GDT: Emergency GDT: Pens vs. Wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well if we didn't trade for Hornqvist and used our money in free agency for another winger for Geno, what would Sid have been left with on the wings?

Hornqvist contributes to this team in ways that Neal never could while providing similar offense.

Kunitz is in our top 6 regardless. We have Bennett. And as we saw with Perron, options do open up mid-season. That's without considering other potential moving parts like Scuderi and Sutter.

I'd have rather built on what we already had with Malkin than bugger up his line to try to find chemistry for Sid.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
I have a feeling that Despres being moved was about more than just his on-ice capabilities. There had to be someething going on behind the scenes that we're not being made aware of.

It was. Off-ice problems and something to do with a "lack of trust". Mike Johnston didn't want him and was more responsible for his availability then anyone else.;)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Why is he delirious then if our previous GM was on record shopping him previously?

Because Shero doesn't have a habit of losing trades and didn't settle for a lesser defenseman who was 8 years older.

Trading Despres could have been justified pending the return. This one clearly didn't stack up.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Because Shero doesn't have a habit of losing trades and didn't settle for a lesser defenseman who was 8 years older.

Trading Despres could have been justified pending the return. This one clearly didn't stack up.

Despres as a 3rd piece in a deal for Kesler is hardly a better return for him than trading him in a one for one deal for a D-man the organization feels helps them more the next couple years.

And I really wanted Kesler here.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Today was discouraging, I was hoping these games were a thing of the past.

It's been discouraging as a whole. A team as talented as ours shouldn't be spending that much time in the box. It's crippling more than anything. People often seem to forget that the more time we spend killing penalties = more time Sid and Geno are sitting on the bench.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Kunitz is in our top 6 regardless. We have Bennett. And as we saw with Perron, options do open up mid-season. That's without considering other potential moving parts like Scuderi and Sutter.

I'd have rather built on what we already had with Malkin than bugger up his line to try to find chemistry for Sid.

So you're suggesting Rutherford should have reassembled a line that was blanked on the previous season so as to avoid trading Neal for a better player?

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

I just really disagree. I think you're underestimating what Hornqvist brings.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
Despres as a 3rd piece in a deal for Kesler is hardly a better return for him than trading him in a one for one deal for a D-man the organization feels helps them more the next couple years.

And I really wanted Kesler here.

it would've been more tolerable to me, despres' value then was lower, and kesler is a better player than lovejoy is. when you get the best player out of the deal, you sometimes have to overpay with lesser pieces.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
So you're suggesting Rutherford should have reassembled a line that was blanked on the previous season so as to avoid trading Neal for a better player?

The Neal trade is a moot discussion at this point as far as I'm concerned. Neal has been anything but inspirational this season with the Preds, which just goes to show you first-hand just how much he was riding Malkin's coat-tail. Hornqvist may not as be as talented a natural goal-scorer, but at least when he's not scoring he's doing at least half a dozen other things to benefit this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad