Emelin kicked out, Foligno nothing... Tort is mad Habs 2-1

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
Beaulieu didn't see the ice again until the 3rd period. He went through the concussion protocol between the 2nd & 3rd. By the time his penalty was done there was only 55 seconds left in the period. He went from the box to the bench to the dark room with no playing time in between.

He was not knocked out. He was stunned, but never lost conciousness. Should he have left the ice right away to seek medical attention? Probably. But, that's not MT's fault. And, he's right in the sense that Beaulieu wasn't going to further injure himself sitting in the penalty box.

Concussions are serious issues, but all this drama over Beaulieu sitting in the box/bench while not playing is silly. They're just trying to harrass MT.

Exactly this. Y'all are funny. Beaulieu goes straight from the penalty box to the dark room, gets cleared by doctors, and you are bashing MT??

:laugh:

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Regretably missed this one...so is the blender back? Or was MT just working his confusing magic because they really needed it tonight?

From what I can gather:

Pacioretty - DD - ?
Fleishman - Plekanec - ?
Eller - Galchenyuk - ?
Byron - Flynn - Thomas

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So did DD and Weise get promoted to the first line or did Pacioretty get demoted to the 2nd/3rd line?

According to Bergeron on DM, MT left an open door when asked if the new lines would stay over to next game, by answering "it's possible".

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There's a reason why reporters ask the same question over and over again: it's because their counterpart is not answering. And Mike was skating around the subject, because he knew he would get drilled on the matter. Donald Beauchamp probably warned him he would get drilled on it. And his first answer looked fabricated. When push came to shove, he got flustered.

Reporters did their jobs for once. I'm not criticizing them one bit. I would have done the same thing. I did it many times, heck with guys like Parizeau. A great journalism teacher told me when I was in school that you know, as a reporter that you have hit the nail when your subject agressively charges you verbally. When it happened during those types of media scrums, I would always get a rush, because I knew I had done my job.

Let's all remember, again, that Montreal has been accused before of neglecting to detect concussions before. Under Therrien. Reporters know that.
I didn't know you were a journalist.

I always thought the writers were on these forums to steal our posts.... now we have confirmation. :laugh:
I don't mind if they question about the protocol but what annoys me is the way Philipe Cantin is almost getting aggressive in those press conferences. I guess he took it really bad and personal when Bergevin confronted him at the end of the last season , asking him if he could explain what system we play.

After that incident he seems always in search of confrontation, always second guessing stuff .
Maybe is just me ...
Mr. Cantin should've had that backbone back when he was confronted by Bergevin. He looked like an amateur.
This. Exactly.

So easy to take a few words out of context and create a storm. Nowadays people get offended about everything.
Out of context or not, that's the kind of quote that finds it's way into a courtroom. The NHL is under fire for this right now and is about to find itself in the middle of a huge lawsuit concerning concussions. This is not a soundbite the league is going to want out there right now.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Obechkin, 1st overall
Tavares, 1st overall
Malkin, 2nd overall behind Ovechkkn
Crosby, 1st overall

You expecting Pacioretty to be at the level of these guys is comical. None of those guys played in the minors while Pacioretty needed a couple of seasons of seasoning. 22nd overall pick has developed into a 35-40 goal man.

I cannot expect him to be like them, because he is a worse offensive player. But you failed to comprehend my point anyway and childishly decided to change the topic ever so subtly. His goals do not cover the other 16-17 minutes in which he looks invisible. It is not me who use false equivalence to pump up Pacioretty's skill level.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
So did DD and Weise get promoted to the first line or did Pacioretty get demoted to the 2nd/3rd line?

Guess who's the most used forward tonight?
Yep, David Desharnais....and that's even more than Pacioretty himself.....and Desharnais didn't even played on the PK.

According to Bergeron on DM, MT left an open door when asked if the new lines would stay over to next game, by answering "it's possible".

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
Only saw the 3rd period but damn would I love to have a player like Foligno on the Habs. We are missing a gritty skilled player to play in the top 6. A Shayne Corson / Grant Marshall type of player.

Yes his hit on Flash was a little dirty (probably accidental) but that defensive play on Pleky was stellar!

Emelin did not deserve his penalty but whatever.
We won again!

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Poor Habs! If only Pacioretty would play well they might even crawl into the playoffs as a wild card! :D Strange, but I can't think of any other Hab who could take Pacioretty's place if he went on IR.

Pacioretty's critics have opinions (I can't deny them that) but they also seem to lack rationality (in my opinion and undoubtedly in that of his teammates). How many other 30+ goal scorers do they see on the roster? How would Condon (or even Price) win all those close games without him? As for his empty net goals, they seal many a tight game.

I challenge the anonymous geniuses who sit passively before their TVs, fortified with beer and junk food, to scout the frozen ponds in their neighborhoods and bring a previously unrecognized but superbly gifted sniper to Bergevin's attention.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Regretably missed this one...so is the blender back? Or was MT just working his confusing magic because they really needed it tonight?

From what I can gather:

Pacioretty - DD - ?
Fleishman - Plekanec - ?
Eller - Galchenyuk - ?
Byron - Flynn - Thomas

You got it pretty well.

Weise played with Patches/DD, Byron was with Flash/Pleks and I thought that was a good line. Speedy.

DSP played his off-wing with Flynn/Thomas. Thomas & Flynn played really well. I said it before. Thomas is an NHLer, but in the mold of Byron/Flynn. He's a serviceable 4th liner. He's got speed and he hustles. Don't know if he'll be more than that.

The Chucky line was the only line that stayed together (Eller and Ghetto).

Beau and Subban were outstanding in the 3rd period. I even liked Gilbert.

Condon played well, but the Habs defended very well in front of him as well.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I don't get the point of signing the camera lenses..lol

It's a tennis tradition. I see it happen all the time when they do post match interviews on the court.

I always wonder what they do with those lenses. Is there a market for it?

And yes, that's subban's best game in a long time.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
BTW, I'm just reading up on this concussion protocol stuff regarding beaulieu.

Isnt this exactly why the NHL implemented neutral spotters at each game? Isnt it their job to ensure that the player goes to the dark room if they deem the player in need of an extra look?

Nynja*

BTW, I'm just reading up on this concussion protocol stuff regarding beaulieu.

Isnt this exactly why the NHL implemented neutral spotters at each game? Isnt it their job to ensure that the player goes to the dark room if they deem the player in need of an extra look?

Yes, its the spotters job to inform the team that they feel the player needs to go to the quiet room. That means the spotter didnt do his job.

Kikizaz

Jan 15, 2008
Victoria BC
Why, yes it is.

He should've the kids best interest at heart.

Its unrealistic to expect a coach (who lets' face it, depend on wins for job security) to take out a player if the coach thinks the player will help win the game.

Scotty Bowman let Yzerman play on destroyed knees. I don't think Stevie is blaming Bowman for the aches in his knees.

The NHL has instituted a concussion spotter for this reason, to help coaches make the safe (not always right) decision. They have been given a supreme and unqestionable ability to oversee the game and take a player out of a game, its their responsibility to do so.

BigFatPapa

Oct 7, 2003
Why, yes it is.

He should've the kids best interest at heart.

No, it's not his job to contradict the league-appointed spotter AND the Habs' medical staff in assessing said kid's health situation. If a mistake was made, the spotter and/or the medical staff should answer for it, not MT.

Kudos to the journalists for doing their job and asking the tough questions, and MT's quote is dumb, even in context. I think one of the key issues is that the standard post-game communication structure between the team and the media (which is pretty much to throw the coach in front of the cameras to answer questions) is not suited for these instances. MT should have stayed disciplined and stated that he followed the advice of his medical staff (and the non-intervention of the spotter), and the team should have prepared an official statement from the medical staff to answer the questions that were obviously going to be asked.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
i hope the people saying subban dove are trollin... because dats a sloofoot.

When Torts says it's a penalty it's a penalty. He was clearly pissed at Hartnell for such a dumb mistake. Subban was our best player all night and is a very big reason for our success.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Poor Habs! If only Pacioretty would play well they might even crawl into the playoffs as a wild card! :D Strange, but I can't think of any other Hab who could take Pacioretty's place if he went on IR.

Pacioretty's critics have opinions (I can't deny them that) but they also seem to lack rationality (in my opinion and undoubtedly in that of his teammates). How many other 30+ goal scorers do they see on the roster? How would Condon (or even Price) win all those close games without him? As for his empty net goals, they seal many a tight game.

I challenge the anonymous geniuses who sit passively before their TVs, fortified with beer and junk food, to scout the frozen ponds in their neighborhoods and bring a previously unrecognized but superbly gifted sniper to Bergevin's attention.

No, we don't.

With star players, it's very noticeable when a player isn't at 100% since the difference between their worst and their best is so much bigger than say Byron's best/worst. We've seen these players be sharp on the ice, skate well, make good decisions. And we've seen them do it for a long time 9 games out of 10. We are able to differentiate a bad game here and there with a prolonged streak of weak ass play.

For example, people have been saying Subban has not played great hockey this season. They're right. Tonight, he was excellent though. He didn't even get a star, many said he should have got the first star. He was sharp, skating well, strong on his skates, quick high IQ passes, few if any obvious brain farts. And Subban only has 1 assist to show for it tonight. But it's not about the points.

It goes beyond points and any other statistical "rational arguments". It's easy to see when a player is floating a lot and making bad passes regardless of their stats. And Pacioretty has not been himself for a while regardless of the points and goals.

But I'll give Pacioretty a lot of slack. First of all he lost Gallagher, and Plekanec has not been a huge help with his so-so play and lack of imagination. Secondly, his injury likely prevented him from training the way he is used to. Also, he has a more defensive role this season than he had in the past playing with DD. Finally, he has to adjust to the pressure of being the captain. There are lots of factors at play here. All in all, we can't be too critical of Pacioretty. But those who say he's not playing well are definitely not being irrational. They know what they see.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
That win last night was about as ugly as the weather this morning in Montreal. But we'll take it! Just like we'll take the rain over the snow ;)

Always scary seeing a player go down (even slightly) in a fight. The refs totally missed that Foligno knee on Flash, had they called a penalty and done their jobs maybe the players wouldnt need to take matters into their own hands. I know the refs have tough jobs and calls to make but last night they were just terrible I thought.

On another note, looking foward to seeing MT's line combos on Thursday. Looks like the blender is out ;) I was glad to see Patches score one, knowing how streaky he is, maybe this will get him going!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad