"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
snoopy-dance.gif

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Relatively cap friendly hit ... the lack of a NMC/NTC makes him portable if needed in the future ... flip side of that lack of a NMC/NTC means that we'll likely have to protect him in the Seattle expansion draft.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Relatively cap friendly hit ... the lack of a NMC/NTC makes him portable if needed in the future ... flip side of that lack of a NMC/NTC means that we'll likely have to protect him in the Seattle expansion draft.

He'd have to be protected either way - a NMC/NTC just means the team would HAVE to use one of their protection slots on him.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Poile is either certain he's going to be trading off assets to keep a D, or is planning the big F U to the whole process by leaving Josi's contract extension until after the draft. He can't possibly be going 4+4 again this time? That would be losing Turris, Arvi, or Fiala.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Great deal and the lack of a NMC/NTC will be a real help come expansion time. I think either Ellis goes and we have Fabbro come in, or Ellis stays and they use Fabbro to entice them to pick someone else.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
As long as there are no NMC/NTC clauses in there, then that should be a good deal. I'm not 100% convinced yet that Ellis is that good - he was for most of his partial season last year, until the playoffs, but I'm not sure he has been in past seasons and I'm not sure how durable he will be over 8 more years. But then that's also why it's good to have no NMC/NTC... at least if he can't live up to the terms of this, and Poile has no better options at expansion time, he will be movable.

I was pretty sure after that quote from Poile a few days ago that we'd be reading about this soon... he doesn't often say anything like that without something coming.
:handclap:

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I think he could have got closer to 7-7.25 on the open market. His AAV is a win for us. I think the deal is a good compromise. Poile gets a lower than expected AAV so he can continue to keep or add players while the team is in a cup window. Poile also avoids a NMC/NTC which affords flexibility. Ellis gets his money and has stability until he is 36/37. He wants to spend the rest of his career in Nashville but if he is moved he still has the most important things which are money and term.

I still think unless the Preds start winning cups here soon one of Ellis, Josi, or Subban is a goner.

Reactions: predhead1

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
8 years is a gamble on a 28 year old with an injury history. The AAV is a bit higher than Spurgeon who has been improving by the season.

It's not a fantastic deal. It's a meh deal.
Doesn't have a NMC/NTC tho.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
There's so much that can happen between now and the next 8 years I don't even care about the term. 6.5 should be like 4 today by then so I doubt we'll even notice, assuming he's even still here.

I look at it as more of what does this do for us over the next few years. And it is not a bad contract for that stretch at all.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. He's had a couple of knee injuries already and seems to get at least one injury that causes him to miss time every season.

I don't think he really was worth more than six a season and I have concerns about him in years 33-36.

Like I said the lack of a NTC/NMC makes the deal acceptable, but it certainly isn't a steal of contract.

Reactions: Tex76

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
As long as there are no NMC/NTC clauses in there, then that should be a good deal. I'm not 100% convinced yet that Ellis is that good - he was for most of his partial season last year, until the playoffs, but I'm not sure he has been in past seasons and I'm not sure how durable he will be over 8 more years. But then that's also why it's good to have no NMC/NTC... at least if he can't live up to the terms of this, and Poile has no better options at expansion time, he will be movable.

I was pretty sure after that quote from Poile a few days ago that we'd be reading about this soon... he doesn't often say anything like that without something coming.
:handclap:

What does that good mean? I think it can be argued he was good before he had an amazing half season, statistically, last season, I think Ellis took longer to develop than many thought but since he has been in the league I've seen a steady improvement every year. It's not atypical for defenseman not to hit their peak until their mid to late twenties. I think he has developed differently than expected but at the same time has developed as well as you could hope for. By that I mean he isn't the defensively challenged small offensive dynamo that was expected. Instead he became a steady defenseman whose size and skating didn't hurt him as much as expected. To counter that he also didn't become the offensive dynamo from the back end.

Last year in his 44 games he was on a roughly 17/18 goal 60 point pace. I'd agree he is not that good. If he was that good we wouldn't be getting him at 6.25 no matter the term. If he can settle into a 10-15 goal 40-45 point steady defenseman this contract is a win.

I agree about the durability but any player you sign for that long is a risk. I also agree the big win is no NMC/NTC. Poile has done a great job of building a SC contender, locking core guys down to good contracts but also keeping his options open for the future when the situation will inevitably change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad