News Article: Elliotte Friedman tidbits on Bruins weekend

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I find it absolutely astonishing that many teams didn't even know Hamilton was on the market.

That is absolute ****ing bull****. You're scared of an offer sheet? Let all the teams compete to get him and then it's not your problem anymore. Man, that's ****ing weak. He bowed to the first person who threatened to steal his Halloween candy. A prospect who has 8 NHL games played got more or less the same return as Hamilton. He has half the talent Hamilton does.

Joke.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I find it absolutely astonishing that many teams didn't even know Hamilton was on the market.

That is absolute ****ing bull****. You're scared of an offer sheet? Let all the teams compete to get him and then it's not your problem anymore. Man, that's ****ing weak. He bowed to the first person who threatened to steal his Halloween candy. A prospect who has 8 NHL games played got more or less the same return as Hamilton. He has half the talent Hamilton does.

Joke.

If you believe most of what was said, and I have no reason to doubt much of it, I'm just amazed how many times the Bruins were wrong.

Offered a deal to Hamilton. Shot down hard. Decide a deal can't get done. So, they thought they could get him signed...nope.

Try to get a deal with ARZ. Nope.
Edmonton. Nope.
Anyone else. Nope.

Trade back. Nope.

So on...

Why couldn't it just go easy?

Dougie Hamilton? Wow. Take Nurse. Take Duschene.

Nope.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Joke.

Here is the thing - Hamilton DIDN'T have that much leverage. In the end he has to deal with the team that makes an offer sheet or the team that has his rights.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Playing around with a spreadsheet...

If they signed Hamilton at $7.0 million/year and found a taker for Savard's contract, they'd be about $2.5 million under the cap with 18 players under contract. They'd still need to sign Spooner, Connolly, and Martin Jones. They'd probably also want a 13th forward.

But the real problems could potentially come two and three years down the road when they'd need to sign guys like Eriksson, Krug, Marchand, and Pastrnak.

I don't know, honestly. And sorry for the iPad run together sentences. Just feel this is FUBAR, and angry @ Cam & Don.

IF they think anyone will stand for Sinden era chaos, I'll see ya. SEE YA! *******S!

Where are you Fire Chia crew? What have you got now? what's your plan, armchair GM?

Effing crickets, and yes that's a double entandre.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
BTW - This was the FRONT page on Sunday

bh_Jun282015_A001.jpg

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

Joke.

This 100%.

Even if you have no intention of sending him east, you put everyone on notice early and let them drive up the price through competing offers.

I also think this silly / idiotic hockey convention where teams don't like trading players in-conference. Why? I can see not dealing with the Habs, but hiding Hamilton from all GMs in the East until the 11th hour? Amateurish.

Last edited:

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
...Myself, I give Lucic that deal [8/56] 10 times out of 10. The only forward I value more then him on the team would be Bergeron. I'm thinking it's going to be a very very long year, especially for Rask.

Surely you can't be serious.

And what does losing Lucic have to do with Rask having a very, very long year?

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
I love the front page on Boston Herald. At least the media is sticking it to them. The train wreck Bruins management certainly deserves it.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Playing around with a spreadsheet...

If they signed Hamilton at $7.0 million/year and found a taker for Savard's contract, they'd be about $2.5 million under the cap with 18 players under contract. They'd still need to sign Spooner, Connolly, and Martin Jones. They'd probably also want a 13th forward.

But the real problems could potentially come two and three years down the road when they'd need to sign guys like Eriksson, Krug, Marchand, and Pastrnak.

Are you counting McQuaid, another rhd, if they extend Hamilton they let McQuaid walk, they have plenty of guys for the third pair. That would add back 2.75 million for each of the next 4 years.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
I can think of worse. 4/11 for a replaceable 6th D for instance.

I couldn't believe they threw this one out there in the middle of that afternoon right after DH's trade. I love Quaider, don't get me wrong. But this contract was a little messed up. I was also quite surprised to hear that other teams were actually shopping him, which maybe drove his price up a little.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I love the front page on Boston Herald. At least the media is sticking it to them. The train wreck Bruins management certainly deserves it.

I`ll wager Sweeney could care less and slept reasonably well last night

I don`t know what the plan is, not sure I have faith in the plan, but I also think there`s more to come over the remainder of the summer so while I`m less than impressed thus far, a few moves here and there could change that

I bet if we dug hard enough, Buckley at some point probably had a column out about Dougie being soft and making too many mistakes or Looch looking less than interested and not being half the physical presence he once was...

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
Clearly not. I mean Sweeney's a ****tard but he wouldn't pick a mid first over Duchene.

So basically, it sounds like negotiations went south and Sweeney panic traded. He couldn't get the third from Arizona, couldn't get Nurse from Edmonton, whatever was going on with Colorado didn't work. Calgary and Edmonton were both threatening to offer sheet, which would give him picks next season rather than this season, so he chose to take the picks this season and burn Chiarelli.

The return is still bull****. You should know well before draft day that you are trading arguably the most valuable asset on the market. He should have been negotiating with Dougie a month ago, and when it was clear something wasn't going to happen, start shopping him then.

If you want to trade him West fine, but at least let the Eastern GMs know to drive up the prices. If two weeks ago Chiarelli knows Dougie's on the market and knows other teams are bidding Nurse might suddenly become available.

Sweeney blew it. He pulled the classic Boston bull**** and did it like an amateur. The ball was in his court here. He had who was by far the biggest return potential on the market and got **** in return. Embarrassing.

This post makes the most sense all around to me. Which really is embarrassing the way they handled it last minute.

dup7

Jul 5, 2006
Halifax, NS
what is better than last years 96 point team

1. Spooner and Pasta over Paille and Campbell from day 1
2. Claude knowing Spooner and Pasta from day 1 what he has
3. Martin Jones should make Tuukka better and he's very good himself
4. Seidenberg and Chara expected to be healthier
5. David Krejci healthy

what is not better
1. We lost Norris Trophy favorite Doug Hamiton
2. We lose a foundational player in Lucic

Love your stuff here but this is at best an overly optimistic view. You're taking a top, high impact forward and arguably the team's best d-man out without any replacement (albeit there is still time for adjustments).

Would love to know what Chara/Bergeron/Rask et al think of the moves....it can't be a good feeling to see two key pieces gone and the return is nothing but potential future assets. You either fully rebuild or you tweak - there's no in between.

Perhaps the most disheartened I felt all week was the look of desperation and clear agitation on Sweeny's face at the draft table. At one point he actually slammed the phone down in anger. That worries be deeply.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It's interesting Sweeney did talk to some people about Hamilton, and in each case there were guys that were off the table.

I would think anyone would be on the table. Right? This is Dougie Hamilton we're talking about. Can't miss franchise defenseman.

All people had to do was review their draft notes on Hamilton to see why nobody was lining up to bowl the Bruins over.

Kaoz

Apr 8, 2015
Surely you can't be serious.

And what does losing Lucic have to do with Rask having a very, very long year?

Surely I can be. Mark it, revisit it, and we'll see if I'm right. Lucic was consistently one of Boston's most productive players on the ice and constantly Boston's most physical. The last time Boston had a roster this soft was coincidentally immediately before Lucic's addition to the roster when Dave Lewis was running the show. When guys like Stan Chistov and Brad Boyes were forced to do the heavy lifting for the team (not a joke).

Boston now has what has to be one of the weakest winger pools in the NHL. Eriksson and Marchand are easily the Bruins best and they're best suited for second line roles on good days. Behind them are a slew of unproven at best hopefuls. Pastrnak, Connoly, Griffith, Ferlin, Florek. It's hard to see any of them stepping into a top line role anytime soon if ever, or even into a consistent top 6 role, and asking them to do so is setting everyone up for disappointment.

That's not even touching on the defensive issues now facing this team. An aging Chara, a Seidenberg who hasn't been in top form since 2011, an overpaid bottom pairing Dman in McQuaid, an unproven commodity in Joe Morrow, and Torey Krug.

Where is Boston strong? Up the middle and goalie. Other then testing the theory that center and tender are the most important positions what do people honestly see this roster accomplishing? Even our organizational strength is highly dependent on others. Krejci is a setup man, who's he going to set up this year? In my opinion this is year people start to realize he is more dependent on his wingers then vice versa. Bergeron will no doubt bring his Selke level defensive game once again but will also bring the consistent offensive production with it. Spooner slots in at 3rd line C, but barring injury isn't pushing one of the other two out and as such, will have fairly limited impact. I don't even know where Kelly slots in any more, most likely on Spooner's wing knowing Julien.

There'll be no "big or bad" this season, and that's the only identity the Bruins have ever been able to succeed with. They've lost by far (I can't stress that enough) their most physical player. Every other time they've ventured off of that beaten apth it has failed horribly.

It will be a long year for Rask because there will be little to no offense. Without more major changes I can easily see this team finishing well into the bottom half of the league for offensive production. It will be Thomas in 2006/2007 all over again. No matter how many times he stands on his head, the team in front of him will allow more quality opportunities. He'll be an easy whipping boy.

I'm painting an incredibly bleak picture I know and it's all just opinion (I don't claim to be psychic) , but to be fair this isn't our first go around. People here didn't believe trading Kessel would kill this team offensively, but it did and they didn't get it back until they went out an acquired Horton. This Lucic deal will be much the same. For some reason some Boston fans too readily dismiss the value of wingers and we really shouldn't. They were already down a top winger, now they're down two.

And you did ask.

Oh, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see LA win the cup. That's my bet anyway.

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
All people had to do was review their draft notes on Hamilton to see why nobody was lining up to bowl the Bruins over.

Well said Lou. There's a reason why Hamilton fell in the draft.

The ball was in Dougie's court and the Bruins were handcuffed.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015

Or could it have been that they drastically limited their market by deciding not to deal him in the East, and having at least some GMs not even be aware Hamilton was moving.

Add to that they were likely reactively taking offers on Hamilton rather than probing for certain players they wanted and building packages based off of Hamilton being the center piece.

Yeah, there's a reason Hamilton fell in the draft, there's also a reason the Bruins are universally getting killed for this return. Calgary just happened to be the beneficiary of an inexperienced GM and an executive group who are likely in over their heads.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
what is better than last years 96 point team

1. Spooner and Pasta over Paille and Campbell from day 1
2. Claude knowing Spooner and Pasta from day 1 what he has
3. Martin Jones should make Tuukka better and he's very good himself
4. Seidenberg and Chara expected to be healthier
5. David Krejci healthy

what is not better
1. We lost Norris Trophy favorite Doug Hamiton
2. We lose a foundational player in Lucic

Soderberg? Paille?

You can only subtract so much quality veteran play and expect it to just be fine. Soupy is addition by subtraction, but the rest will be felt for sure.

Chara and Seidenberg are also one year OLDER, in a time where 1 more year is a lot on these old bodies.

Here is the thing - Hamilton DIDN'T have that much leverage. In the end he has to deal with the team that makes an offer sheet or the team that has his rights.

Yeah that's the part that really kills me in all this.

Kaoz

Apr 8, 2015

Interesting, can you be more specific? I don't remember anything specific to any character flaws, only aspects of his game that needed work. Looking back I can't see anything that sticks out, but older draft reports are often hard to find.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-nex...raft-prospect-profile-the-next-big-blueliner/

Well said Lou. There's a reason why Hamilton fell in the draft.

The ball was in Dougie's court and the Bruins were handcuffed.

This kind of makes it seem like there weren't great picks ahead of him as well, and correct me if I'm wrong, I don't remember that to be the case. I think the only real reach before Hamilton was Scheifele and he's proving the Jets had a better idea of his potential then others did. I believe the mocks at that point had him going anywhere from 5th to 10th.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/40928-THNs-2011-NHL-Mock-Draft.html

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad