GDT: Emergency GDT: Pens vs. Wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I still think his Ehrhoff signing was stupid and unnecessary, and I still wouldn't have dealt Neal. I'd much rather have had Neal and a complementary Kulemin beside Malkin than Hornqvist and Ehrhoff.

Perron was good, and he made some nice depth moves. But he's been very much hit and miss with me.

I was indifferent about the Neal for Horny/Spaling trade but today I'm completely applauding the move. Hornqvist is showing night in and night out just how much more he brings to the table aside from just point production. In my opinion he's the kind of winger we've been needing but missing for a long time. Meanwhile Spaling has turned out to be a solid bottom-six player.

Erhoff was a gamble in the end. He was a puck-moving d-man that has shown his ability in the past, but JR probably figured he could regain his top form if put into a situation where less pressure and expecations were placed on him. UNfortunately it hasn't turned out as well as hoped. Luckily we're not stuck with him for much longer.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
In relation to Lovejoy, it can be safely assumed that both Botterill and Guerin have a strong positive opinion on him. Keep in mind those two also convinced Shero not to trade Pouliot for Kesler last Spring because they considered him untouchable and Shero didn't make that trade.

Shero was accountable then, too.

For the record, I don't want anybody in the current organization to be the team's GM moving forward. I just hate this recent trend of absolving a GM of his dumb moves because of assistant GMs' input.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I was indifferent about the Neal for Horny/Spaling trade but today I'm completely applauding the move. Hornqvist is showing night in and night out just how much more he brings to the table aside from just point production. In my opinion he's the kind of winger we've been needing but missing for a long time. Meanwhile Spaling has turned out to be a solid bottom-six player.

Erhoff was a gamble in the end. He was a puck-moving d-man that has shown his ability in the past, but JR probably figured he could regain his top form if put into a situation where less pressure and expecations were placed on him. UNfortunately it hasn't turned out as well as hoped. Luckily we're not stuck with him for much longer.

It was an unnecessary gamble, AB. Even if it had worked out exactly as JR planned, we didn't need another god damn PMD.

We didn't.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
That's not JR's fault. Sid has the weapons he needs. It's up to him to find the chemistry and adapt his game as necessary.

I agree with this. With Perron we really can't beat the same old excuses anymore. From December to February it was clear as day that Sid himself just wasn't playing at his own level.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Shero was accountable then, too.

For the record, I don't want anybody in the current organization to be the team's GM moving forward. I just hate this recent trend of absolving a GM of his dumb moves because of assistant GMs' input.

The organization has not been very high on Despres for quite some time. It's pretty obvious that move was an organizational decision. Obviously, JR pulls the trigger, but calling him some delirious old man for making it is a bit ridiculous.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Reasons why we lost this game. No Malkin, discipline, refs being refs, our bottom six not scoring again.

Trading Despres for Lovejoy has literally nothing to do with it.

Yeah, I don't understand it either. Yesterday people were complaining too and Lovejoy was responsible for our best scoring chance. The tap in Kunitz missed was as a result of a 2 on 1 Lovejoy set up.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Dude, it's called a mercy pull. Literally every team in the NHL does it in similar situations.

Dude...you are posting without knowing what you are talking about.

Literally no team has handled a goalie like Fleury has been handled.

I had no objection to pulling him...nor did anyone

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The organization has not been very high on Despres for quite some time. It's pretty obvious that move was an organizational decision. Obviously, JR pulls the trigger, but calling him some delirious old man for making it is a bit ridiculous.

Nobody else did. JR did.

So you want Sid with Kunitz and Dupuis?

That doesn't follow. There are a lot of things I'd like to have seen done differently.

I don't think this iteration of the Pens should be giving anyone confidence in the direction of the team.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Going into the post-season my biggest concerning isn't even fitness, or our star players being able to play like star players. It's actually this team's ability to stay disciplined and stay out of the box. We've been a compelete cluster **** all season long in terms of being able to play a smart, composed brand of hockey.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
There was also uncertainty about Maatta's shoulder.

Yes, that as well. Thanks for reminding me lol

That being said, we can now see why JR only bit on a 1 year deal for him, as he knew that he likely wouldn't require his services beyond that point. Especially not with Pouliot and Dumoulin getting closer to being NHL ready.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
One can make the argument we did with the loss of NIskanen though...

There's also always that looming, underlying fear that Letang's health issues might resurface agian.

How about Dupuis' health issues and our overflowing defense prospects?

One can make an argument for anything. I don't think our strengths and weaknesses supported it.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
That doesn't follow. There are a lot of things I'd like to have seen done differently.

Well if we didn't trade for Hornqvist and used our money in free agency for another winger for Geno, what would Sid have been left with on the wings?

Hornqvist contributes to this team in ways that Neal never could while providing similar offense.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
Going into the post-season my biggest concerning isn't even fitness, or our star players being able to play like star players. It's actually this team's ability to stay disciplined and stay out of the box. We've been a compelete cluster **** all season long in terms of being able to play a smart, composed brand of hockey.

Other than the Caps game, we haven't been THAT undisciplined, have we? Not as bad as we have been under Bylsma in any case.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada

I have a feeling that Despres being moved was about more than just his on-ice capabilities. There had to be someething going on behind the scenes that we're not being made aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad