a kid who is pretty dangerous both as a shooter and as a set-up man whenever he gets the puck close to the net, I see a player that plays a pretty solid 2-way game and tries to do the right things on the ice, etc etc etc. He has good size, when he gets the puck with ice in front of him he can really take off. Every camp a vet comes in and just makes zero impression too. And we all go like, well X didn't show anything this camp but he will play anyway. And the same of course can be said looking at any minor segment of the regular season. Of 20-25 players, odds are that a few here and there will do nothing for shorter period of time and be pretty under the ice in general. I feel more like Etem this camp was that type of player, but since he isn't proven here he didn't get a chance from the get-go.

He put himself in quite the hole, but I still kind of feel that I at all wouldn't be surprised if Etem soon got a chance and took it and became a good player for us. The competition is really tough though so it won't be easy for him.

this exactly this. the guy doesnt need to prove it overnight. Maybe it takes him a half a season. First time hes been traded new system the kid could be uncomfortable. They didnt just trade hagelin for nothing they like what they see in this kid. Our scouts have been pretty good lately. So this could work out he just has to stay with it....and maybe not cough the puck up on the boards in the Ozone thats by far my biggest complaint about the kid.

Don Jaroodi*

wait, what??

no

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
wait, what??

no

Honestly... What has Miller done so far this season to warrant a spot in the top9? He has 5 assists. Great. Lindberg has 4 goals but that doesn't make him a top9 guy. It was a hot start. I worry a lot about Miller's defense. He is -2 while Lindberg and Stalberg are +5 and +6. Those are the guys he has played with the most.

BearishRiggs

Mar 21, 2013
Honestly... What has Miller done so far this season to warrant a spot in the top9? He has 5 assists. Great. Lindberg has 4 goals but that doesn't make him a top9 guy. It was a hot start. I worry a lot about Miller's defense. He is -2 while Lindberg and Stalberg are +5 and +6. Those are the guys he has played with the most.

And you think Etem is any better defensively?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad