Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Elliotte Freidman 30 thoughts today touches on several Bruins fronts

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-canucks-bieksa-deserves-better/

30 Thoughts

1. Vancouver tried lots of things on Saturday. It was deep into the Milan Lucic sweepstakes, and apparently circled back to Boston on Saturday to see if the Bruins were still interested in Bieksa. It’s likely they pitched Zack Kassian too, as a kind of Lucic-Lite. Didn’t go anywhere. Could see Boston needing to take a trade time-out, though.

4. The Dougie Hamilton trade watch was a real rollercoaster. As news broke Friday morning, it looked like Arizona was going to be his next home. But, as we learned later, GM Don Maloney’s staff pushed back at any move that prevented them from getting Dylan Strome in the draft.

No deal with the Bruins — whose highest selection would turn out to be 13 — was going to allow that. There was a point where things were close with Colorado, but that didn’t work, either. Edmonton felt it could provide a prettier cornucopia of draft picks, but for Peter Chiarelli, the price was going to be higher, since Boston’s worry of an offer sheet from him started all this. The Oilers were not going to include Darnell Nurse.

Teams were upset that they didn’t know of Hamilton’s availability until it was too late, probably because the Bruins preferred to send him West.

5. You don’t need to look hard to find reaction to Boston’s moves.

I’m more curious about practical analysis, as in, what does this tell us about the new regime? One GM compared it to “Harry Sinden running the team again.†What he meant was Hamilton and Milan Lucic made contract asks the Bruins didn’t like, and rather than doing much negotiating, pulled the trigger.

To be fair, Don Sweeney was up against a July 1 offer sheet possibility, although not with Lucic.

The best information I can give you is it appears the team offered six years and $33M to Hamilton, while the response was about $2M per year higher.

Sometimes, we get caught up in initial proposals. Any good negotiator will tell you to exaggerate your opening position. As for Lucic, I’m not sure money was discussed. This was about term. He opened with eight years. Don’t think Boston wanted to go higher than five.

10. One Western Conference coach on Lucic: “Heâ€s going to have a huge year. We all know it.â€

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Colorado was in on Dougie? Duchene?

Clearly not. I mean Sweeney's a ****tard but he wouldn't pick a mid first over Duchene.

So basically, it sounds like negotiations went south and Sweeney panic traded. He couldn't get the third from Arizona, couldn't get Nurse from Edmonton, whatever was going on with Colorado didn't work. Calgary and Edmonton were both threatening to offer sheet, which would give him picks next season rather than this season, so he chose to take the picks this season and burn Chiarelli.

The return is still bull****. You should know well before draft day that you are trading arguably the most valuable asset on the market. He should have been negotiating with Dougie a month ago, and when it was clear something wasn't going to happen, start shopping him then.

If you want to trade him West fine, but at least let the Eastern GMs know to drive up the prices. If two weeks ago Chiarelli knows Dougie's on the market and knows other teams are bidding Nurse might suddenly become available.

Sweeney blew it. He pulled the classic Boston bull**** and did it like an amateur. The ball was in his court here. He had who was by far the biggest return potential on the market and got **** in return. Embarrassing.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Well maybe in 3 or 4 years Pasta will have some swell new players to play with.

As it stands right now the B's are ****ed.

I hope the stupid management has something up their sleeve because so far what they have done sucks.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

I hope the stupid management has something up their sleeve because so far what they have done sucks.

If he makes it that long. Dealing players after their ELC isn't really starting to be seen as a coincidence anymore.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Ok so Lucic wanted 8 years and Hamilton wanted 6 years 45 million ? Good Lord Sweeney would have been grilled worse for going 8/56 and 6/45

Lucic, more than likely. Giving him eight years is obscene. Dougie? Eh, hard to say. Knowing we had a top tier guy in our program for quite a few years would have made me feel a lot better, even if the price is steep.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
Ok so Lucic wanted 8 years and Hamilton wanted 6 years 45 million ? Good Lord Sweeney would have been grilled worse for going 8/56 and 6/45

Lucic at 8/56 is laughable. Actually offensive.

Hamilton at 6/45 is the cost of doing biz. Especially considering what Boychuck got.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Per Elliotte Freidman :
"The best information I can give you is it appears the team offered six years and $33M to Hamilton, while the response was about $2M per year higher".

So some where in between is where Calgary will probably lock him up at.

Freidman is pretty reliable, So I really can't blame the Bruins for shopping him but I wouldn't of minded some instant help coming back even if it was from the east.

We'll have to wait and see on Dougie's development. What the Bruins do with the cap space they had planned for Dougie and of course the development of the three players they got for him. Zach Senyshyn, JF Karlsson and Jeremy Lauzon. Before we can say who really won this trade!

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast

Agree 100% Ladyfan!

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC

Yeah, but he didn't need to trade both.

I don't think Dougie will get that. He's a good player, but he's not Lidstrom. They needed to negotiate and keep Dougie. If they knew Lucic wasn't going to sign here, they got a good return for him. I'm very high on Lucic, so that was painful, but I understand the move.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
The b's should have held out to see if an offersheet came along. If it did match it. If one didn't show (which i think was going to be the case) file for arbitration.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Elliotte Freidman 30 thoughts today touches on several Bruins fronts

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-canucks-bieksa-deserves-better/

hey Fenway, I take it your 50ish like me.

You got kids?

you give them everything?

hockey related

you give Looch 8 years? me, no.....you give Looch 7 years? me, no....you give Looch 6 years? me, no....you give Looch 5 years? me- yes

you offer Dougie Hamilton 6/$33? (if you believe Friedman that was $12 M to short?

I don't give Dougie the 6/$33....two year bridge deal at $5 per is more than fair.....if Edmonton wants to offer him a deal I make it clear to Peter we can talk a deal that includes Nurse or Draistail and your first next year and we will shove a Koho up your ass every chance you come do with a UFA you bald headed POS (that is the angry me GM'ing:))

so Harry Sinden is back running the team

what a collection of idiots in the media writing this crap

InterimGM

May 6, 2015

And what about Hamilton at 6/39 vs paying that to the crap UFA class?

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010

Keep negotiating and meet them in the middle. It doesn't mean you have to give them every penny they are asking for.

Anyways, the Lucic trade was actually really good. Trading Hamilton will be another disaster, I'm sure he would have come down atleast 500k per year, with the cap going up every year it would be manageable for a young bonafide #1d.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I don't blame Sweeney for moving Looch if he wanted 8 years.

I think what Dougie wanted was steep and I can see why the FO balked but I also wonder why they weren't looking for middle ground. I think the team got fleeced in the Dougie deal and I'm still not a fan of the decision.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Keep negotiating and meet them in the middle. It doesn't mean you have to give them every penny they are asking for.

Anyways, the Lucic trade was actually really good. Trading Hamilton will be another disaster, I'm sure he would have come down atleast 500k per year, with the cap going up every year it would be manageable for a bonafide #1d.

ummm....Dom, Kirk, Wally please confirm if true:laugh:

I may be off here but don't think so....its tough to meet in the middle when they don't call you back. Just sayin';)

Iceage

Jun 26, 2013
Per Elliotte Freidman :
"The best information I can give you is it appears the team offered six years and $33M to Hamilton, while the response was about $2M per year higher".

So some where in between is where Calgary will probably lock him up at.

Freidman is pretty reliable, So I really can't blame the Bruins for shopping him but I wouldn't of minded some instant help coming back even if it was from the east.

We'll have to wait and see on Dougie's development. What the Bruins do with the cap space they had planned for Dougie and of course the development of the three players they got for him. Zach Senyshyn, JF Karlsson and Jeremy Lauzon. Before we can say who really won this trade!

So what happens if Hamiltondoesnt want to sign with Calgary?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Anyways, the Lucic trade was actually really good. Trading Hamilton will be another disaster, I'm sure he would have come down atleast 500k per year, with the cap going up every year it would be manageable for a young bonafide #1d.

Not yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad