OT: Embarrassing hockey moments.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Negative Moment: Scored on my own goal, as a centerman our job was to help the defense out floating from side to side. Well the opposing player decided to surprise us and throw the puck towards the net instead of cycling it, it went off my skate off the goalies stick and in the net. I felt like ****, since it was a game tying goal that would send us further into the playoffs.

Favorite Moment: In grade 9 at Maples Collegiate I played for our rookie team in the WHSHL's Annual Rookie Classic (grade 9s and 10s), I was paired with 2 good players on my line, I wasn't bad myself. I ended up getting a hat-trick and 3 assists in one game for the highest point total in one game for a rookie from our school. It was awesome, took home the player of the game as well from that one.

I've had my ups and downs playing hockey, but I love playing the sport.

Last edited:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I have another soccer story, but it's related to hockey.

So on our highschool team we really only had one keeper. He ended up tearing his groin half way through the season and we didn't really have anyone to replace him with. The only option was to stick one of the other guys in net and no one wanted to do it. I also played rep hockey at the time and I knew our backup tender also went to our highschool, so I recommended him. I figured if he was a goalie in one sport he could be a goalie in another.

He agrees to join the team.

First game and about 20 minutes in one of the opposing strikers decides to smack talk him up pretty good after he made a good save on him. He calmly put down the ball and just one-punched the mouthpiece. Dropped him like a sack of ****. Ended up getting banned from the league and I ended up getting stuck in net for recommending him.

Totally thought it was worth it though.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I have another soccer story, but it's related to hockey.

So on our highschool team we really only had one keeper. He ended up tearing his groin half way through the season and we didn't really have anyone to replace him with. The only option was to stick one of the other guys in net and no one wanted to do it. I also played rep hockey at the time and I knew our backup tender also went to our highschool, so I recommended him. I figured if he was a goalie in one sport he could be a goalie in another.

He agrees to join the team.

First game and about 20 minutes in one of the opposing strikers decides to smack talk him up pretty good after he made a good save on him. He calmly put down the ball and just one-punched the mouthpiece. Dropped him like a sack of ****. Ended up getting banned from the league and I ended up getting stuck in net for recommending him.

Totally thought it was worth it though.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That's what happens if a hockey player has to be a soccer player :laugh:

KittyCarlyle

Jul 5, 2011
... off the top of my head...

1)Being a Mark Stuart-esque defenceman, there were too many "own goals" in my career to go into detail about... they usually happened when a girlfriend was in attendance.

2)Playing Jungle B, wrecked my right shoulder but stayed in the game - figured I was still OK to scrap left-handed. Didn't factor in having to grab the jersey with a bum arm and got it handed to me.

3)Also playing Junior B - played against Darren Helm (he was 15 and looked like he was about a buck thirty, I was 21, 6'2/210) - took a few runs at him and man was he sturdy! The little s--- knocked me on my ass more than once. I don't feel quite as bad about it today but at the time it was a pretty big blow to the ego.

4)Reffing - about 12 years old doing a game at the local community club with more than a few friends in attendance - hopped up on the boards at the blue line to avoid the play and went ass-over-teakettle into the snowbank. Didn't last long as a ref!

5)Beer league - being in my 30s I now get to embarrass myself on a weekly basis!

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Two ones I remember... I was always a big kid, taller and wider than most guys. Too bad I was so slow. Anyway, when we first started checking, my size had some interesting consequences. I remember one of the kids on my team was literally a beginner. Never skated before. So our first practice, we're practicing checking/taking checks. I'm supposed to just lightly check against the boards. So he skates up, giving it his all, and I cruise over to check him. Then, at the last second, his legs give out, and kicks me in the leg. I fall over, and so does he. Turns out he broke his ankle. Felt pretty bad about that, but he came back, at least.

The other was from one of my brief stints as a d-man. I got the pass in the high slot from my partner on the left boards, and I took a shot. It got deflected away towards the left corner, and I see a tiny kid charging at me for a late check. I had a head and a half on him, at least. So he gives it his all, but I just knock the poor guy over. Anyway, I got two for roughing. It was my first penalty, I felt terrible, and I was crying in the box. My dad thought it was hilarious, though.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Never played hockey so no moments with me. I'll share a story my dad loves to tell about him and his friend catching a Jets game.

I don't really hear it at the new arena (or never noticed), but at the old one the kids carrying the popcorn would always yell "popcorn heeerrreee!" as they walked up and down the stairs. Anyway one time the kid completely wiped out dumping all his popcorn and my dad's friend yelled "Popcorn heeereee" at the poor kid. Must have been pretty embaressing for him.
That very well could have been me. By the way, the ******** (serious ********) running concessions for Winnipeg Enterprises would have made the kid pay retail price for all of that popcorn, even though they wouldn't have minded sweeping it off the floor and selling it again. On a really good night, we made $30 each. Most times were more like $15. It would have taken at least 2 game nights to pay it. So the kid being embarrassed was probably the least of his troubles. Your buddy's dad sounds like a real winner.

Dunno if that actually was me, but I was and continue to be a giant oaf, so there's that embarrassing memory.

Almost all of my embarrassing hockey moments were in Minor Peewee. I forgot my cup one day for a game in River Heights. It's the only time I ever needed one, too. Who knew 13 year olds had slapshots like that?

Another time we were being beaten pretty badly at a tournament in Grand Forks. We were an a2/3 team playing against a1's because our CC's a1 team bowed out. In the 3rd we were only down 4-2 which was pretty respectable considering the different skill levels. One guy kept chirping about stupid Canadians and I caught him not looking right in front of his bench. I was then and am still HUGE, so I thought maybe I'd put him back on his bench, but I tripped just as I was laying into him, and ended up drilling him in the nose with my elbow. So, I got tossed, they scored on the PP and final score was 7-2.

On my 13th birthday, a family friend used his connections with the Jets to get me into the arena for a closed practice. I remember watching Alexei Zhamnov staying out on the ice afterward doing solo drills. His commitment amazed me and he because my favourite player after that. After a few minutes of watching that, I got to go down to the dressing room and meet my old favourite player, Keith Tkachuk. He came out and handed me a game-used stick (I actually have a 93-94 upper deck card where he's using the exact same stick!) which he autographed and spelled my name wrong. "Happy birthday, Jaret," he said. "Thanks, happy birthday," I replied. So smooth.

Actually the best part of that day was Igor Ulanov. Tkachuk only stayed a minute after I weirded him out, but Ulanov came out and said "Holy *****, you are big kid. You are defenseman?" "No, left wing." "Why you wanna play winger, you should be defenseman like me." "I can't skate backwards." "Sean Cronin can't skate backwards, he is NHL player." "Sean Cronin can't skate forward either." "So you see, you be defenseman, play in NHL someday."

Igor got it wrong, but he was still the coolest NHLer I ever got to meet.

Last edited:

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
I was 13 and most of my relatives decided to attend one of my games for the first time ever.

I had to clear the oppositions zone, so when I wheeled around and came back in, one of the players took a bad pass and lost the puck in his feet basically coming to a stand still looking down at his feet. My eyes widened, I began salivating at this helpless gazelle. I was coming at him at warp speed and I can feel the anticipation of the entire arena waiting for the inevitable destruction of this child. With about three strides to go he turns his back to me. On instinct I let up just to give him a bump. I ended up falling backwards on my butt. He maintained possession of the puck and skated away.

There was a lot of laughter in that arena at that moment. To this day I live with shame of that moment.

Last edited:

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I was 13 and most of my relatives decided to attend one of my games for the first time ever.

I had to clear the oppositions zone, so when I wheeled around and came back in, one of the players took a bad pass and lost the puck in his feet basically coming to a stand still looking down at his feet. My eyes widened, I began salivating at this helpless gazelle. I was coming at him at warp speed and I can feel the anticipation of the entire arena waiting for the inevitable destruction of this child. With about three strides to go he turns his back to me. On instinct I let up just to give him a bump. I ended up falling backwards on my butt. He maintained possession of the puck and skated away.

There was a lot of laughter in that arena at that moment. To this day I live with shame of that moment.

Would've been a lot worse had you kept going, so props. I was hit from behind quite violently when I was a kid and I went into the boards head first. Luckily there was nothing wrong with me because the coach decided to pick me up under the shoulders and get me off the ice.

My embarrassing moment - we were playing a team from a farming community (we lived in Portage la Prairie for a while, so it was probably Crystal City or somewhere similar) and I decided to pick a fight with someone. I punched his cage, he punched me back and I toppled over immediately. Every player on that team was over 6" tall and we were dominated.

Also one time in peewee we got scored on and I slammed my stick against the boards. It echoed through the entire arena and everyone went silent. The ref told me to sit in the box and I sat there and pouted. :laugh:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
man, the dude who mentioned oakbank, those games were always crazy intense with them. They were so much bigger then us all the time. i remember playing them out at their arena which was kind of a dump, believe we were getting smoked pretty good.

Few friends on the team decided to start some fights,dont know why because being a goalie, im sitting there watching going, umm bad idea guys. Just pummeled a few of my buddies badly.

Anyways tho, had a tournament in warroad Minnesota, not sure why we went to be honest, guess for the experience cuz we all knew going in, we would be absolutely killed.

we indeed were, believe we won a game but still...

there was a team there, had this great player, dominated every game.. at the time i had no idea who it was.. played for warroad high school, not sure why they were in the tournament even, actually.. not sure like i said why we went.. Kid just dominated. Do remember this pretty well tho, he scored a couple goals against me, pretty much embarassed me on them but.. late in the game, the guy had a break away, im like oh god here we go again, but.. funny thing happened, totally robbed him big time.

After the game he came up to me and said, you know what.. you might have lost but you seriously stood on your head, keep playing, you might have a future.. he was wrong about that lol but.. turns out that player was TJ Oshie. :)

So yup.. claim to fame, stopped him from getting his hat trick in a tournament in warroad. :) not embarassing but just a neat little life moment.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
These aren't really embarrassing but are great, feel good stories.

Another amazing moment I will never forget (well 2 actually), we were 9 years old (1994-95 season), my dad was one of our coaches and knew someone high up in the original Jets organization. So they decided to take our team to a closed practice to watch the Jets, it was awesome!

They then invited us down to the dressing room to meet the team, this was when the likes of Khabibulin, Selanne, Tkachuk, Numminen, etc. As 9 year olds we were on cloud nine, it was surreal, the guys were awesome.

We all got their autographs and photos and left.

Fast forward a couple months (my parents knew I was a HUGE Selanne fan) to my birthday, they got me this hard framed poster of Selanne.

$(KGrHqRHJE8FGTqt26muBRor5kPjB!~~48_35.JPG

Except mine says "To Alex, Best Wishes, Teemu Selanne 1995". Still hangs in my mancave to this day!

*EDIT* Mods should change the thread to "Share your hockey stories" remove embarrassing.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Would've been a lot worse had you kept going, so props. I was hit from behind quite violently when I was a kid and I went into the boards head first. Luckily there was nothing wrong with me because the coach decided to pick me up under the shoulders and get me off the ice

It was actually in open ice so I still probably could of went through him and he'd be fine other than whip lash I guess.

man, the dude who mentioned oakbank, those games were always crazy intense with them. They were so much bigger then us all the time. i remember playing them out at their arena which was kind of a dump, believe we were getting smoked pretty good.

I remember playing Oakbank in an exhibition game. Unfortunately half my team went to Oakbluff instead. I think 9 of us actually showed up.

I can honestly say I've never been scared on the ice except for that game. That team was unreal fast and tough. I got hammered so hard about 5 feet from the boards on a late hit/charging, that anytime the puck ended up on my stick I got rid of it quick. Insane that team was.

I guess admitting to being scared on the ice is embarrassing in itself.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: