Emelin kicked out, Foligno nothing... Tort is mad Habs 2-1

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
No, we don't.

With star players, it's very noticeable when a player isn't at 100% since the difference between their worst and their best is so much bigger than say Byron's best/worst. We've seen these players be sharp on the ice, skate well, make good decisions. And we've seen them do it for a long time 9 games out of 10. We are able to differentiate a bad game here and there with a prolonged streak of weak ass play.

For example, people have been saying Subban has not played great hockey this season. They're right. Tonight, he was excellent though. He didn't even get a star, many said he should have got the first star. He was sharp, skating well, strong on his skates, quick high IQ passes, few if any obvious brain farts. And Subban only has 1 assist to show for it tonight. But it's not about the points.

It goes beyond points and any other statistical "rational arguments". It's easy to see when a player is floating a lot and making bad passes regardless of their stats. And Pacioretty has not been himself for a while regardless of the points and goals.

But I'll give Pacioretty a lot of slack. First of all he lost Gallagher, and Plekanec has not been a huge help with his so-so play and lack of imagination. Secondly, his injury likely prevented him from training the way he is used to. Also, he has a more defensive role this season than he had in the past playing with DD. Finally, he has to adjust to the pressure of being the captain. There are lots of factors at play here. All in all, we can't be too critical of Pacioretty. But those who say he's not playing well are definitely not being irrational. They know what they see.

I agree mostly. I'll say Subban held onto the puck a little too long at times....but at least it never ended up as a giveaway. On Pacioretty, his play this year has een solid, and offensively he is still producing at a near PPG pace. But yes, you can tell there is another gear or two that he can go, and he should be able to reach it by the end of the season. They are playing well, we just know they can offer a little more

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Beaulieu didn't see the ice again until the 3rd period. He went through the concussion protocol between the 2nd & 3rd. By the time his penalty was done there was only 55 seconds left in the period. He went from the box to the bench to the dark room with no playing time in between.

He was not knocked out. He was stunned, but never lost conciousness. Should he have left the ice right away to seek medical attention? Probably. But, that's not MT's fault. And, he's right in the sense that Beaulieu wasn't going to further injure himself sitting in the penalty box.

Concussions are serious issues, but all this drama over Beaulieu sitting in the box/bench while not playing is silly. They're just trying to harrass MT.

Well exactly. What's the point of keeping Beaulieu in the penalty box if you know he'd probably wouldn't even play in the rest 2nd period after his penalty is expired. Why not putting him in the dark room right after the fight, the team would be 2 defensemen down for the rest of the period anyways.

You don't need to be knock out to have a concussion. You can clearly see his knee bent when he received a punch on the chin. That's way enough to concuss a guy.

Also, MT comments about sitting in the penalty box for 7 minutes with all the sounds, lighting is the same thing as sitting in the dark room is absolutely moronic. I hope you didn't buy that aswell.

Bottom line, the spotters didn't do his job. MT looked like a moron in the press conference by avoiding legitimate question about the safety of his own player.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
And I missed the replay on Emelin's hit last night. Just had a closer look and holy hell that was bad. Should have been two minutes for interference on a night where the ref just learned his wife is cheating on him, but that's about it.

Even the main board agrees it was a bad call. That's pretty telling if you ask me.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
It's a tennis tradition. I see it happen all the time when they do post match interviews on the court.

I always wonder what they do with those lenses. Is there a market for it?

And yes, that's subban's best game in a long time.
i always thought thrre was a glass piece infront of the lense for them to sign. I never thought thry actuslly sign the lense itself.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
You can bring all the stats you want but if you're actually paying attention to the games, he's generally playing bad. It's like you don't even watch the games and just look at the scoreboard and the stats.

That doesn't make sense at all. We're not even talking about these players here. Don't know why you feel the need to bring them up. We're talking about performance on the ice, not on the scoreboard nor the stats sheets.

Performance on the ice for a goal scorer. The main aspects of their performance on the ice requires to get on the scoresheet. Hense goal scorer. WOW! What a revelation :laugh:

I agree with you, he hasn't been Hossa-esque like he was last year, but he is still producing against the toughest matchups possible. That means his on ice performance is still acceptable. He won't be like this all season long... he's proven it several times before that he starts off "slow" (This without even taking into account he didnt have a freaking pre season), much like subban.

And I gave the Seguin and Tavares reference because this guy was arguing that Patches got a lot of his goals on empty netters.... well so did these guys and yet, they are praised for it. Very valid point imo.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
I missed the game last night. I only watched the highlights. Why did Therrien revert back DD-Patch-Weise line? looking at the highlights (and please correct me if I'm wrong, cause I know highlights does not paint the whole story) it seemed to me that DD was struggling. Was MT rewarding DD for something I missed?

And why the hell was Emelin ejected? I mean, yes it was a late hit, however, I would say a clean one, shoulder to shoulder, no?

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Ugly win but we'll take it.

Depiste scoring the GWG, Pacioretty and his line have been pretty bad the last couple of games. Plekanec is leading the team in points but I can't say he's been better than Galchenyuk and Desharnais.

Nice seeing Beaulieu step up for Fleischmann. Give some, get some. Probably even more respected in the room after that.

I missed the game last night. I only watched the highlights. Why did Therrien revert back DD-Patch-Weise line? looking at the highlights (and please correct me if I'm wrong, cause I know highlights does not paint the whole story) it seemed to me that DD was struggling. Was MT rewarding DD for something I missed?

In fact, Plekanec was pretty bad yesterday and created nothing except from bad angle shots. I guess Therrien wanted to have more offensive punch by reuniting Desharnais and Pacioretty.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

Depiste scoring the GWG, Pacioretty and his line have been pretty bad the last couple of games. Plekanec is leading the team in points but I can't say he's been better than Galchenyuk and Desharnais.

Nice seeing Beaulieu step up for Fleischmann. Give some, get some. Probably even more respected in the room after that.

In fact, Plekanec was pretty bad yesterday and created nothing except from bad angle shots. I guess Therrien wanted to have more offensive punch by reuniting Desharnais and Pacioretty.

He should already be respected cause it's not the 1st time he steps up for his teammates, one of the few with balls.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Which hit was worse? Emelin's 5 minute interference of Foligno's no penalty knee? The league won't do it as to not embarrass their refs but it would be great if Foligno was at least fined for that dangerous attempt.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

He gave Pleks a more defensive mission, hence switched up Pacioretty and Fleischmann. Also Byron and DSP alternated on RW on that line.

Pleks didn't seem to have it offensively yesterday, maybe he wasn't 100% and the coaching staff knew that.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Which hit was worse? Emelin's 5 minute interference of Foligno's no penalty knee? The league won't do it as to not embarrass their refs but it would be great if Foligno was at least fined for that dangerous attempt.

I believe that Emelin will probably have no supplemental discipline as he did avoid hard contact.

I believe that Foligno will get a fine.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
He gave Pleks a more defensive mission, hence switched up Pacioretty and Fleischmann. Also Byron and DSP alternated on RW on that line.

Pleks didn't seem to have it offensively yesterday, maybe he wasn't 100% and the coaching staff knew that.

Or wasnt happy with his play which is why he received less ice time then DD and Galchenyuk

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
I was fortunate enough to attend the last two games.

I was also unfortunate enough to attend the last two games. Of all the games to get tickets to it had to be arguably the two most boring games :shakehead

Sometimes it's when you lose someone that you truly realize his value. Both teams played a tight defensive game. Jersey has underrated defensemen and are quite structured. Columbus has poor defenders but the team compensates with a good level of physicality and aggressiveness. I felt the Habs controlled both games due to their superior depth and defense, but that spark was missing. A top six guy who can bring energy when the team lets off the pedal a little. Byron, Thomas, Flynn, DSP are honest players but just aren't in the same class as Gally when it comes to giving the team a boost of energy mixed with a decent dose of skill.

Plekanec and Pacioretty are not the most creative players, nor the most intense guys around, but they are very efficient with and without the puck. We're lucky to have them. I thought swapping Pac and Flash was a good move yesterday. The Plekanec line and the DD line weren't playing bad, but it felt like they were just going through the motions. The switch appeared to wake them up a little and I felt both lines played better and with more energy afterward.

Last point, PK is a boss. It's a treat to watch him live, as he does so many things just better than everyone. We know how well he moves the puck, shoots, it and handles it; one thing that isn't talked about much is how good he is along the boards. He's not always conventional, like when he shields the puck with one hand on his stick, but he's incredibly effective. I can't count how many times it looked like he would lose a board battle only to come out with the puck and make the perfect decision with it, be it skating it out, passing it, chipping it or lobbing it. No wonder the coach he gets so much icetime.

Go habs go! :yo:

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Yep, secondary assist.

They have the entire play on RDS.ca :

http://www.rds.ca/videos/hockey/lnh...adiens-le-but-gagnant-de-pacioretty-3.1164203

What a play by Subban to keep the pressure on past the blue line. DD also made a great play for us to keep possession. Some very nice passes by everyone on the ice for that goal to happen.

Thank you! I was looking for that video. The guys at Antichambre were talking about that play by Subban yesterday. Simply amazing.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
Both awfully reliable in tough minutes vs top lines and still near PPG. No reason to split them up unless it's to put together an offensive juggernaut duo of Patch-Galch

The way I see it. For the better of the team they are fine together but for Patches it's not. I explain; Plekanec gets the job done plays solid two way hockey finds a way to get his points... The problem is Pacioretty needs a play maker someone that completes his game! It's okay for now the team is winning but Patches needs the puck delivered a certain way. Plekanec is unable to deliver those passes. It's funny Pacioretty s expression changed soon as DD was on his line. Pacioretty likes to play a certain way DD allows him to play that style. Like a point guard and a shooting guard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad