Emelin kicked out, Foligno nothing... Tort is mad Habs 2-1

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
That was after 3 minutes of drilling from the typical suspects, Cantin and Gagnon, and he was frustrated. And FWIW, its not Therrien's job to pull a guy from the penalty box because he thinks he got a concussion.

Absolutely, but the questioning was fair. Concussions are THE subject in pro sports right now. Mononc' Mike is just pissed that they are on his case. Cantin and Gagnon were doing their jobs. Mononc' Mike was just irritated because Montreal is not exactly clean when it comes to following the protocol.

It's not his job for sure, but if he had a doubt, he should have done it. Unless he wasn't following the game and the fight. Which I doubt. Fact of the matter is: Mononc' Mike is more old school and he wants to win. At all costs.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Absolutely, but the questioning was fair. Concussions are THE subject in pro sports right now. Mononc' Mike is just pissed that they are on his case. Cantin and Gagnon were doing their jobs. Mononc' Mike was just irritated because Montreal is not exactly clean when it comes to following the protocol.

It's not his job for sure, but if he had a doubt, he should have done it. Unless he wasn't following the game and the fight. Which I doubt. Fact of the matter is: Mononc' Mike is more old school and he wants to win. At all costs.

This is the problem.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I thought Pleks started playing better when he was put with Flash. Ditto for Flash too. That 3rd line of DD, Flash & Weise hadn't been playing well for awhile. Flash & Weise both played better in the 3rd wheh they were split up. Weise had some good hits.

I really really liked Beau & Subban together. I hope to see them again. I also liked Gilbert with Petry. Markov's defensive play has really fallen off lately. At this point, I'd play him on the bottom pairing with Pateryn. I doubt that happens.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Wow.

Ive heard dumb comments from him before but that may have taken the lead

The comment was juicier in French:

"Être assis au banc de punitions, être assis dans chaise berçante dans la chambre noire, pas grand chose de différent."

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The comment was juicier in French:

"Être assis au banc de punitions, être assis dans chaise berçante dans la chambre noire, pas grand chose de différent."

I'd love to hit Mike in the head with all my strength to give the ****er a concussion.

Tell me he didn't say that.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc

No doubt, the first question was fair. The second one too. The third was was pushing a bit. The fourth, and all the other ones, were just a waste of everybody's time.

They asked the same ****ing question for 3-4 minutes. No wonder he was tired of it in the end.

And no, b1p, its not MTs job to try to figure out if the guy has got a concussion. First, because he's got a ******** of other things to think about, and second, because they pay professionnals to do that.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Watch the full press conference... that quote was taken out of context...

Nobody has time to watch the full press conference but they'll have all the time to take a quote out of context that they read on Twitter and proceed to call Therrien a heartless stupid *******.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Only time this team scored was when they had DD as secondary scoring (ie 12/13, a lot of this season, part of last season when Galchenyuk was with Pacioretty).

It's not like the team is losing, why MT so eager to juggle now.

Columbus is a catalyst for the DD-Therrien romance to flourish. DD's shootout goal during his epic slump was against Columbus. Therrien is preparing for another similar DD breakout to give the man a nice fat paycheck from us in a contract year, subconciously. He must smiled that DD was on the ice for the final goal even though it was mostly Subban doing the work to make the goal even possible.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
No doubt, the first question was fair. The second one too. The third was was pushing a bit. The fourth, and all the other ones, were just a waste of everybody's time.

They asked the same ****ing question for 3-4 minutes. No wonder he was tired of it in the end.

And no, b1p, its not MTs job to try to figure out if the guy has got a concussion. First, because he's got a ******** of other things to think about, and second, because they pay professionnals to do that.

There's a reason why reporters ask the same question over and over again: it's because their counterpart is not answering. And Mike was skating around the subject, because he knew he would get drilled on the matter. Donald Beauchamp probably warned him he would get drilled on it. And his first answer looked fabricated. When push came to shove, he got flustered.

Reporters did their jobs for once. I'm not criticizing them one bit. I would have done the same thing. I did it many times, heck with guys like Parizeau. A great journalism teacher told me when I was in school that you know, as a reporter that you have hit the nail when your subject agressively charges you verbally. When it happened during those types of media scrums, I would always get a rush, because I knew I had done my job.

Let's all remember, again, that Montreal has been accused before of neglecting to detect concussions before. Under Therrien. Reporters know that.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Knees got out from under him for christ sakes :laugh: Nobody went "maybe he shouldn't be on the bench with these loud noises, bright lights and having to skate back on the ice after the penalty"

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Nobody has time to watch the full press conference but they'll have all the time to take a quote out of context that they read on Twitter and proceed to call Therrien a heartless stupid *******.

I listened to the conference and the quote was still a stupid one. Reporters did their job. THAT is what they should be doing more often when covering this team. Unfortunately, they don't.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Fact of the matter is: Mononc' Mike is more old school and he wants to win. At all costs.

This is the problem.

No question about it. Further to the onslaught of questions about how Beaulieu was handled, how his knees buckled and how that should have prompted the concussion protocol to immediately come into effect, how Beaulieu should have headed to the dressing room and not the penalty box, Therrien finally retreated behind the shroud of medical clearance that was obtained between the 2nd and 3rd period.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
There's a reason why reporters ask the same question over and over again: it's because their counterpart is not answering. And Mike was skating around the subject, because he knew he would get drilled on the matter. Donald Beauchamp probably warned him he would get drilled on it. And his first answer looked fabricated. When push came to shove, he got flustered.

Reporters did their jobs for once. I'm not criticizing them one bit. I would have done the same thing. I did it many times, heck with guys like Parizeau. A great journalism teacher told me when I was in school that you know, as a reporter that you have hit the nail when your subject agressively charges you verbally. When it happened during those types of media scrums, I would always get a rush, because I knew I had done my job.

Yep. Thats what they should do.

I hate Gagnon with a passion too, but he's one of the only guy that has the ball to do his job, good or bad.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Beaulieu didn't see the ice again until the 3rd period. He went through the concussion protocol between the 2nd & 3rd. By the time his penalty was done there was only 55 seconds left in the period. He went from the box to the bench to the dark room with no playing time in between.

He was not knocked out. He was stunned, but never lost conciousness. Should he have left the ice right away to seek medical attention? Probably. But, that's not MT's fault. And, he's right in the sense that Beaulieu wasn't going to further injure himself sitting in the penalty box.

Concussions are serious issues, but all this drama over Beaulieu sitting in the box/bench while not playing is silly. They're just trying to harrass MT.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Goals constitute mere seconds of an entire player's icetime. What they are doing for the rest of minutes on the ice matters too. Pacioretty's good at scoring goals off the rush, but he has no savvy on the level of an Ovechkin, Tavares, Malkin, or vintage Crosby.

Obechkin, 1st overall
Tavares, 1st overall
Malkin, 2nd overall behind Ovechkkn
Crosby, 1st overall

You expecting Pacioretty to be at the level of these guys is comical. None of those guys played in the minors while Pacioretty needed a couple of seasons of seasoning. 22nd overall pick has developed into a 35-40 goal man.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I don't mind if they question about the protocol but what annoys me is the way Philipe Cantin is almost getting aggressive in those press conferences. I guess he took it really bad and personal when Bergevin confronted him at the end of the last season , asking him if he could explain what system we play.

After that incident he seems always in search of confrontation, always second guessing stuff .
Maybe is just me ...

OpenIceHit

Oct 3, 2006
Toronto
Beaulieu didn't see the ice again until the 3rd period. He went through the concussion protocol between the 2nd & 3rd. By the time his penalty was done there was only 55 seconds left in the period. He went from the box to the bench to the dark room with no playing time in between.

He was not knocked out. He was stunned, but never lost conciousness. Should he have left the ice right away to seek medical attention? Probably. But, that's not MT's fault. And, he's right in the sense that Beaulieu wasn't going to further injure himself sitting in the penalty box.

Concussions are serious issues, but all this drama over Beaulieu sitting in the box/bench while not playing is silly. They're just trying to harrass MT.

This. Exactly.

So easy to take a few words out of context and create a storm. Nowadays people get offended about everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad