Player Discussion Emerson Etem

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I was really disappointed in the deal, because I love Hagelin even if he doesn't put a lot up on the scoreboard. But, the cap creates those situations and what's done is done.

I'm really hoping Etem can find some of that potential with a change of scenery and system. The good thing, whether he can find the back of the net or not, is that he plays hard every shift and uses his body on the forecheck. That was something this team needed... maybe not so much "toughness" but physicality.

With all of the similarities being talked about between Miller and Etem, if they can both take a step forward this season the team can be in really good shape with it's depth. Maybe Brass and Zucc can help Etem elevate his game (since they seem to be able to do that with anyone who plays with them) allowing Nash to get back with Kreider and Stepan. Nash spoke in the past how he loves to play with Kreider because his speed and physicality really opens the ice for him with Step providing the 2 way support. That single top 6 spot is really going to be up for grabs so someone has to step up their game to fill it and if that player is Etem, this trade becomes a big win with the added pick as extra.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I was really disappointed in the deal, because I love Hagelin even if he doesn't put a lot up on the scoreboard. But, the cap creates those situations and what's done is done.

I'm really hoping Etem can find some of that potential with a change of scenery and system. The good thing, whether he can find the back of the net or not, is that he plays hard every shift and uses his body on the forecheck. That was something this team needed... maybe not so much "toughness" but physicality.

With all of the similarities being talked about between Miller and Etem, if they can both take a step forward this season the team can be in really good shape with it's depth. Maybe Brass and Zucc can help Etem elevate his game (since they seem to be able to do that with anyone who plays with them) allowing Nash to get back with Kreider and Stepan. Nash spoke in the past how he loves to play with Kreider because his speed and physicality really opens the ice for him with Step providing the 2 way support. That single top 6 spot is really going to be up for grabs so someone has to step up their game to fill it and if that player is Etem, this trade becomes a big win with the added pick as extra.

I agree, and that 41st pick was Gropp, and i'm not saying he will, but if he is able to hit his potential... then look out.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
If he just fill that middle 6 JAM roll we good. What's ironic is we need a guy that used to be our entire team.
A guy that can go out play the body and be a hard guy to play against. A guy like dubby or cally. If he doesn't score as much that's ok cause we really couldn't afford to keep Hagelin anyways.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If Etem pots 15 next year that will be a successful season for him IMO.

Agreed. A ton of his production is going to have to come 5v5 unless over the course of the season he forces his way onto the PP, I just don't see the spot for him 5v4 right now. 10-15 goals via 3rd line minutes at ES isn't exactly cake to get to. He, Hayes, and their other winger (hopefully JT because we get an actual RWer for Stepan, but I digress) can get good zone starts and drive offense with each other.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
Bet he outscores Miller this year at the very least. I'll put him down for 22 minimum. But will guess at 27.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Bet he outscores Miller this year at the very least. I'll put him down for 22 minimum. But will guess at 27.

Remember when I say that people put Miller down for 50-60 points easy last off-season and no one believes me?

Well, this is the reason why.

You have Etem pegged at 22 to 27 goals? Seriously? Or did you mean points?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Did I miss when a rule was made that states we can't discuss advanced stats in player discussion threads?

I don't think I ever said anything about rules. Just I know a lot of people like to avoid that silly advanced stats thread for a reason. A couple posters like to continue to cram it down our throats in every other thread like it means anything.

Etem will be an assest for this team, and I didn't need some silly formula to predict that for me.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I don't think I ever said anything about rules. Just I know a lot of people like to avoid that silly advanced stats thread for a reason. A couple posters like to continue to cram it down our throats in every other thread like it means anything.

You can say the same thing about pretty much everything you post.

Etem will be an assest for this team, and I didn't need some silly formula to predict that for me.

Read me more tarot cards pls witch doctor.

BarbaraAlphanse

If Etem outscores Miller, obviously pending usage, I would be beyond shocked.

People rip on Miller's bad decisions...

I see Miller solidifying a top 6 role this year.

Kreider-Stepan-Miller

Etem, I believe will struggle to solidify a 3rd line role, and spend much of half of the season up and down from the 3rd line, to the 4th, to be a healthy scratch.

At which point I think he grasps the system better after a few months, and starts perform like Benoit Pouloit did when everything clicked for him.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Hoping for a Pouliot clone. That would be sweet. I can live with questionable decision making if he can be a forechecking presence, possession driver and provide around 15/15.

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Hoping for a Pouliot clone. That would be sweet. I can live with questionable decision making if he can be a forechecking presence, possession driver and provide around 15/15.

If he played like Pouliot that would be unreal, then that could even give the Rangers an option to put Etem with Zucc and Brass, then put Nash with Kreider and Stepan.

Wouldn't mind a top 6 of

Etem - Brass - Zucc
Kreider - Step - Nash

as long as Etem can produce well.

Then I guess the bottom 6 would(without Glass) look like...

Stalberg - Hayes - Miller
Lindberg - Dom - Fast

or something like that.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Yeah, if a simple mention of dCorsi, g/60, and two hero charts has you up in arms a bit, definitely keep avoiding the stats thread :laugh:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Apparently his best play comes from when he's a RW. I wonder if AV will accommodate this into the lineup.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Apparently his best play comes from when he's a RW. I wonder if AV will accommodate this into the lineup.

Someone would have to move to left... but we have solid wing depth in my opinion:

Left:
Nash, Kreider, Stalberg, Lindberg/UFA 4th liner

Right:
Zuccarello, Etem, Miller, Fast

We do need one more left winger, preferably a right shot guy who can play off wing on the PP... Miller and Etem both work well on the RW, Stalberg makes a strong 4th line given he's a decent 3rd line player

If he played like Pouliot that would be unreal, then that could even give the Rangers an option to put Etem with Zucc and Brass, then put Nash with Kreider and Stepan.

Wouldn't mind a top 6 of

Etem - Brass - Zucc
Kreider - Step - Nash

Lindberg - Dom - Fast

or something like that.

If that were the case I would try this:

Nash-Stepan-Miller
Zucc-Brassard-Etem
Kreider-Hayes-Stalberg (I know he is a LW, but perhaps he would be tried here)
Lindberg-Moore-Fast
Bourque

Absolutely cap compliant

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I like Etem, his skill set and work ethic. I think he has the capability to do some nice things but im not going to anoint him the second coming of Pouliot in this system until I see it.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
I don't know anything about Etem. I just hope he does not take stupid penalties, is defensively responsible, and can score 10 goals.

MacTruck27

May 17, 2014
If Etem plays like Pouliot that means a lot of ridiculously stupid offensive zone penalties. If he's going to do that, he better be scoring A LOT.

I don't see why we he needs to play in the top 6 either. I think Kreider-Stepan-Miller or Kreider-Stepan-Fast and Zucc-Brass-Nash were pretty damn good last year with top 6 minutes.

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Someone would have to move to left... but we have solid wing depth in my opinion:

Left:
Nash, Kreider, Stalberg, Lindberg/UFA 4th liner

Right:
Zuccarello, Etem, Miller, Fast

We do need one more left winger, preferably a right shot guy who can play off wing on the PP... Miller and Etem both work well on the RW, Stalberg makes a strong 4th line given he's a decent 3rd line player

If that were the case I would try this:

Nash-Stepan-Miller
Zucc-Brassard-Etem
Kreider-Hayes-Stalberg (I know he is a LW, but perhaps he would be tried here)
Lindberg-Moore-Fast
Bourque

Absolutely cap compliant

Semin. :nod:

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
If Etem plays like Pouliot that means a lot of ridiculously stupid offensive zone penalties. If he's going to do that, he better be scoring A LOT.

I don't see why we he needs to play in the top 6 either. I think Kreider-Stepan-Miller or Kreider-Stepan-Fast and Zucc-Brass-Nash were pretty damn good last year with top 6 minutes.

Fast really shouldn't be in the top 6 yet, he is better suited for a role with Hayes, or even more so with Dom, where he can utilize his defensive game. Fast still needs to get better offensively before playing in the top 6.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY

Wouldn't mind a top 6 of

Etem - Brass - Zucc
Kreider - Step - Nash

Lindberg - Dom - Fast

or something like that.

Dear god. There is a reason why Etem was dealt for the negotiating rights to Hagelin. How on earth has he skyrocketed to the 1st line?
Talk about drinking the cool-aid. The kid has done jack at the NHL level. Slow it down... just a little. And until Glass is dealt you have to write him down in the bottom 6.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
I'm looking forward to the Etem experiment. Hagelin didn't make his NHL debut until Etem's age now, so their NHL points comparison, isn't exactly fair. The thing that I like most about Etem is that even with the potential he shows in flashes, he doesn't appear to be an enigmatic player inbetween. We'll be seeing effort, we'll be seeing some physical play, and I think he'll still be useful even while being in a scoring drought. Most of the "potential" guys are giving you nothing inbetween their sporadic points. I think Etem will start off on the 3rd line, and occassionally move up when needed -- Kind of like Hagelin. If he matches Hagelin's rookie total of 14 goals, I'd consider the trade a success, and expect bigger things from him the next year.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Dear god. There is a reason why Etem was dealt for the negotiating rights to Hagelin. How on earth has he skyrocketed to the 1st line?
Talk about drinking the cool-aid. The kid has done jack at the NHL level. Slow it down... just a little. And until Glass is dealt you have to write him down in the bottom 6.

Is Etem playing with Brass and Zucc seriously that much of a stretch to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad