GDT: Emergency Game Day Thread! Game 3 of round 2 vs the Blues. Series tied 1-1. 6:00PM MST

Best meat type?

• Beef

Votes: 40 38.5%
  • Chicken

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • Pork

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Fish

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Venison

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Human

Votes: 20 19.2%

• Total voters

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Not his fault but still hilarious

FTVGv_LXsAEq1FW

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
While yes the first two instances were fine, though I'd argue even with a 3rd stringer against Dallas, they choked a lead with 3 mins left which was a meltdown, but what was the excuse for Vegas last year?

The loss in game 2 this year was exactly what happened against Vegas, no effort, got dummied etc.

To their credit this year they addressed the issue right away instead of letting it snowball. Now they have to continue the evolution and find a killer instinct. It's time to kick a team while they are down.
If you read my post again it should be obvious to you that I left out the Vegas series because I believe that one was one series they blow completely and I consider it a total failure.

If you thought the first two were fine then why include them in your comment as if this is a very bad streak? Again it only looks like a bad streak if people disregard the context around those two series losses.

JudoKoala

The Ghost of Joe Sacco
Aug 10, 2020
Toronto
To add to above, even with MacDermid in the lineup, I don't think that would be a deterrent for a guy like Perron or Schenn to accidentally on purpose skate hard into Kuemper, which is the thing I'm most worried about for the remainder of the series.

I mean, they had all game last night to run into Kuemper. They didn't. In fact, after the Binnington injury, it seemed evident to me that both teams were reeling themselves in to prevent further injuries. I don't see what would change between then and tomorrow TBH. They'll be rough and nasty, no different from what I would expect, Binnington injury or otherwise.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
MacDermid can try to forecheck like a demon, but let's be honest, he's not going to catch anyone.

Avs don't have time to play the retaliation game. That's the easiest way to lose focus and lose the series. We play them 4 times next regular season and we can give a nice greeting to Barbashev then.

If you saw a consistent pattern throughout the game of Blues taking liberties and affecting our confidence with the puck, then maybe I could see MacDermid drawing in. But as it stands, I highly doubt we will see MacDermid in Game 4 except maybe as bodyguard for post game interviews.
During latter part of the regular season he did quite well as 4 LW and caught a number of people, especially D-men, on the forecheck. Having MacD in the lineup is not "playing the retaliation game," it is being prepared for a bLose team whose coach went beyond professionalism in a press conference regarding Naz.

Having a reserve Dman dressed in case one of ours goes down is a bonus.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Just finished watching Game #3 now as thunderstorms took out our power since 5pm last night.

Overall, I think the Avs played an average game - far from their best - but still managed to win. The first period was pretty bad and they gradually got better but I think they need to shoot more and stop looking for the perfect play. The officiating was comically bad - from the hit that caused the Girard injury to the hit that led to the Binner injury to the interference non-call that led to the blues 2nd goal - I thought it was awful all night long.

Sounds like Dizee is living rent free in some of ya'lls heads the amount of times you talk about him on here.

It's not rent-free - he is paying with his tears.

100% agree here. Look at the faces of the other players on the bench in the sportsnet clip. All very uncomfortable and awkward about mackinnons attitude in that situation. How hard would it be for Mack to get as fired up and competitive and pissed as he wants and yell “that face off is on me boys, lets get it back.” You can get really REALLY fired up and competitive without it becoming a detriment to the team. He doesn’t need to reign in his competitiveness at all but he does need to learn how to “aim” it for the benefit of the team.
You guys are making too big of a deal of this. MacKinnon knows that faceoffs are not his strong suit. He knows that and his coach SHOULD know that. So if he's going out there and losing to one of the best faceoff guys in the league and it leads to a goal, it's going to piss him off and RIGHTFULLY SO.

Those saying he needs to stop bitchin' and get better on faceoffs - really? The guys is 'pretty good' already at a lot of things but let's put this CLEAR coaching mistake on him? It's the playoffs and mistakes are going to be magnified. That's just the way it is. All in all, this is a non-story and it's going to blow over. Nate's an emotional guy and Bednar is a robot - so nothing will come of this.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
Found the Sportsnet segment about Nate and Bednar Round 2. Nate has to cut this shit out. If he's actually yelling at Bednar for the face-off he's a mess. Even if he shouldn't have been out there, just win the damn face-off. Or at least don't lose it clean. ROR wasn't on his strong side either.

You were 4-10 on facoeffs and you've never been good at them. Blamming others for your own mistakes is a losers mentality. Try getting better at face-offs instead of blaming your coach for asking you to take them. Tired of him taking out his frustrations on everyone else when he's not pulling his weight.

thank you for this... now u gonna get crucified... but i agree with u 100%

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
My issue with Mack arguing with Bednar on the bench is not the argument itself but the way he does it. It shows no respect to the coach to the entire world. IMO if you really need to do right away instead of waiting after the game the proper way to do it would be by looking away. The players do that all the time with refs. Nobody likes to be yelled at for everybody to see it. Nobody likes to be shown disrespect.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
Holy shit that was a terrible hit on Sammy... Hit in the back, left his feet.

How was that not even a penalty?

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Found the Sportsnet segment about Nate and Bednar Round 2. Nate has to cut this shit out. If he's actually yelling at Bednar for the face-off he's a mess. Even if he shouldn't have been out there, just win the damn face-off. Or at least don't lose it clean. ROR wasn't on his strong side either.

You were 4-10 on facoeffs and you've never been good at them. Blamming others for your own mistakes is a losers mentality. Try getting better at face-offs instead of blaming your coach for asking you to take them. Tired of him taking out his frustrations on everyone else when he's not pulling his weight.

Meh, that literally much to do about nothing, IMO. Neither one is yelling at the other. They are merely having a discussion about the F/O, which you can tell Mack wasn't happy about taking.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
ngl, I did not like that hit on Binnington... if that same play had happened to DK, I'd be livid.

Having said that, if what happened to Sammy was just an "unfortunate hockey play" then I won't lose sleep over it.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
ngl, I did not like that hit on Binnington... if that same play had happened to DK, I'd be livid.

Having said that, if what happened to Sammy was just an "unfortunate hockey play" then I won't lose sleep over it.
My issue is there is ZERO blame being placed on Rosen, who is just as much at fault. It's like to Stl. fan Rosen wasn't even part of the play.

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
Sammy is definitely more susceptible to injury from bigger players, that's true.

But the dude literally hits him in the shoulder blade and leaves his feet for a good 15 or so inches horizontally. That was not a good hit.

View attachment 550621
We all know if Kadri did that same thing it'd be 5 and a suspension for the rest of the playoffs.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
My issue is there is ZERO blame being placed on Rosen, who is just as much at fault. It's like to Stl. fan Rosen wasn't even part of the play.
Blah blah history blah blah intent. When they can't rely on facts, and evidence (and there is plenty of it supporting Kadri's case) they rely upon narratives and "feels".

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I don’t see any issue with the kadri/Binnington coming together. If kadri didn’t go for that puck we’d be losing our minds. Just a hockey play with a unfortunate outcome. Shit happens :dunno:

Reactions: wayninja

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017

That's a very good point, he's going for the puck just as recklessly as Kadri is. Shit can happen with that kind of fight that close to the goalie.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I don't agree with that. Yeah the top line didn't score, but they still played a big part in turning the game around.

The Blues had a great first 10 minutes or so and were winning the matchup battle, but then Bednar re-united the top line and the Avs started to tip the balance of the game again, dominating the game from the middle of the 1st until the middle of the 3rd when they started playing the clock with smart defensive hockey.

View attachment 550425

The line-specific possession metrics below tell an even clearer picture.

The top 2 lines at the start of the game were a combined 6-11 in Corsi (in blue below), with both of them losing their matchups.

After the line changes both lines won their matchups (in red and yellow). That change was a big reason why the Avs won, and credit to Bednar for changing things up as early as he did to shake things up. It clearly worked.

View attachment 550429

Thanks for posting. I’m glad Bednar reunited them, once Berube moved Buchnevich up to their top line that really unbalanced their roster - he was actually their most impactful player this year. If he’s going to keep that line together with O’reilly then Bednar has to keep Landeskog on the top line

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
Next game will be real physical. The blues will be finishing their hits and the Avs will have to repond by doing the same. I feel their is a retribution factor but it won't show itself as long as the game is close because winning the game and series is first priority. Where it will come is if the team losing big in the series ending game. Or it might come next season but it will happen at some point. Hockey players don't have short memories.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad