Player Discussion Emerson Etem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Is Etem playing with Brass and Zucc seriously that much of a stretch to you?

Honestly, I kind of agree. If Rangers management is serious about staying in contention, they need to acquire a proven forward to play with two of our best forwards, not put an AHL player with limited NHL experience there.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Honestly, I kind of agree. If Rangers management is serious about staying in contention, they need to acquire a proven forward to play with two of our best forwards, not put an AHL player with limited NHL experience there.

The reason Etem was suggested there was because I said that I hope he can become a Pouliot clone, and that's why the ensuing response had Etem on that line. It wasn't just a random suggestion, it was based on my scenario being reality.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I'm looking forward to the Etem experiment. Hagelin didn't make his NHL debut until Etem's age now, so their NHL points comparison, isn't exactly fair. The thing that I like most about Etem is that even with the potential he shows in flashes, he doesn't appear to be an enigmatic player inbetween. We'll be seeing effort, we'll be seeing some physical play, and I think he'll still be useful even while being in a scoring drought. Most of the "potential" guys are giving you nothing inbetween their sporadic points. I think Etem will start off on the 3rd line, and occassionally move up when needed -- Kind of like Hagelin. If he matches Hagelin's rookie total of 14 goals, I'd consider the trade a success, and expect bigger things from him the next year.

I agree, I really think Etem has a shot at a top 6 spot if he works hard and plays well for the Rangers.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
It's interesting, to say the least, how much discussion there is of moving Etem into the top 6 and Fast and/or Miller out of it considering how the PO's went last year, and how Etem's career has gone thus far.We lost Hagelin. I think the best hope for the best NYR team is his spot and Glass's spot will be filled by Etem and Lindberg

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think most people would be thrilled with that kind of production (especially if it came consistently and not in bunches).

With that said, I think the point totals are on the high end. I don't think 14 goals is too far fetched, but I think 30-35 points is a more realistic top-end for this season if Etem progresses.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
I don't see Etem getting anywhere near 47 points. Then again I don't get paid to give point productions out. I'm thinking 11 goals 20 assist MAYBE.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
47 points is just absurd. I'm rooting for Etem, but he sucks unfortunately. Nothing between his ears.
He just turned 23 two months ago. People give up on players way to fast. Guy still has a ton of talent, who knows if he can put it all together but I certainly wouldn't come to the conclusion that "he sucks" when he's played about as much as Miller in the NHL.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I don't think it's possible to predict how many points Etem will get--he has to learn a new system, get used to new linemates, deal with a new city and conference. Hope he's working hard over the summer.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Nope. He's been dropped down to the 2nd line after last seasons numbers in order to accommodate an unproven former 1st rounder in the hopes he becomes the next Pouliot.
Fantastic idea. It's gonna be big. Big.

I don't really like Nash with Brassard and Zucc. I'd rather put him with Stepan and Kreider.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't really like Nash with Brassard and Zucc. I'd rather put him with Stepan and Kreider.

I think there are a few things to consider. Splitting up the size on the team is important. You don't want all the small players playing together. You also want to pair passers with shooters. Brass and Zucc really need to play together because Zucc's the most passive of the wingers and Brass is the most willing shooter of the centers.

I'd like for Kreider to play with Brass and Zucc. That pairs a pure power forward scorer who's not really looking to pass with an all around center who shoots and passes well with a creative pass first winger. Thats really good balance of strengths, weaknesses and different physical statures on one line.

Nash, Stepan and Miller/Stepan (depending on whether you want Hayes on the wing), can be the other top 6 line.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I think there are a few things to consider. Splitting up the size on the team is important. You don't want all the small players playing together. You also want to pair passers with shooters. Brass and Zucc really need to play together because Zucc's the most passive of the wingers and Brass is the most willing shooter of the centers.

I'd like for Kreider to play with Brass and Zucc. That pairs a pure power forward scorer who's not really looking to pass with an all around center who shoots and passes well with a creative pass first winger. Thats really good balance of strengths, weaknesses and different physical statures on one line.

Nash, Stepan and Miller/Stepan (depending on whether you want Hayes on the wing), can be the other top 6 line.

I think Miller gets a shot with Nash and Brassard, while Zucc slides next to Kreider and Stepan.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
JT Miller: 114 GP, 15G, 18A, 33P
Emerson Etem: 112 GP, 19G, 14A, 33P

These players are eerily similar in production.

Total minutes.
JT Miller: 1291:22
Emerson Etem: 1193:44

Points per 60 minutes per season.
JT Miller
2012-13: 0.39
2013-14: 0.78
2014-15: 1.51

Emerson Etem
2012-13: 1.26
2013-14: 1.54
2014-15: 1.20

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Brass-Zucc
Step-Kreider should be the duo. I think nash will go back with brass and zucc. While fast slides in with step and Kreider. Leaving miller with hayes and Etem IMO.

I'm not sold on Nash with Brass and Zucc. Kreider with those two has not been tried yet, and I'd like it to at least be given a try.

Kreider and Stepan play well together, but I don't think its so well that they can't be split up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad