Player Discussion Emerson Etem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Hope the suit is ready for the weekend.

At least he had shorter shifts in the 2nd (only one in the 3rd).

I'm a fan of his long-term, but agreed that tonight was not his best effort. He did well against middle of the pack teams, but going against one of the better teams in the league exposed that he still has work to do.

Still, two-steps-forward-one-step-back is to be expected, and I remain encouraged.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Scratched again.

I thought he was the worst player on his line last night but I'd have kept him in for another game.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
If you're going to be a top6 forward, you have to be able to defend. Etem is somewhere between being liable-irrelevant on the defensive side of the game right now.

He got down right embarassed by Tarasenko last night and then shortly after Pietrangelo deked him out at the point and got by him. He almost cost the club a goal and the game could have turned out differently.

He didn't follow up his best game of the season very well and probably deserves the scratch.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Tentative with the puck last night.

Good move taking him out. He's got to be more consistent and play more of a mans game on both sides of the puck. If you watch his junior highlights he's a completely different player with a different confidence about his game. Not sure if he got his bell rung while he was with Anaheim, but he stops skating with the puck when he gets close to defenseman.

Of course the NHL is a huge jump from juniors. This is something where he needs games and time to get confident with the puck, but he needs to stay on it. Seems like he out thinks himself out there sometimes. He's got all of the skill you need to play the game - just hoping he's not a wasted practice player.

Needs to build on the good games, not regress at this point in his career.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Etem stinks. Get Moore back in there. At least Hagelin ******** the bed in Anaheim makes this deal a little easier to swallow.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
etem is the same player he was in socal. exactly.

he was a healthy scratch frequently and saw limited 4th line duty regularly when he did play.

he hasn't changed much from last etem

dumb as rocks
has zero clue what to do away from the puck
and almost zero clue what to do with the puck

will occasionally have a great shift or period then go back to dumb etem. he can have flashes but not nearly enough.

he's the worst forward on the roster followed closely by the other dope- vik stalberg.

guys like moore, stoll, lindberg and fast are smarter, more productive and play better within this system.

can we undo that trade, get back hags and give them etem and gropp.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

he was a healthy scratch frequently and saw limited 4th line duty regularly when he did play.

dumb as rocks

will occasionally have a great shift or period then go back to dumb etem. he can have flashes but not nearly enough.

he's the worst forward on the roster followed closely by the other dope- vik stalberg.

guys like moore, stoll, lindberg and fast are smarter, more productive and play better within this system.

Would you then pay Hags the 4 year/16 mil deal he'd want?

I wouldn't.

That's the reason he got traded in the first place. You don't think the Ranger brass wanted to keep him if possible?

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Would you then pay Hags the 4 year/16 mil deal he'd want?

I wouldn't.

That's the reason he got traded in the first place. You don't think the Ranger brass wanted to keep him if possible?

In a perfect world, the Rangers keep Hagelin, but we all know why he was traded.

Many here are missing him because the player they got back has been pretty bad from day one. If Etem could at least crack the lineup on a regular basis and be even a little productive things might be different.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
In a perfect world, the Rangers keep Hagelin, but we all know why he was traded.

Many here are missing him because the player they got back has been pretty bad from day one. If Etem could at least crack the lineup on a regular basis and be even a little productive things might be different.

Silly either way because Stalberg does literally EVERYTHING Hags does for 1/4th of that cap hit.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England

dumb as rocks

Hagelin sucks with a huge contract. We dodged the bullet there. This reminds me of all the crying after Callahan was let go; would anyone take him back with that contract and that production? Back to Hagelin, I'll take Stalberg and Etem with their contracts over Hagelin every time. Same game, much better contracts and much more flexibility.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
It's so ridiculous when you see people with the idea that Hagelin was traded for Etem. Hagelin was traded for Etem, Pick And CAP SPACE.

Guess what the most important part of that deal was?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It's so ridiculous when you see people with the idea that Hagelin was traded for Etem. Hagelin was traded for Etem, Pick And CAP SPACE.

I prefer Etem at 850k over Hagelin at 4.5m and nothing Hagelin does or did in previous years changes that. You wouldn't pay 9m for Zuccarello so why pay 4.5m for Hagelin?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

If the most important part of the trade was cap space, why not just waive Hagelin lol

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If the most important part of the trade was cap space, why not just waive Hagelin lol

Cap space wasn't the most important thing. In my opinion, the most valuable return was the moving up in the draft. People can disagree with the pick of Ryan Gropp, because there were so many more "flashy" forwards still available. Sprong, Forsbacka-Karlsson, Greenway and Bracco were some of them. And some D-studs that fell outside the 1st round in Pilon, Kylington and Cernak. However, Ryan Gropp was selected and I am very confident the Rangers picked the best available player for our system.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Cap space wasn't the most important thing. In my opinion, the most valuable return was the moving up in the draft. People can disagree with the pick of Ryan Gropp, because there were so many more "flashy" forwards still available. Sprong, Forsbacka-Karlsson, Greenway and Bracco were some of them. And some D-studs that fell outside the 1st round in Pilon, Kylington and Cernak. However, Ryan Gropp was selected and I am very confident the Rangers picked the best available player for our system.

Yeah that's kinda my point.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
In a perfect world the Rangers keep Hagelin, but it's not a perfect world and so they tried to get some value for him.

Etem has a lot of tools, but right now, he doesn't look like he has a clue on how to be an NHL player. Something tells me he gets it in a few years and is a late bloomer. We'll see if it's here and actually benefits the Rangers.

As for Gropp, he's an interesting case. One the one hand, I can't help but feel at least a little disappointed with his season thus far. And yet, he's still on pace for 41 goals over a 72 game WHL season. Still, I think he'll be fine.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Ready to give him a shot with Stepan and Kreider. AV clearly doesn't think Miller has solidified his spot there. Hayes at wing completely irritates me, even if it's in the top-6. Let Etem run there for two games in a row, see what he can do off of the fourth line.

Not to get too off-topic, but it's not a coincidence that McIlrath's best game this season was the latter half of a back-to-back he played. Was the only time he had two games in a row.

I'll I'm saying, is give Etem a chance.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

dumb as rocks

Agreed. Really down on this kid. I don't care if he's got a great skill set and is a physical specimen. He stinks. A guy like Stoll has maybe half of his talent physically and is a lot older yet he's positionally sound and gets his nose into everything and to the net. I cant recall Etem at the net, like ever.

At least Stalberg shows some fire out there and is engaged. On and off the ice Etem acts like a sulking 9 year old that is pissed because he has to take the garbage out. Whats the deal with that? Wake the **** up and play some hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad