Post-Game Talk: Gonna Stu on this loss for a while

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Skinner is cooked. It will be Pickard for game 4 based on Knoblauch's post-game presser where he opened the door with a waffling non-committal. I need to see the full presser but Sportsnet highlights is first time where Knoblauch has looked rattled imo.

I really thought this organization might have been priming Campbell for a post-season back-up gig to have available a guy with NHL pressure playoff experience in event that Skinner wilted. Pickard's been steady all year. But this is a massive moment with daylight running on a team with expectation to be playing in June. Note, NHL hockey should never be played in June.

The funny thing about pickard is he is the only goalie on this team who has done exaclty what has been required and expected of him.

Campbell has failed miserably and isn't even an NHL goalie anymore.

Skinner once again panics under the lights and is going to cost this team again.

Pickard was asked to come in "be the backup" and has an amazing record all year.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
clearly the backup a number of us called him in the offseason

I mean if Oilers players took 1/2 the shots that they give the other teams top goal scorers we'd be winning 10-4 everygame.

THe fact of the matter Skinner gets beat by players who have nothing but time and space to pick their spots and NHLrs don't miss often when given the chance

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Skinner totally took the crowd out of it. They thought of chanting Skinner but that would be just wrong on home ice.

Pulling the dope after first period would have helped the crowd get into the game again with some hope.

Yeah honestly - shades of Game 6 versus VGK last year. I was in the crowd with a bunch of my most rowdy buddies and we could barely make a peep. 😂

You watch that kind of goaltending performance and your heart just sinks.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Several posters were saying that you "have to start Skinner in game 2, "not starting him just says you don't believe in him"

Where are those posters now.?

Yeah, won't say a peep on it now. Several posters after game one responded that theres already been enough runway NOT to trust Skinner. He's been bad in every game in this series. Not much of a surprise is it. Skinner has now been bad in 2/3 of his career playoff starts. its monty python level on inanity.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's true. But it is a difference in this series imo. Canucks came out hard and physical and continue that through the game. Oil d was too passive and easy night for Canuck players in the battle areas of the ice. Have to be hard on skill players. Canuckles under Tocchet are bringing an alleyfight.
Thats a good point.
The other thing is that they have the size/meaness on D to take away space and time and also punish the Oilers forwards as well. Myers and Zadorov are tough to play against and one of them is on the ice for most of the game. Soucy is a big Dman as well...plays tough too.
Tochet doesnt have to worry about whether or not one of those 3 players is on the ice against McDavid either.

Skinner does have to be better though and they also need to get more bodies in front of Silovs.
He is a battler.
The Canucks made a hell of a pick getting him at 156th overall.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Skinner totally took the crowd out of it. They thought of chanting Skinner but that would be just wrong on home ice.

Pulling the dope after first period would have helped the crowd get into the game again with some hope.
That second goal he had to go. Two quick goals in succession like that. I was shocked to see he started the second period.

The game was 100% salvageable at that point.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
The funny thing about pickard is he is the only goalie on this team who has done exaclty what has been required and expected of him.

Campbell has failed miserably and isn't even an NHL goalie anymore.

Skinner once again panics under the lights and is going to cost this team again.

Pickard was asked to come in "be the backup" and has an amazing record all year.

Both the oilers goalies are identical

1715577859236.png

And for reference heres how the season ended for all goalies over 50 games played

1715577956705.png

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
True. But 4 posts means we beat their goalie too but couldn’t find the finish. Skinner needed to come up with a big save though. Atleast one on those two breakdowns. Without breakdowns it’s not like he let in any true softies.
There was definitely some bad luck involved and some bad defensive breakdowns as well but, again, the Canucks also had some bad turnovers/breakdowns that didn't lead to a goal against. If this was just a one-off game then I would shrug it off but Skinner has been terrible in all 3 games, you have to make big saves occasionally to bail out your team and he continually struggles with that.

If you look at these 3 games, the Canucks haven't really produced that many high danger chances yet they've scored 12 goals in 3 games, the high danger save pct. in these 3 games must be all time bad because it seems like just about every one has gone in.

Anyway, season is on the brink of being extinguished to a team that has been very average and it could very well be the end of a very disappointing era that should have been so much better. The poor goaltending is a big part of that especially in the last two playoffs, not the only reason but it's a big part of it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That second goal he had to go. Two quick goals in succession like that. I was shocked to see he started the second period.

The game was 100% salvageable at that point.
The second goal Boeser had an eternity to pick his spot. That wasn’t Warren Foegele he was facing.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Several posters were saying that you "have to start Skinner in game 2, "not starting him just says you don't believe in him"

Where are those posters now.?

Yeah, won't say a peep on it now. Several posters after game one responded that theres already been enough runway NOT to trust Skinner. He's been bad in every game in this series. Not much of a surprise is it. Skinner has now been bad in 2/3 of his career playoff starts. its monty python level on inanity.

Fine you got me. I thought skinner should have started game 2 I’ll go punch myself in the face now for being a complete love of shit and costing this team the cup by backing its players.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah honestly - shades of Game 6 versus VGK last year. I was in the crowd with a bunch of my most rowdy buddies and we could barely make a peep. 😂

You watch that kind of goaltending performance and your heart just sinks.
Exactly that game. Same feeling except one was at least against a contending team with uber scoring talent.

We were all on this over a year ago saying Skinner is never going to be good enough for a Starter playoff run.

Oh but he's only a rook they say" even though he wasn't really.

Said it before but 25yr old Skinner ain't ever getting better, and why should we wait?

Reactions: iCanada

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Many of us were screaming to put Pickard in when it was 3-1.

That might have been a big game changer... teams often get a boost from a goalie change and they bear down and push harder.

Waiting likely put that game out of reach and caused the L.

It's absolutely mind-boggling that every coach this team has had refuses to make a change unless the game is more or less out of reach. I guess the Campbell swap that one game vs LA last year? Otherwise it's been far too late.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Exactly that game. Same feeling except one was at least against a contending team with uber scoring talent.

We were all on this over a year ago saying Skinner is never going to be good enough for a Starter playoff run.

Oh but he's only a rook they say" even though he wasn't really.

Said it before but 25yr old Skinner ain't ever getting better, and why should we wait?
so who’s on the horizon? Sounds like we are f***ed.

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
I don’t pay too close attention to these charts in gsmes where one team takes a large lead early. They’re hanging back defending the entire game and not taking any chances on offense at all. We did the same thing against LA

So none of those 45 shots were strong chances? What?

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Oh Yeah Since Draisaitl called me out earlier.

Here's tonight's slips that I played

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-12 230202.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-12 230202.png
    98.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2024-05-12 230152.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-12 230152.png
    150 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2024-05-12 230143.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-12 230143.png
    163.3 KB · Views: 1

Ad