Injury Report: Ellis out a week or two

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
17 is a pretty legit lac. Anything worth doing is worth doing well apparently. That's not a depth thing though, it's usually a length one (that's what she said).

Socks wouldn't have helped this one kahuna, if that's what you meant. Too high.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country

Did he get cut in the groin?

Fine then, let's strap our goalies into these from now on!

AR008_White_Knight_Armor.JPG

It would sure sound cool!

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
17 is a pretty legit lac. Anything worth doing is worth doing well apparently. That's not a depth thing though, it's usually a length one (that's what she said).

The socks may not have helped, but these might have...

gear-underwear.jpg

Of course, these things are all cut resistant, not cut proof.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Did he get cut in the groin?

The side on the knee. The Kevlar socks everyone talks about aren't worn over the knee, they're meant to protect the areas the shin pads don't down low. The full body stuff just pictured, if made from Kevlar would have done the trick as goalies often wear that sort of thing. If it isn't Kevlar it wouldn't stop a sharp skate though. Those suits aren't enough on their own.

These guys need bubbles apparently.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So, 4 days off between last night's game and the next one.

My prediction?

Somehow, during on the drills that Muller's running to get them out of this losing streak, Eric and Jordan collide with each other, both have to be helped off the ice. Skinner gets concussed trying to understand how such a string of bad luck could happen to a team, and Pitkanen uses the opportunity to become "injured" again.

Our lineup for next game will be:

Semin - Jokinen - Ruutu
Dalpe - Nash - Boychuk
Wallace - Brent - Dwyer
Westgarth - Hall - Bowman

McBain - Gleason
Harrison - Bellimore
Babchuk (acquired for a 3rd, because JR always overpays) - Murphy

Peters
Muse

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The side on the knee. The Kevlar socks everyone talks about aren't worn over the knee, they're meant to protect the areas the shin pads don't down low. The full body stuff just pictured, if made from Kevlar would have done the trick as goalies often wear that sort of thing. If it isn't Kevlar it wouldn't stop a sharp skate though. Those suits aren't enough in their own.

FTFY. Those are indeed kevlar - made by the same company in TN that makes the kevlar socks.

CanesAvs16

Jun 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
So, 4 days off between last night's game and the next one.

My prediction?

Somehow, during on the drills that Muller's running to get them out of this losing streak, Eric and Jordan collide with each other, both have to be helped off the ice. Skinner gets concussed trying to understand how such a string of bad luck could happen to a team, and Pitkanen uses the opportunity to become "injured" again.

Our lineup for next game will be:

Semin - Jokinen - Ruutu
Dalpe - Nash - Boychuk
Wallace - Brent - Dwyer
Westgarth - Hall - Bowman

McBain - Gleason
Harrison - Bellimore
Babchuk (acquired for a 3rd, because JR always overpays) - Murphy

Peters
Muse

Uh as far as I know Dalpe is still injured? Skating, but hasn't played a game yet since he was injured :) But otherwise, I generally enjoyed this post :laugh:

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Yeah. I used to think the moaning about the ice was some Southern hockey bash but it's become incredibly apparent that it's downright terrible. Either the new guy needs to get his act together or they need to bring in some outside help.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
Yeah. I used to think the moaning about the ice was some Southern hockey bash but it's become incredibly apparent that it's downright terrible. Either the new guy needs to get his act together or they need to bring in some outside help.

Is it even warm out there? Still feels like we're in January up here :cry:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The thing that I don't get is that Dave Wescott's got a great resume in terms of being an ice tech.

http://www.waterlooblackhawks.com/webpage.php?pageid=pressrelease&script=news_release.php&newsid=1003

BH: Where did you go after Waterloo?

DW: Well after leaving Waterloo, I spent eight years in Denver, Colorado playing and working on my Engineering Certification. Then I started a career in the ice rink business and ended up in Florida where I have been for the last 20 years. When I moved to Florida, we had four rinks in the state. Now we have 22 rinks and it was great to be a part of hockey growing in Florida.

BH: We understand you ended up working at two Olympics. How did that happen?

DW: Well, I have always been a part of USA Hockey as a volunteer coach and administrator. Then as a rink operator, I was able to host many regional and national tournaments. My reputation for providing good ice for tournaments, even in Florida, gave me the chance to apply for the job I now hold as Director, Facility Programs for STAR.

I was assistant Director of Competition for the 2002 Salt Lake Olympic Games. I was in charge of two of the hockey ice rinks during the games and helped prepare and make the ice for all of the hockey venues there. In 2006, I was Ice Master for all the hockey rinks used at the Torino Olympic Games.

This was a great honor, and although I didn’t get to the Olympics as a player, I did get there for Ice Hockey!

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1755&dat=20060204&id=5JceAAAAIBAJ&sjid=1oYEAAAAIBAJ&pg=2898,4923848

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/articles/article.aspx?articleid=429&zoneid=24

http://www.usahockeymagazine.com/article/2007-12/outside

So given this guy's experience across the US and the world...why is it that he can't make a sheet of ice here?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
FTFY. Those are indeed kevlar - made by the same company in TN that makes the kevlar socks.

Sweet. Yeah I said if they're made of Kevlar than they'd work. I can't see non goalies universally adopting the whole get up though. Not everyone likes to wear that sort of thing. I wouldn't. I'd wear the socks though.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

I guess the question I would ask is were any of those rinks convertible to basketball? If not that could be an issue I guess. I really don't know a lot (anything) about making a good sheet of ice in a stadium setting.

I know one thing though, being in a cold temperature area doesn't preclude you from having ****** ice. I played everywhere in the state of Connecticut and the Civic Center ice was one of the *********. Taft school had the best, bar none, but it was also one of the coldest so you can do the math on that one.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I guess the question I would ask is were any of those rinks convertible to basketball? If not that could be an issue I guess. I really don't know a lot (anything) about making a good sheet of ice in a stadium setting.

I know one thing though, being in a cold temperature area doesn't preclude you from having ****** ice. I played everywhere in the state of Connecticut and the Civic Center ice was one of the *********. Taft school had the best, bar none, but it was also one of the coldest so you can do the math on that one.

Basketball shouldn't even be an issue at this point in the season, though. There aren't any games scheduled at PNC Arena to my knowledge now that State has wrapped up its regular season.

Definitely spot on about cold weather not necessarily making good ice. Edmonton's ice quality has steadily declined and I believe it's considered fairly crappy now. MSG's is awful, in no small part (to my understanding) because of Penn Station being immediately below it. It used to be that the only times our ice was bad was when they had to do a quick change between a State game in the afternoon and a Canes game in the evening - now it seems like it's perpetual crap. The only change that we're all widely aware of is Donnie Mac's passing and replacement with Wescott - so again, if Wescott can make "championship ice" on the Gulf Coast, Indiana, Salt Lake City, and Italy, what's going on here - why can't he do what Donnie Mac did with regularity?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

The one the w Hartford teams played in was the worst. Hall and Conard? I can't ever remember anymore. S Windsor was our home rink, that guy wouldn't pay a red cent for heat. Great ice, froze your nads off though.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
The one the w Hartford teams played in was the worst. Hall and Conard? I can't ever remember anymore. S Windsor was our home rink, that guy wouldn't pay a red cent for heat. Great ice, froze your nads off though.

Yeah Veterans Memorial in West Hartford wasn't great. City owned, I believe. Scored my first high school goal there though. All the prep schools had pretty good ice. The twin rinks in Enfield were garbage though.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Scored my first against Windsor on an outdoor covered rink? Windsor locks? I think it was a prep schools. I went to eastern, and we had a club team that played at uconn. I used to cut class to play in three hour drop ins too. Best hockey I ever was part of. Prep school guys from all over the east coast, red shirts, it was nuts. 2 bucks for 2-3 hours. Another covered outdoor rink.

Twin rinks did suck, played a bunch of men's leagues there too. And Bolton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad