OT: Embarrassing hockey moments.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Since we are in the middle of the summer, not much is going on, and some of us are tired of the Jets 1.0/ Thrasher/ Jets 2.0 debate :p:, I thought we could talk about something fun.

Most embarrassing hockey moments. This could be anything to do with your experience in hockey. I will start off with 3 of my embarassing moments:

1> In a playoff game, the puck bounced out to me beside my net and I spun around to bank the puck behind the net to my partner and I scored short side on my own goalie

2> When I was a little guy (11 or so) my Big Brother took me to Jets games and instead of watching the game I used to go up and watch the organist play.

3> I have no idea how to read those charts Vito Correlationi makes with the bubbles.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
My first "goal" got called back for kicking the puck.

This wasn't a "did his foot leave the ice" while I deftly angled the puck in. I was 6 years old at the time, stationed in front of the next, think 4' Holmstrom. The puck squirts free and its me, the puck, a wide open net, and 15 seconds to do whatever I want. However in that moment I felt like I was running through the streets of Pamplona and I needed to get that puck in the net before the bulls arrived. Obviously pulling my stick back and pushing it forward would have taken hours, so I instinctively kicked the puck in.
Whistles goes, no goal, and I live my life in shame.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
1) My most embarassing moment wasn't embarrassing at the time...
If I reflect on it though, I realize how dumb it was and it embarrasses me now haha.
When I was really young I got moved to defense because my coach wanted my best friend and I on the ice as often as possible. I played a Byfuglien/Postma style defense (this was the year before I decided to go goalie).
I attempted a bank behind the net pass much like Jet failed in his story above, except I succeeded.
My best friend and I thought it was so cool so we started doing it whenever possible.
One time I was in the neutral zone with the puck and we went back into our own zone just to do it.
:facepalm:
So dumb.

2) My brothers (3 of them) and their friends formed a floor hockey team for a rec league and I was the coach. All my bros are pretty solid hockey players for their age, most of them playing Jr all over Canada/US.
I'm the oldest but probably the second smallest (6'2 190), one of my bros is a bit of a runt. Having bigger bros, the runt in the family isn't really afraid of bigger guys. He so happens to have the biggest mouth.
We were playing against a team full of guys from the Navy. My bro trashed talked like normal and someone had enough and tried to fight him. He got the guy under and started uppercutting. 3rd guy came in and tried to get my bro from behind. Then my big bro (in size not age) came in and separated them with the help of the refs.
After the game the guy who turtle'd to the runt started lipping him. The big bro then said something along the lines of "you ****ing represent our country and you want to pick on a high schooler (bit of a lie, he graduated the year before) why don't you pick on someone your own size".
So they fought. My brother essentially one punched the guy after dodging a few that grazed his face.
I got suspended as the coach for letting all that go down.
So I was suspended as a coach for a floor hockey rec league.... hahaha

(...)
3> I have no idea how to read those charts Vito Correlationi makes with the bubbles.

You won't let it die will you :p: haha

Last edited:

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I was skating back into my zone and Phaneuf'd

oh-phaneuf.gif

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
My first year playing on a team when I was 7, whenever the players would bunch together around the puck I would purposely dive/slide at the group with my stick in front of me to take out all the players, my teammates included - I was the bowling ball and they were the pins! Not sure what I was thinking...

The last year I played organized hockey, I think it was bantam, I went crossed the red line and went to dump the puck in, did a slapper and hit the ref in the @ss with the puck, and he happened to be only like 4 feet in front of me. Play was stopped and I got a good yelling at. Whoops!:laugh:

Last edited:

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
My dad took me to a game way back when I was maybe 11 or 12... would have been 79, 80, 81... somewhere in there? We got 7-11 seats way up in the nosebleeds (was that the south end?). I don't remember who the opponent was or what the score was... just that the Jets were awful. When they finally scored I jumped up out of my seat and cheered, and the ice from my coke flew about 5 rows down and landed all over this huge bald guy. I sat back down quick as I could before he turned around and avoided eye contact.

My dad and I still laugh about that to this day.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
tumblr_mir4daRy8d1qk17n8o1_500.gif

tumblr_mir4daRy8d1qk17n8o2_500.gif

... anyway, I recently started playing beer league (first time skating in full equipment in ~8 years), during one of my first few shifts I ended up lining up on the wrong side of the face off, doh. Paying attention ftw.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
11 yrs old, first ever try out for St James Canadians, and forgot to get skates sharpened
Skate sharpener dude was closed so I had to endure - was not pretty, like AT ALL

Luckily they understood and didn't cut me that day

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
i got a concussion after scoring my 1st goal. teammate jumped on me and i fell over, backwards, and hit my head off the ice.

got on the ice once for a pre-game skate and couldn't understand why legs weren't working. looked down and saw i stepped on a piece of sock tape.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Never played hockey (unfortunately :() but soccer (obviously...) until I was like 19.

I never had really embarrassing moments, I don't remember any, at least. But I had one very dirty moment which I'm really, really not proud of looking back at it years after. I was like 17 and we had a practice match against the age group group one to two years below us (what is the best expression in english for that? ^^). We we're 16/17 and the other team 14/15. I think you get what I mean.

Anyway, I remember having a bad day and putting up a rather poor performance in the practice match. The fact that I played against kids 1-2 years younger than me, playing poorly like I did, made me even angrier. I had a moment when the ball bounced from a long cross a couple of meters ahead of me. I chased it but the defender got to it two stepts before I did. I was at my frustration limit and tackled him in a really nasty way half in a body-check, half slide tackle. I hurt him and he couldn't continue playing and I was yelled at and sent into the dressing room immediately. Thank god he wasn't injured but it was a silly, immature move from myself and I think I did regret it seconds after I did it. It still felt good for the pressure release and I'm ashamed for that fact. It probably was the worst move in my entire sport-life. I didn't even really apologize to the kid.

Imagine a hard, intentional cross-check from behind, head into the boards in the offensive zone. Kinda like that I guess if you'd compare it to an hockey accident.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
was a goalie, played AAA for the winnipeg sharks

But back in the community club days, i was having a very solid game, the other team had something like 50 shots and i stopped them all..

shot 51 was a weak floater to the glove hand side, i decided to patrick roy it, thing is... same thing that happened to patrick happened to me

we won the game like 5-1 but... that was a pretty embarassing moment for sure.

also played in an all star game, won the most valuable goalie award however when i went to accept the award, i totally belly flopped and landed on my face causing me to bleed a wee bit.

My mom has a nice picture of me holding my award while blood is dripping down my forehead.

most embarassing tho, my dad and i were playing around in the backlane, my dad sucks at hockey, totally sucks.. he even says he sucks.. he was taking shots on me, he couldnt raise a puck 2 feet off the ground for the life of him, my moms like you should wear a helmet, my dad said why, i cant raise the puck.. so we were outside doing this for an hour or so, my mom called us in for supper.. im like yup.. ok, my dad is like one last shot.. well, that one shot caught me square in the forehead and there was a very wonderful trail of blood from my backlane all the way to my house, i didnt go to the hospital or anything to get it stitched up, just let it heal, still have the scarring there to prove it.

haha wanna talk soccer? ok, i played for one team, my cousin played for another team (different areas of the city), we were playing them one game and i was a competitive pretty good player,scored me some goals quite often, well this game, i was being overly aggressive and in my cousins face all game, the ball went to the corner, we both chased after it.. he went to kick the ball and missed and kicked me right in the face, i was a tough kid so didnt go down or anything but.. man that was painful big time. we also had quite the rivarly with a team from i believe crescentwood, they had this one player on their team who would just peace me right off all the time, one game i just had enough of his junk so.. well, yup.. booted him squarely in his. got a red card for that but still, would do it again :P

Last edited:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Never played hockey so no moments with me. I'll share a story my dad loves to tell about him and his friend catching a Jets game.

I don't really hear it at the new arena (or never noticed), but at the old one the kids carrying the popcorn would always yell "popcorn heeerrreee!" as they walked up and down the stairs. Anyway one time the kid completely wiped out dumping all his popcorn and my dad's friend yelled "Popcorn heeereee" at the poor kid. Must have been pretty embaressing for him.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Played defense (usually a LW'er) in a fun tournament many, many years ago.

As I'm skating backwards with the puck, I think, I'll just wheel around this casual forechecker and move up ice quickly. But before I can change direction, I catch an edge, fall, leave the puck exactly in the high slot for the forechecker, and proceed to take out the goalie as I'm sliding backwards.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I was playing in the Firefighters Tournament for Sturgeon Creek Community Club at the St. James Civic Centre.

I was killing a penalty and I tried to ice the puck by shooting it up the middle of the ice.

Unfortunately, the opposition intercepted it and scored.

Fortunately, we were already up by four and won the game, and eventually, the tournament!

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
1. Peewee hockey, Ian White firing a slapshot past me from just outside the blueline.

2. Pretty sure this was in bantam, had the puck deflected in front of me and slowly trickling to my left. I managed to get the paddle of my stick on the puck and pin it to the ice, held it there for 3 or 4 seconds before a guy smacked it out from underneath the stick and into the net. :rant: "Where's the whistle!!". Yeah, I didn't know the rule. You can't freeze with your stick, oops.

3. Quite likely became the first and only backup goalie to be tossed from a game. Team was playing in Oakbank, and not only was it insanely chippy, it was also easily the worst reffed game I have ever witnessed. Our team was getting killed, and a bunch of our guys had already been tossed.

So an Oakbank player gets checked near our bench, and I instinctively put my hands out to protect myself. Well, in my mind at least. Truth is I probably tossed in a little blocker shot. ;)

Ref spots this right away, blows the whistle and gives me the heave-ho. Best moment was me storming into the dressing room, where we already had 4-5 guys that had been thrown out. They damn near killed themselves laughing. :laugh:

Son of Soren

May 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Couple come to mind...

1. As a little kid, I guess I used to embelish body contact a little bit (before it was allowed). Growing up in a small town, everyone knew everyone else and of course the ref was 6 years older than me and knew my family very well. To this day whenever I go back to that town and he sees me he starts laughing and telling me about my pirouettes that I used to perform after a hit as I fell to the ice.

2. Maybe at 13 now, I got hit into the boards in an old small town rink and got a chunk of wood in my a$$. Kept playing the game as it didn't bleed too much, but the embarrassing part came later as I laid on the doctors table, bare-a$$ed as the doctor took out the wood and stiched up my butt.

3. Around 12 y.o. Wasn't feeling that good but my dad coached the team so I went to play anyways... in the second intermission we often had buckets full of cut up oranges to give us some energy and I chowed down. Half-way through the last period, a fever spiked and the assistant coach helped me off the ice after the whistle. About 2-3 meters from the door I couldn't hold it and puked up all the oranges on the ice. Which was bad enough, but I was wearing a cage and had regurgitated oranges hanging from it 2 inches from my face... to this day I still don't eat oranges!

4. After checking a guy into the boards in our corner he hit the ice pretty hard and I quickly passed the puck up the ice to my center who took it up the ice with the other winger and the refs following. As the guy got up under me, I was off-balanced and sat on him while he was on his hands and knees. Normally I'd just skate away, but for some reason I sat there and bounced on him a few times like I was testing out a new lay-z-boy recliner before skating off. I still shake my head at that one.

Not me, but I have to add in one last one. When we were very little (squirts age), we had one younger member of our team who could barely skate, but none of us could at that age. He developed a strategy of skating up to the kid with the puck, falling on his butt, spreading his legs and having the puck get stuck in him. Then he'd get up and skate away with it. It was hilarious to watch and worked every time!!

p.s. Hank, did we ever play against each other? born in '82 played in Gladstone?

Last edited:

Tombsy

Jun 23, 2011
Beer league. I was freaking out at a defensive zone faceoff because the other team had 5 skaters (They were shorthanded).

Didn't realize they pulled their goalie. Both benches were chirping me. haha

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
1) My most embarassing moment wasn't embarrassing at the time...
If I reflect on it though, I realize how dumb it was and it embarrasses me now haha.
When I was really young I got moved to defense because my coach wanted my best friend and I on the ice as often as possible. I played a Byfuglien/Postma style defense (this was the year before I decided to go goalie).
I attempted a bank behind the net pass much like Jet failed in his story above, except I succeeded.
My best friend and I thought it was so cool so we started doing it whenever possible.
One time I was in the neutral zone with the puck and we went back into our own zone just to do it.
:facepalm:
So dumb.

2) My brothers (3 of them) and their friends formed a floor hockey team for a rec league and I was the coach. All my bros are pretty solid hockey players for their age, most of them playing Jr all over Canada/US.
I'm the oldest but probably the second smallest (6'2 190), one of my bros is a bit of a runt. Having bigger bros, the runt in the family isn't really afraid of bigger guys. He so happens to have the biggest mouth.
We were playing against a team full of guys from the Navy. My bro trashed talked like normal and someone had enough and tried to fight him. He got the guy under and started uppercutting. 3rd guy came in and tried to get my bro from behind. Then my big bro (in size not age) came in and separated them with the help of the refs.
After the game the guy who turtle'd to the runt started lipping him. The big bro then said something along the lines of "you ****ing represent our country and you want to pick on a high schooler (bit of a lie, he graduated the year before) why don't you pick on someone your own size".
So they fought. My brother essentially one punched the guy after dodging a few that grazed his face.
I got suspended as the coach for letting all that go down.
So I was suspended as a coach for a floor hockey rec league.... hahaha

You won't let it die will you :p: haha

I bet I know those guys too lol

Anyways, while in the Navy I played floor hockey twice a week, and I really really suck. I step onto the floor and a guy smacks a slap shot at the goalie, and I try to smack it down with my stick, but it deflects past the goalie and into the net. The goalie just looks at me like...WTF are you doing?

I have to say...I really have no idea.

Different game, same league...or w/e. Both me and my buddy were running for the ball and he reached it and hit it with a hard wrist shot...which I caught with my face. Blood everywhere.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Ooo Hank reminded me of one.

Adam Cracknell went to the tryout for one of the Jr teams I played for, not to tryout but because he knew the coach and wanted extra icetime as Koutney's camo was later. I think this was few months after he got drafted late by CGY.

He slap shot the puck from centre ice and I couldn't even see it. It hit the skinny part of my stick above my blocker. Everyone knew I didn't see it and just got lucky.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00